SQL Server System refers to a relational database management system under Microsoft. Through the years, SQL Server System was released in various versions and is continually being improved. The latest version is SQL Server 2008 which is meant to be self-maintaining and self-organizing
SQL Server System has its regular operation functions for the database system. However, it also has different add-on services, which offers value-added services aside from its primary data management function.
What are these services?
1. Service Broker service is a dependable messaging and message queuing platform for SQL Server applications. It is basically used for communication over TCP/IP. It also allows the different components to be synchronized together using exchanges of messages.
2. Replication services under the SQL Server System are used to replicate and synchronize database objects. Objects can be replicated entirely or just some parts. It supports three different types of replication. It can be a transaction replication, a merge replication or a snapshot replication.
3. SQL Server System also provides analysis services, which includes numerous algorithms. It can be decision trees, clustering algorithm, time series analysis, sequence clustering algorithm, linear and logistic regression analysis, and others.
4. Reporting Services under the SQL Server System provides a report generation environment. This data, of course, is gathered from SQL Server databases and is administered through a web interface. The reports come out as RDL files.
5. Notification Services is only available in the SQL Server 2005. This is basically for notification purposes. It works when a subscriber registers for a transaction. When the transaction or event occurs, then notification services using Service Broker informs the subscriber of the occurrence of the event.
There are many still many services under the SQL Server System that a user can explore and later could use to his advantage.