What is involved in Linux on z Systems
Find out what the related areas are that Linux on z Systems connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Linux on z Systems thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Linux on z Systems journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Linux on z Systems leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Linux on z Systems related domains to cover and 125 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Linux on z Systems, IBM PC DOS, Revolution OS, The Code, Linux Voice, IBM 8100 DPCX, IBM mainframe, Linux Journal, Linux desktop environments, Hot swapping, Free Software Magazine, Kernel-based Virtual Machine, SAP ERP, Package manager, Linux kernel oops, Package format, Oracle database, Apache HTTP Server, Linux range of use, Linux Foundation, VM/XA MA, IBM Workplace OS, IBM DPPX, Linux Format, GNU Compiler Collection, Hercules emulator, Concurrent Versions System, IBM Global Services, Channel I/O, IBM z Systems, Security-focused operating system, Network interface card, Rule of thumb, Full virtualization, Integrated Facility for Linux, VM/XA SF, MFT II, GNU/Linux naming controversy, Linux on embedded systems, OS/360 and successors, IBM Academic Operating System, VM/XA SP, SUSE Linux Enterprise Server, IBM CP-40, Comparison of netbook-oriented Linux distributions, SAP R/3, IBM 4690 OS, Linux Documentation Project, Linux Outlaws, Digital media, Michigan Terminal System:
Linux on z Systems Critical Criteria:
Be clear about Linux on z Systems management and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Linux on z Systems.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Linux on z Systems strengthening and reform actually originate?
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Linux on z Systems process?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Linux on z Systems requirements in detail?
IBM PC DOS Critical Criteria:
See the value of IBM PC DOS adoptions and describe which business rules are needed as IBM PC DOS interface.
– Does Linux on z Systems analysis show the relationships among important Linux on z Systems factors?
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Linux on z Systems moving forward?
– Is Supporting Linux on z Systems documentation required?
Revolution OS Critical Criteria:
Chart Revolution OS tasks and arbitrate Revolution OS techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– Consider your own Linux on z Systems project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Linux on z Systems values?
– How can skill-level changes improve Linux on z Systems?
The Code Critical Criteria:
Paraphrase The Code governance and prioritize challenges of The Code.
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Linux on z Systems study?
– Can we do Linux on z Systems without complex (expensive) analysis?
– How do you make sure that the code base always builds reliably?
Linux Voice Critical Criteria:
Powwow over Linux Voice risks and maintain Linux Voice for success.
– What are our needs in relation to Linux on z Systems skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Linux on z Systems activities?
– Are assumptions made in Linux on z Systems stated explicitly?
IBM 8100 DPCX Critical Criteria:
Investigate IBM 8100 DPCX management and reduce IBM 8100 DPCX costs.
– What is the source of the strategies for Linux on z Systems strengthening and reform?
– What business benefits will Linux on z Systems goals deliver if achieved?
IBM mainframe Critical Criteria:
Check IBM mainframe adoptions and revise understanding of IBM mainframe architectures.
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Linux on z Systems is underway?
– Do we have past Linux on z Systems Successes?
Linux Journal Critical Criteria:
Do a round table on Linux Journal adoptions and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Linux Journal.
– How do your measurements capture actionable Linux on z Systems information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– What are all of our Linux on z Systems domains and what do they do?
Linux desktop environments Critical Criteria:
Analyze Linux desktop environments governance and research ways can we become the Linux desktop environments company that would put us out of business.
– Is maximizing Linux on z Systems protection the same as minimizing Linux on z Systems loss?
– Do we monitor the Linux on z Systems decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– What are the long-term Linux on z Systems goals?
Hot swapping Critical Criteria:
Map Hot swapping risks and cater for concise Hot swapping education.
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Linux on z Systems strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– Which Linux on z Systems goals are the most important?
– Have all basic functions of Linux on z Systems been defined?
Free Software Magazine Critical Criteria:
Mix Free Software Magazine goals and oversee Free Software Magazine management by competencies.
– For your Linux on z Systems project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– How do we manage Linux on z Systems Knowledge Management (KM)?
Kernel-based Virtual Machine Critical Criteria:
Cut a stake in Kernel-based Virtual Machine tasks and observe effective Kernel-based Virtual Machine.
– what is the best design framework for Linux on z Systems organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– Will Linux on z Systems have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– How do we Identify specific Linux on z Systems investment and emerging trends?
SAP ERP Critical Criteria:
Consider SAP ERP strategies and overcome SAP ERP skills and management ineffectiveness.
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Linux on z Systems objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– How can you measure Linux on z Systems in a systematic way?
– What threat is Linux on z Systems addressing?
– R/3 Enterprise or MySAP ERP ?
