To evaluate the true performance of the Service Desk, a balanced range of metrics should be established and reviewed at regular intervals. Especially dangerous is the tendency to focus on “average call time” or “number of calls answered” metrics, which can mask underlying issues with the quality of support provided.
Some of the typical metrics reviewed when monitoring the performance of the Service Desk include:
* The number of calls to Service Desk (broken down by type and work period)
* First-line resolution rate
* Average Service Desk cost of handling any incident or request
* Number of knowledgebase articles created
* Number or percentage of SLA breaches
* Call resolution time
* Customer satisfaction (surveys)
* Use of self help (where exists).