Items 1 – 15 of 79 … ITIL (IT Infrastructure Library) is a framework for IT Service Management. It is arguably the most commonly used methodology for the design, …
Information System is a system that handles the flow and maintenance of information, which supports the business operation. The components of information systems are people, equipment, procedures and data. Information Systems are used by organization for different purposes.
The following are the six types of information systems and functions:
1. Transaction Processing Systems (TPS) serve the people in the operational level of an organization. It collects and stores information about transactions, and controls some aspects of transactions. A sale of item in the store is an example of a transaction.
2. Knowledge work systems (KWS) is used by technical staff as model functions to convert design specifications into graphical designs. It uses computer-aided design/manufacture (CAD/CAM).
3. Office automation systems (OAS) serve those that belong to the knowledge level of an organization. The system helps individuals in the processing of personal and organizational data, perform calculations, and create documents. e.g. word processing, spreadsheets, file managers, personal calendars, presentation packages.
4. Decision-support systems (DSS) help the strategic management staff (senior officers) in making decisions. The system uses information, models, or analysis tools in order for managers to make simulations and predictions. Example of DSS is the 5-year investment plan.
5. Management information systems (MIS) serve the management level of the organization. The system condenses and converts the TPS data into information for purposes of monitoring performance and managing the organization. Transactions that were recorded in the TPS are analyzed and reported by an MIS. Example of an MIS output is the budget report.
6. Executive support systems (ESS) serve the strategic level of an organization. A system provides top-level executive of a readily accessible, interactive format to get the overview of the entire organizations performance.