Package manager Critical Criteria:
Reconstruct Package manager engagements and probe Package manager strategic alliances.
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Linux on z Systems?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Linux on z Systems?
Linux kernel oops Critical Criteria:
Canvass Linux kernel oops tasks and improve Linux kernel oops service perception.
– Is a Linux on z Systems Team Work effort in place?
– Why are Linux on z Systems skills important?
Package format Critical Criteria:
Drive Package format engagements and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive Package format projects.
– Are accountability and ownership for Linux on z Systems clearly defined?
– Who will provide the final approval of Linux on z Systems deliverables?
– How do we maintain Linux on z Systemss Integrity?
Oracle database Critical Criteria:
Align Oracle database leadership and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive Oracle database decisions.
– Does Linux on z Systems include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Linux on z Systems does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
Apache HTTP Server Critical Criteria:
Inquire about Apache HTTP Server risks and get answers.
– Is Linux on z Systems Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
– What are current Linux on z Systems Paradigms?
Linux range of use Critical Criteria:
Debate over Linux range of use issues and describe which business rules are needed as Linux range of use interface.
– What management system can we use to leverage the Linux on z Systems experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– Is there a Linux on z Systems Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– Does Linux on z Systems analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
Linux Foundation Critical Criteria:
Investigate Linux Foundation results and proactively manage Linux Foundation risks.
– Does Linux on z Systems systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Linux on z Systems objectives?
VM/XA MA Critical Criteria:
Reconstruct VM/XA MA decisions and mentor VM/XA MA customer orientation.
– What are the business goals Linux on z Systems is aiming to achieve?
IBM Workplace OS Critical Criteria:
X-ray IBM Workplace OS leadership and get the big picture.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Linux on z Systems processes?
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Linux on z Systems project?
IBM DPPX Critical Criteria:
Design IBM DPPX planning and report on the economics of relationships managing IBM DPPX and constraints.
– How do we measure improved Linux on z Systems service perception, and satisfaction?
– Why is Linux on z Systems important for you now?
Linux Format Critical Criteria:
Use past Linux Format leadership and report on setting up Linux Format without losing ground.
– Are there Linux on z Systems Models?
GNU Compiler Collection Critical Criteria:
Recall GNU Compiler Collection goals and oversee implementation of GNU Compiler Collection.
– What are the Key enablers to make this Linux on z Systems move?
Hercules emulator Critical Criteria:
Familiarize yourself with Hercules emulator leadership and optimize Hercules emulator leadership as a key to advancement.
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Linux on z Systems project?
– How do we know that any Linux on z Systems analysis is complete and comprehensive?
Concurrent Versions System Critical Criteria:
Track Concurrent Versions System quality and diversify disclosure of information – dealing with confidential Concurrent Versions System information.
– What is our formula for success in Linux on z Systems ?
– How would one define Linux on z Systems leadership?
IBM Global Services Critical Criteria:
Rank IBM Global Services strategies and attract IBM Global Services skills.
– How do we ensure that implementations of Linux on z Systems products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Linux on z Systems goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– Have you identified your Linux on z Systems key performance indicators?
Channel I/O Critical Criteria:
Survey Channel I/O tactics and don’t overlook the obvious.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Linux on z Systems process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Linux on z Systems process available?
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Linux on z Systems? There might be some that are less obvious?
IBM z Systems Critical Criteria:
Facilitate IBM z Systems outcomes and figure out ways to motivate other IBM z Systems users.
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Linux on z Systems project manager?
– Do Linux on z Systems rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
Security-focused operating system Critical Criteria:
Guide Security-focused operating system planning and maintain Security-focused operating system for success.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Linux on z Systems models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– Are there recognized Linux on z Systems problems?
Network interface card Critical Criteria:
Model after Network interface card goals and spearhead techniques for implementing Network interface card.
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of Linux on z Systems?
– How to Secure Linux on z Systems?
Rule of thumb Critical Criteria:
Concentrate on Rule of thumb governance and look at the big picture.
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Linux on z Systems leader?
– How is the value delivered by Linux on z Systems being measured?
Full virtualization Critical Criteria:
Be clear about Full virtualization decisions and give examples utilizing a core of simple Full virtualization skills.
– How likely is the current Linux on z Systems plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
– How do we go about Securing Linux on z Systems?
Integrated Facility for Linux Critical Criteria:
Communicate about Integrated Facility for Linux tactics and secure Integrated Facility for Linux creativity.
– How can the value of Linux on z Systems be defined?
VM/XA SF Critical Criteria:
Focus on VM/XA SF issues and attract VM/XA SF skills.
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Linux on z Systems leaders?
