The primary objective of Service Transition is the development and improvement of capabilities for transitioning new and modified services into operation.
Other objectives include:
* To ensure that new and changed services meet customer requirements and do not adversely impact the IT infrastructure or business processes
* To reduce the variation between estimated and actual costs, timeframes, risks and impact scales
* To build, configure, test and deploy quality Releases into operation in the most efficient manner while also minimizing disruption to the business and customers.
Effective Service Transition can significantly improve a Service provider’s ability to effectively handle high volumes of change and releases across its Customer base. Other benefits delivered include:
* Increased success rate of Changes and Releases
* More accurate estimations of Service Levels and Warranties
* Less variation of costs and other resources against those estimated in budgets.