Performing a Business Impact Analysis (BIA) identifies:
* Critical business processes & Vital Business Functions
* Potential damage or loss caused by disruption
* Possible escalations caused by damage or loss
* Necessary resources required to enable continuity of critical business processes
* Time constraints for minimum recovery of facilities and services
* Time constraints for complete recovery of facilities and services.
* Gather information on assets (IT infrastructure components)
* Threats from both Internal & external sources (the likelihood of occurring)
* Vulnerabilities (the extent of impact or effect on organization).
Measures to prevent or recover from disaster
Using non-IT based solution to overcome IT service disruption
Aka Cold standby (>72hrs to recover from a ‘Disaster’)
Aka Warm standby (24-72hrs to recover from a ‘Disaster’)
Aka Hot standby (< 24hrs, usually implies 1-2 hrs to recover from a ‘Disaster) Reciprocal Arrangement: Agreement with another similar sized company to share disaster recovery obligations