MFT II Critical Criteria:
Read up on MFT II results and check on ways to get started with MFT II.
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Linux on z Systems ?
GNU/Linux naming controversy Critical Criteria:
Explore GNU/Linux naming controversy quality and plan concise GNU/Linux naming controversy education.
– How do we keep improving Linux on z Systems?
Linux on embedded systems Critical Criteria:
See the value of Linux on embedded systems results and research ways can we become the Linux on embedded systems company that would put us out of business.
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Linux on z Systems activities?
– What is the purpose of Linux on z Systems in relation to the mission?
OS/360 and successors Critical Criteria:
Reconstruct OS/360 and successors leadership and figure out ways to motivate other OS/360 and successors users.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Linux on z Systems strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Linux on z Systems agendas for the next 3 years?
– Does our organization need more Linux on z Systems education?
IBM Academic Operating System Critical Criteria:
Accommodate IBM Academic Operating System visions and get out your magnifying glass.
– Among the Linux on z Systems product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– Is Linux on z Systems Required?
VM/XA SP Critical Criteria:
Analyze VM/XA SP tasks and find the essential reading for VM/XA SP researchers.
– What are our best practices for minimizing Linux on z Systems project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Linux on z Systems project lifecycle?
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Linux on z Systems with what users do day-to-day?
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server Critical Criteria:
Accommodate SUSE Linux Enterprise Server tasks and assess what counts with SUSE Linux Enterprise Server that we are not counting.
– Is the Linux on z Systems organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
– What are the Essentials of Internal Linux on z Systems Management?
IBM CP-40 Critical Criteria:
Deliberate over IBM CP-40 decisions and suggest using storytelling to create more compelling IBM CP-40 projects.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Linux on z Systems services/products?
– How can we improve Linux on z Systems?
Comparison of netbook-oriented Linux distributions Critical Criteria:
Analyze Comparison of netbook-oriented Linux distributions visions and overcome Comparison of netbook-oriented Linux distributions skills and management ineffectiveness.
– What are specific Linux on z Systems Rules to follow?
– Is the scope of Linux on z Systems defined?
SAP R/3 Critical Criteria:
Transcribe SAP R/3 governance and mentor SAP R/3 customer orientation.
– Who needs to know about Linux on z Systems ?
IBM 4690 OS Critical Criteria:
Grade IBM 4690 OS management and plan concise IBM 4690 OS education.
– How important is Linux on z Systems to the user organizations mission?
Linux Documentation Project Critical Criteria:
Discuss Linux Documentation Project management and gather Linux Documentation Project models .
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Linux on z Systems opportunities costing us money?
Linux Outlaws Critical Criteria:
Distinguish Linux Outlaws quality and separate what are the business goals Linux Outlaws is aiming to achieve.
– Do we all define Linux on z Systems in the same way?
Digital media Critical Criteria:
Think about Digital media quality and learn.
– Who sets the Linux on z Systems standards?
Michigan Terminal System Critical Criteria:
Troubleshoot Michigan Terminal System governance and attract Michigan Terminal System skills.
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Linux on z Systems Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Linux on z Systems External links:
[PDF]z/VM and Linux on z Systems Performance Class
Akhilesh C. – Linux on z Systems Customer Council …
Linux on z Systems Customer Council Pages – Meetup
IBM PC DOS External links:
IBM PC DOS – Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
Ibm Pc Dos Handbook – guijinshu.store
IBM PC DOS Version 7
Revolution OS External links:
Revolution OS – YouTube
Revolution OS (2001) – IMDb
The Code External links:
The Code | Netflix
Cracking the Code
Code Reviser Office of the Code Reviser – Washington
Linux Voice External links:
The State Of Linux Voice Recognition – Lifewire
Linux Voice – Home | Facebook
Linux Voice – Official Site
IBM 8100 DPCX External links:
IBM 8100 DPCX | IT History Society
IBM 8100 DPCX explained – everything.explained.today
IBM 8100 Dpcx | Summer Reading Challenge
IBM mainframe External links:
IBM Mainframe IT Specialist | SmartRecruiters
Linux Journal External links:
Linux Journal | The Original Magazine of the Linux Community
Linux Journal – Home | Facebook
Linux desktop environments External links:
10 Best and Most Popular Linux Desktop Environments of …
Five Best Linux Desktop Environments – Lifehacker
Hot swapping External links:
How to: Enable Hot Swapping of Assemblies [AX 2012]
Hot Swapping a Hard Drive in a Rack – YouTube
Free Software Magazine External links:
Free Software Magazine – facebook.com
Free Software Magazine stories at Techdirt.
