How important is Quality management to your company? Is your top priority to earn profits? Does your company provide the quality service to your customers as well as to your employees? What is your position in the market industry or to your competitors?
Standards have been developed to provide
framework for companies to base their quality management performance system. This family of standards is known as the ISO 9000. The ISO 9000 family of standards include the ISO 9000:2000 Quality Management Systems Fundamentals and Vocabulary, the ISO 9001:2000 Quality Management System requirements and ISO 9004:2000 Quality management System guidelines for performance improvement. ISO 9000 is being maintained by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO).
To qualify for an ISO 9000 is to meet some of the requirements in the ISO 9001 (one of the standards in the ISO 9000 family) which are to ensure:
1. that all the key processes of the business are covered with set of procedures
2. that monitoring processes are effectively carried out
3. that records are adequately kept
4. that in checking of output defects, a corrective action is at hand when needed
5. that effectiveness of the individual processes and quality system through a conduct of regular review
6. that continual improvement is being facilitated.
The acknowledgement of companies in the adoption of the ISO 9000 standards within their companies have led to positive effect on their investment, market share, sales growth, sales margins, competitive advantage, and avoidance of litigation. ISO 9000 standards is not only a marketing tool but it also speaks of what your company is in the market industry.