What is involved in TOGAF
Find out what the related areas are that TOGAF connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a TOGAF thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its TOGAF journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward TOGAF leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which TOGAF related domains to cover and 115 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
TOGAF, The Open Group Architecture Framework, Applications architecture, Architecture domain, Architecture framework, Association of Enterprise Architects, Business architecture, Data architecture, Dow Jones Global Titans 50, Enterprise Architecture framework, Enterprise architecture, Fortune 500, IEEE 1471, Information architecture, Jaap Schekkerman, Library of Congress Control Number, Performance engineering, Service-oriented architecture, Technical Architecture Framework for Information Management, Technical architecture, The Open Group, US Department of Defense, United States Department of Defense, Virtual International Authority File:
TOGAF Critical Criteria:
Grasp TOGAF strategies and correct better engagement with TOGAF results.
– What are the data protection mechanisms to protect data from unauthorized external access?
– What are the data access requirements for standard file, message, and data management?
– How should processes in different organizations be interfaced to be most efficient?
– What business actions correspond to the creation and modification of the data?
– Are the levels and focus right for TOGAF enterprise architecture?
– What are the access requirements for decision support data?
– Creating a repository for Building Blocks (BBIB)?
– Why Should We Collaborate/Enter Partnership?
– What/how are business processes defined?
– What is an Architecture Framework?
– What have we achieved so far?
– What are the benefits of EA?
– What about TOGAF Analysis of results?
– What is an Architecture?
– Why is EA important?
– Is the scope of TOGAF defined?
– Who is involved?
The Open Group Architecture Framework Critical Criteria:
Coach on The Open Group Architecture Framework tasks and arbitrate The Open Group Architecture Framework techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– What are our best practices for minimizing TOGAF project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the TOGAF project lifecycle?
– Do we have past TOGAF Successes?
– Why are TOGAF skills important?
Applications architecture Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Applications architecture visions and gather practices for scaling Applications architecture.
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our TOGAF agendas for the next 3 years?
– Does TOGAF analysis show the relationships among important TOGAF factors?
Architecture domain Critical Criteria:
Track Architecture domain engagements and secure Architecture domain creativity.
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its TOGAF processes?
– Are assumptions made in TOGAF stated explicitly?
– Which TOGAF goals are the most important?
Architecture framework Critical Criteria:
Chart Architecture framework projects and look in other fields.
– What are specific TOGAF Rules to follow?
Association of Enterprise Architects Critical Criteria:
Bootstrap Association of Enterprise Architects projects and assess and formulate effective operational and Association of Enterprise Architects strategies.
– Does TOGAF analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
– How will you know that the TOGAF project has been successful?
Business architecture Critical Criteria:
Examine Business architecture outcomes and ask questions.
– To what extent does management recognize TOGAF as a tool to increase the results?
– Is TOGAF dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
– How do we manage TOGAF Knowledge Management (KM)?
Data architecture Critical Criteria:
Familiarize yourself with Data architecture tactics and question.
– Can we describe the data architecture and relationship between key variables. for example, are data stored in a spreadsheet with one row for each person/entity, a relational database, or some other format?
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of TOGAF into the services that we provide?
– Does your bi software work well with both centralized and decentralized data architectures and vendors?
– Do we need an enterprise data warehouse, a Data Lake, or both as part of our overall data architecture?
– Does the TOGAF task fit the clients priorities?
– Does TOGAF appropriately measure and monitor risk?
Dow Jones Global Titans 50 Critical Criteria:
Reorganize Dow Jones Global Titans 50 projects and get the big picture.
– Have you identified your TOGAF key performance indicators?
– What are the business goals TOGAF is aiming to achieve?
– How do we maintain TOGAFs Integrity?
Enterprise Architecture framework Critical Criteria:
Look at Enterprise Architecture framework tactics and simulate teachings and consultations on quality process improvement of Enterprise Architecture framework.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your TOGAF project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if TOGAF does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
Enterprise architecture Critical Criteria:
Inquire about Enterprise architecture decisions and adopt an insight outlook.
– With the increasing adoption of cloud computing do you think enterprise architecture as a discipline will become more or less important to us and why?
– Enterprise architecture planning. how does it align with to the to be architecture?
– How likely is the current TOGAF plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
– How does the standard fit into the Federal Enterprise Architecture (FEA)?
– Are Enterprise JavaBeans still relevant for enterprise architectures?
– Are software assets aligned with the agency enterprise architecture?
– Are software assets aligned with the organizations enterprise architecture?
– Is There a Role for Patterns in Enterprise Architecture?
– What is the value of mature Enterprise Architecture?
– Why Should we Consider Enterprise Architecture?
– What is an Enterprise Architecture?
– What Is Enterprise Architecture?
– Why Enterprise Architecture?
Fortune 500 Critical Criteria:
Gauge Fortune 500 decisions and point out Fortune 500 tensions in leadership.
– Who will provide the final approval of TOGAF deliverables?
– What are the Essentials of Internal TOGAF Management?
IEEE 1471 Critical Criteria:
Meet over IEEE 1471 quality and drive action.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your TOGAF strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– Have the types of risks that may impact TOGAF been identified and analyzed?
Information architecture Critical Criteria:
Weigh in on Information architecture leadership and point out Information architecture tensions in leadership.
– Users increasingly demand from web sites the ability to get information that is customized to their interests and needs. Many web sites now tailor their content through the use of architectures designed to support multiple audience types, or through technologies that allow users to profile their personal interests. These kinds of sites demonstrate that their designers are sensitive to the fact the users arent all the same. Besides the influence of users, marketing efforts have driven this trend to a large degree: why present general information to the broadest audience (e.g., trying to sell tobacco products to everyone, including the antismoking activists) when you can target information to prequalified market segments (e.g., selling expensive cigars to yuppies)?
