What is involved in Business Capability Modeling
Find out what the related areas are that Business Capability Modeling connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Business Capability Modeling thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Business Capability Modeling journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Business Capability Modeling leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Business Capability Modeling related domains to cover and 141 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Business Capability Modeling, Capability management in business, Blue Ocean Strategy, Business architecture, Business process reengineering, Business strategy, Capability approach, Capability management, Capability management in defence, Coherence Premium, Core competency, Dynamic capabilities, Enterprise Architecture, Enterprise architecture framework, Growth platforms, Harvard Business Review, Heat map, Intellectual Property Rights, NATO Architecture Framework, Network Centric Warfare, Network Enabled Capability, Network theory, Operating model, Organizational learning, Resource-based view of the firm, Ricardian economics, Strategy map, System-of-Systems Engineering, Systems Engineering, Tacit Knowledge, Technology Management, Technology Strategy, The Open Group, The Open Group Architecture Framework, Theory of the firm, UK Ministry of Defence, Value chain, Virtual Enterprise:
Business Capability Modeling Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect Business Capability Modeling failures and document what potential Business Capability Modeling megatrends could make our business model obsolete.
– What are the Essentials of Internal Business Capability Modeling Management?
– Does Business Capability Modeling appropriately measure and monitor risk?
Capability management in business Critical Criteria:
Look at Capability management in business outcomes and remodel and develop an effective Capability management in business strategy.
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Business Capability Modeling leaders?
– Who needs to know about Business Capability Modeling ?
Blue Ocean Strategy Critical Criteria:
Extrapolate Blue Ocean Strategy issues and gather practices for scaling Blue Ocean Strategy.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Business Capability Modeling is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Business Capability Modeling processes?
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Business Capability Modeling objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
Business architecture Critical Criteria:
Accelerate Business architecture projects and attract Business architecture skills.
– Consider your own Business Capability Modeling project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
Business process reengineering Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Business process reengineering results and explain and analyze the challenges of Business process reengineering.
– When conducting a business process reengineering study, what should we look for when trying to identify business processes to change?
– What is the purpose of Business Capability Modeling in relation to the mission?
– How do we Improve Business Capability Modeling service perception, and satisfaction?
Business strategy Critical Criteria:
Discuss Business strategy management and devise Business strategy key steps.
– As a CSP undertakes to build out or take a fresh look at its service offerings, the CSP should clearly define its business strategy and related risk management philosophy. What market segments or industries does the CSP intend to serve?
– How do we provide the context for investment considerations (which services does an investment affect, and how does that fit with the business strategy and priorities?
– