What is involved in Business rules
Find out what the related areas are that Business rules connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Business rules thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Business rules engine journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Business rules engine leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Business rules related domains to cover and 106 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Business rules, Business rule, Business, Business Process Modeling Notation, Business analysis, Business analyst, Business logic, Business process, Business rule management system, Business rule mining, Business rules approach, Conceptual schema, Decision Model and Notation, Drools, Ephemeral, Glossary, Knowledge, Semantics of Business Vocabulary and Business Rules, Z notation:
Business rules Critical Criteria:
Face Business rules projects and find answers.
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Business rules strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– Among the Business rules product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– Why are Business rules skills important?
Business rule Critical Criteria:
Brainstorm over Business rule visions and devise Business rule key steps.
– If enterprise data were always kept fully normalized and updated for business rule changes, would any system re-writes or replacement purchases be necessary?
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Business rules processes?
– How do we Identify specific Business rules investment and emerging trends?
– How can the value of Business rules be defined?
Business Critical Criteria:
Differentiate Business management and research ways can we become the Business company that would put us out of business.
– If an institution contracts with an entity or individual to provide financial aid staffing or management for the administration of its Title IV programs, is the individual or entity considered a third-party servicer?
– Does the software let users work with the existing data infrastructure already in place, freeing your it team from creating more cubes, universes, and standalone marts?
– Does the support team truly understand the product and the business needs of a PSO, or is it an outsourced or off-shore group with only a peripheral understanding?
– Does the software allow users to bring in data from outside the company on-the-flylike demographics and market research to augment corporate data?
– How do we establish a strategic alliance in terms of confidentiality agreements, termination agreements, and negotiation strategies?
– What information can be provided in regards to a sites usage and business intelligence usage within the intranet environment?
– Would your company benefit greatly if the supplier were more integrally connected with your company?
– Are there any specific rules businesses should be following in order to ensure compliance?
– What are the primary business drivers for our initiative. What business challenges do we face?
– Was your software written by your organization or acquired from a third party?
– Who prioritizes, conducts and monitors business intelligence projects?
– Can your bi solution quickly locate dashboard on your mobile device?
– How can we align our activities with the goals of the business?
– What business outcomes do you expect DevOps practices to deliver?
– How is business intelligence disseminated?
– Why do we need business intelligence?
– Do you offer formal user training?
– Using dashboard functions?
Business Process Modeling Notation Critical Criteria:
Devise Business Process Modeling Notation failures and develop and take control of the Business Process Modeling Notation initiative.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Business rules workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– How can you measure Business rules in a systematic way?
Business analysis Critical Criteria:
Sort Business analysis governance and acquire concise Business analysis education.
– What happens to the function of the business analysis in user story development?
– To what extent does management recognize Business rules as a tool to increase the results?
– How do we keep improving Business rules?
– How can we improve Business rules?
Business analyst Critical Criteria:
Probe Business analyst outcomes and ask questions.
– What are typical responsibilities of someone in the role of Business Analyst?
– What is the difference between a Business Architect and a Business Analyst?
– Do business analysts know the cost of feature addition or modification?
– What is Effective Business rules?
– How to Secure Business rules?
Business logic Critical Criteria:
Co-operate on Business logic decisions and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Business logic.
– What management system can we use to leverage the Business rules experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Business rules forward?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Business rules that make it risky?
Business process Critical Criteria:
Grade Business process governance and intervene in Business process processes and leadership.
– Do we identify maximum allowable downtime for critical business functions, acceptable levels of data loss and backlogged transactions, RTOs, RPOs, recovery of the critical path (i.e., business processes or systems that should receive the highest priority), and the costs associated with downtime? Are the approved thresholds appropriate?
– What is the importance of knowing the key performance indicators KPIs for a business process when trying to implement a business intelligence system?
– Are interruptions to business activities counteracted and critical business processes protected from the effects of major failures or disasters?
– Has business process Cybersecurity has been included in continuity of operations plans for areas such as customer data, billing, etc.?
– When conducting a business process reengineering study, what should we look for when trying to identify business processes to change?
– Do you design data protection and privacy requirements into the development of your business processes and new systems?
– What finance, procurement and Human Resources business processes should be included in the scope of a erp solution?
– If we process purchase orders; what is the desired business process around supporting purchase orders?
– How do you inventory and assess business processes as part of an ERP evaluation?
– Will existing staff require re-training, for example, to learn new business processes?
– Do changes in business processes fall under the scope of Change Management?
– What business process supports the entry and validation of the data?
– What core business processes drive our industry and channel today?
– Do Business rules rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
– Are assumptions made in Business rules stated explicitly?
– What/how are business processes defined?
– What is the business process?
Business rule management system Critical Criteria:
Revitalize Business rule management system quality and describe which business rules are needed as Business rule management system interface.
– What is the total cost related to deploying Business rules, including any consulting or professional services?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Business rules requirements in detail?
– Is there any existing Business rules governance structure?
Business rule mining Critical Criteria:
Depict Business rule mining strategies and devise Business rule mining key steps.
– Consider your own Business rules project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– Think of your Business rules project. what are the main functions?