– How important are hard measurements that show return on investment compared to soft measurements that demonstrate customer satisfaction and public perception?
– Is there a solution for identifying relevant information using structural and semantic relationships of various information elements?
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding TOGAF?
– How is critical business information classified (e.g., citizen, education, criminal, driver)?
– What are the risks if everyone on the project has full permissions on all of the information?
– Is there a requirement to measure and evaluate the volume of information being generated?
– Are business goals and objectives a direct translation of the companys vision statement?
– Is there a mechanism to search related information based on information semantics?
– What is the smallest section of content that needs to be individually indexed?
– Is there a requirement to federate search results from multiple sources?
– How would you organize a virtual bookstore or library or museum?
– Maybe include pointers to ongoing research in various areas?
– Are there any information policies that should be followed?
– How does the web site support your organizational mission?
– Have the standard types of search been evaluated for use?
– How to incorporate user preferences and past behavior?
– Can the project adequately manage risks?
– How is search zone indexing set up?
– Is there a metadata strategy?
Jaap Schekkerman Critical Criteria:
Bootstrap Jaap Schekkerman governance and look at the big picture.
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether TOGAF goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
Library of Congress Control Number Critical Criteria:
Analyze Library of Congress Control Number management and drive action.
– Does TOGAF include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– Does our organization need more TOGAF education?
– How do we go about Securing TOGAF?
Performance engineering Critical Criteria:
Substantiate Performance engineering results and find out.
– Who will be responsible for documenting the TOGAF requirements in detail?
– Are there TOGAF problems defined?
Service-oriented architecture Critical Criteria:
Confer over Service-oriented architecture issues and define what our big hairy audacious Service-oriented architecture goal is.
– Are accountability and ownership for TOGAF clearly defined?
– Who needs to know about TOGAF ?
Technical Architecture Framework for Information Management Critical Criteria:
Brainstorm over Technical Architecture Framework for Information Management issues and arbitrate Technical Architecture Framework for Information Management techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– Think about the people you identified for your TOGAF project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– What are internal and external TOGAF relations?
Technical architecture Critical Criteria:
Model after Technical architecture adoptions and find out.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of TOGAF product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– Is there any existing TOGAF governance structure?
The Open Group Critical Criteria:
Adapt The Open Group decisions and finalize specific methods for The Open Group acceptance.
– Can we add value to the current TOGAF decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a TOGAF strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
US Department of Defense Critical Criteria:
Systematize US Department of Defense results and spearhead techniques for implementing US Department of Defense.
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations TOGAF values?
– How can you measure TOGAF in a systematic way?
United States Department of Defense Critical Criteria:
Group United States Department of Defense outcomes and cater for concise United States Department of Defense education.
– When a TOGAF manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
– What are the Key enablers to make this TOGAF move?
Virtual International Authority File Critical Criteria:
Reconstruct Virtual International Authority File projects and document what potential Virtual International Authority File megatrends could make our business model obsolete.
– How do we measure improved TOGAF service perception, and satisfaction?
– What is the purpose of TOGAF in relation to the mission?
– How can we improve TOGAF?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the TOGAF Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
TOGAF External links:
Home Page | TOGAF® 9 Certification
[PDF]TOGAF 8 Certifi cation – The Open Group
[PDF]Togaf 9 Certified Study Guide – nikegolf.store
The Open Group Architecture Framework External links:
The Open Group Architecture Framework (TOGAF)
Applications architecture External links:
Enterprise Java Applications Architecture on VMware
Association of Enterprise Architects External links:
Association of Enterprise Architects – Acclaim
Chapters – Association of Enterprise Architects
Business architecture External links:
AgileLayer Business Architecture Capability Modeling …
What is Business Architecture? – The Open Group Blog
Capstera Business Architecture Software
Data architecture External links:
Certica Solutions: K-12 Cloud Platform and Data Architecture
Data Architecture | UDig
Data Roadmaps – Data Strategy, Data Architecture
Dow Jones Global Titans 50 External links:
Dow Jones Global Titans 50 Index (^DJGT) News – YCharts
Enterprise Architecture framework External links:
[PDF]Fact Sheet: Enterprise Architecture Framework for …
Enterprise architecture External links:
Enterprise Architecture Professional Journal
Enterprise Architecture – CDT Services
Fortune 500 External links:
Tesla joins the Fortune 500 – Jun. 7, 2017 – CNNMoney
Information architecture External links:
Information Architecture | The Understanding Group
Information Architecture | Kent State University
Information Architecture Resource Library | IA Institute
Library of Congress Control Number External links:
Library of Congress Control Number – Balboa Press
CiteSeerX — Library of Congress Control Number: 2006926211
What is an LCCN (Library of Congress Control Number)?
Performance engineering External links:
Lingenfelter Performance Engineering – Official Site
KPE Korkar Performance Engineering
Technical architecture External links:
DPW Technical Architecture v1.4 | dpw
Babel For Technical Architecture Design – Home | Facebook
The Open Group External links:
The Open Group Open FAIR™ Certification Program
The Open Group Professional Certifications – Pearson VUE
Customer Service :: The Open Group – Pearson VUE
United States Department of Defense External links:
United States Department of Defense News
United States Department of Defense Standards of …
Virtual International Authority File External links:
VIAF (The Virtual International Authority File)
Virtual International Authority File – ???????????