Just like any other ITIL®® process, a balanced range of metrics must be used to demonstrate effectiveness and efficiency of the Incident Management process, including:
* Total number of incidents
* Percentage of Incidents handled within agreed response time (Incident response-time targets may be specified in SLAs, for example, by impact code)
* Average cost per Incident
* Percentage of Incidents closed by the Service Desk without reference to other levels of support
* Number and percentage of Incidents resolved remotely, without the need for a physical visit.