– Which Business rules goals are the most important?
Business rules approach Critical Criteria:
Transcribe Business rules approach decisions and oversee implementation of Business rules approach.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Business rules strengthening and reform actually originate?
– How do we measure improved Business rules service perception, and satisfaction?
– How do we manage Business rules Knowledge Management (KM)?
Conceptual schema Critical Criteria:
Be responsible for Conceptual schema planning and be persistent.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Business rules services/products?
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Business rules? There might be some that are less obvious?
– How will you measure your Business rules effectiveness?
Decision Model and Notation Critical Criteria:
Illustrate Decision Model and Notation quality and slay a dragon.
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Business rules leader?
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Business rules project manager?
– What are the Essentials of Internal Business rules Management?
Drools Critical Criteria:
Shape Drools tasks and perfect Drools conflict management.
– When a Business rules manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Business rules activities?
– What are the barriers to increased Business rules production?
Ephemeral Critical Criteria:
Group Ephemeral tactics and probe the present value of growth of Ephemeral.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Business rules product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– Is Business rules Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
Glossary Critical Criteria:
Collaborate on Glossary visions and define what our big hairy audacious Glossary goal is.
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Business rules delivery for example is new software needed?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Business rules study?
– What is our Business rules Strategy?
Knowledge Critical Criteria:
Win new insights about Knowledge quality and find the essential reading for Knowledge researchers.
– Rapidly increasing specialization of skill and knowledge presents a major management challenge. How does an organization maintain a work environment that supports specialization without compromising its ability to marshal its full range of Human Resources and turn on a dime to implement strategic imperatives?
– What is the framework we use for general Cybersecurity certifications that integrate both knowledge and skill while predicting constraints of innate abilities on performance, and do we need specific certifications?
– What domains of knowledge and types of Cybersecurity-associated skills and abilities are necessary for engineers involved in operating industrial processes to achieve safe and reliable operating goals?
– How do we get started on this major task and what critical knowledge do we need to consider from a People, Process, Product and Partner perspective?
– Do we address the daunting challenge of Big Data: how to make an easy use of highly diverse data and provide knowledge?
– What are you trying to achieve (e.g. specific knowledge, opinion and/or behavior outcome to be achieved)?
– What specialized bi knowledge does your business have that can be leveraged?
– Which program has the most knowledge of the useful value of the information?
– What are some common criticisms of Sharepoint as a knowledge sharing tool?
– What is the role of Project Management Body of Knowledge?
– Does customer knowledge affect how loyalty is formed?
– What are the gaps in my knowledge and experience?
– How is Knowledge Management Measured?
Semantics of Business Vocabulary and Business Rules Critical Criteria:
Brainstorm over Semantics of Business Vocabulary and Business Rules engagements and create a map for yourself.
– What are internal and external Business rules relations?
Z notation Critical Criteria:
Boost Z notation projects and raise human resource and employment practices for Z notation.
– How do mission and objectives affect the Business rules processes of our organization?
– Does the Business rules task fit the clients priorities?
– Why is Business rules important for you now?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Business rules engine Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Business rules External links:
Business Rules Engine Software | Pega
Business rule External links:
[PDF]Business Rule Number – Internal Revenue Service
Triggering event from Business rule | ServiceNow Community
Business External links:
Title Business Development Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
Small Business Administration – Official Site
Business Process Modeling Notation External links:
Business Process Modeling Notation – An Overview
Business analysis External links:
Inteq Group – Business Analysis ? Business Transformation
Business analysis (eBook, 2010) [WorldCat.org]
Business analyst External links:
Business Analyst Jobs | Glassdoor
[PDF]POSITION TITLE: Business Analyst – CECity
Title Senior Business Analyst Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
Business logic External links:
Business logic – How is Business logic abbreviated?
[PDF]business logic model – PerformanceXpress
Business process External links:
What is business process? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Business Process Manager Job Description and Salary
Business Process Manager Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
Business rule management system External links:
The Anatomy of a Business Rule Management System
Business Rule Management System – Research Corridor
Business rule mining External links:
Business Rule Mining from Spreadsheets – SAO/NASA …
Business rules approach External links:
The Business Rules Approach and Its Effect on Software …
Conceptual schema External links:
[MC-CSDL]: Conceptual Schema Definition File Format
Decision Model and Notation External links:
What is Decision Model and Notation – DMN?
[PDF]Decision Model and Notation – OMG Issue Tracker
Drools External links:
Drools – Documentation
Beginning Drools – Rule Engines in Java – YouTube
Ephemeral External links:
Ephemeral Rift – Home | Facebook
FIX: TCP connections that use ephemeral loopback …
Ephemeral Synonyms, Ephemeral Antonyms | …
Glossary External links:
Glossary – Lending Glossary
Glossary of Insurance Terms – A. M. Best
Glossary of Legal Terms | United States Courts
Knowledge External links:
Core Knowledge Foundation – Official Site
globalEDGE: Your source for Global Business Knowledge
Knowledge Exchange Disclaimer
Z notation External links:
The Z notation/?z?d/ is a formalspecification language used for describing and modelling computing systems. It is targeted at the clear specification of computer programs and computer-based systems in general.