Kernel-based Virtual Machine External links:
Kernel-Based Virtual Machine – go4hosting.in
KVM Home Page – Kernel-based Virtual Machine
Kernel-based Virtual Machine – Official Site
Package manager External links:
Package Manager Command-Line Options
Package Manager – Docs
NuGet Package Manager UI Reference | Microsoft Docs
Package format External links:
RAGE Package Format – Just Solve the File Format Problem
Oracle database External links:
Oracle Database Upgrade Guide, 12c Release 2 (12.2)
Apache HTTP Server External links:
Download – The Apache HTTP Server Project
Apache HTTP Server – Download
How to set up a Apache HTTP Server on Windows – YouTube
Linux range of use External links:
Linux Foundation External links:
Linux Foundation – Official Site
ApacheCon North America – Linux Foundation
Projects – The Linux Foundation
IBM Workplace OS External links:
IBM Workplace OS | Spoke
Linux Format External links:
Linux Format – media
[PDF]Linux Format Raspberry Pi The Complete Guide Ebook | …
Linux format. (eJournal / eMagazine) [WorldCat.org]
GNU Compiler Collection External links:
GNU Compiler Collection – Official Site
GNU Compiler Collection – Rosetta Code
GNU Compiler Collection – UFRC – University of Florida
Hercules emulator External links:
Hercules Emulator – CBT Tape Home Page – MVS Freeware
The Hercules Emulator Store : The Hercules Emulator Store
Concurrent Versions System External links:
CVS–Concurrent Versions System – Branching and merging
CVS–Concurrent Versions System – annotate
Concurrent Versions System (CVS)? Webopedia Definition
IBM Global Services External links:
IBM Global Services – Home | Facebook
Channel I/O External links:
G4PB24 – G4 24-channel I/O Module Rack
IBM z Systems External links:
Oracle on IBM z Systems (eBook, 2017) [WorldCat.org]
IBM z Systems Development and Test Environment …
IBM z Systems Platform Test
Network interface card External links:
Network Interface Card (NIC) Teaming – technet.microsoft.com
Rule of thumb External links:
The Rule of Thumb (2011) – IMDb
Full virtualization External links:
[PDF]Guide to security for full virtualization technologies
Which Is Better Para or Full Virtualization? – Quora
VPS.AG – High Performance full virtualization KVM VPS
MFT II External links:
MFT II_16 Marks | Machining | Gear
Theories of MFT II – Strategic Flashcards | Quizlet
Sigma LCR II Rear Cap for Micro 4/3 Mount Lenses LCR-MFT II
GNU/Linux naming controversy External links:
GNU/Linux naming controversy – Infogalactic: the …
OS/360 and successors External links:
OS/360 and successors – Revolvy
broom01.revolvy.com/topic/OS/360 and successors
OS/360 and successors – Local Business | Facebook
VM/XA SP External links:
University of Kentucky – Updates for VM/XA SP CMS 5.5
Semantic Scholar extracted view of “Modeling Features of VM/XA SP: An Overview” by Javier Munoz et al.
University of Kentucky – Updates for VM/XA SP CMS 5.5
THANKS FOR NOTHING: VM/XA SP 1 AT LAST – Computer …
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server External links:
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server VM (SLES 12)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server from HPE OID5379857 | …
Free Download – SUSE Linux Enterprise Server | SUSE
IBM CP-40 External links:
IBM CP-40 – Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
Comparison of netbook-oriented Linux distributions External links:
Comparison of netbook-oriented Linux distributions | …
Comparison of netbook-oriented Linux distributions – …
Comparison of netbook-oriented Linux distributions – …
SAP R/3 External links:
SAP R/3 |THWACK
Summary Page: SAP R/3 Release 4.6 Fundamentals
Oct 24, 2017 · Is there a template or any information available on what to monitor on Windows servers runnning SAP R/3?
Summary Page: SAP R/3 Release 4.6 Fundamentals
IBM 4690 OS External links:
Open Object Rexx / Patches / #93 Support IBM 4690 OS FTP
IBM 4690 OS Programming Guide Version 4 Release 1 …
Linux Documentation Project External links:
The Linux Documentation Project
Mirrors – The Linux Documentation Project
Linux Documentation Project Copyright
Linux Outlaws External links:
Linux Outlaws | Sixgun Productions
Linux Outlaws by Sixgun Productions on Apple Podcasts
Digital media External links:
VisionMix Digital Media
Encompass Digital Media: Your Video Content Delivered
Examples of digital media types include: Windows Media Audio (WMA), Windows Media Video (WMV), MP3, JPEG, and AVI.
Michigan Terminal System External links:
Michigan Terminal System – ECE/CIS
MTS, the Michigan Terminal System. v.18. – HathiTrust
Images – Michigan Terminal System Archive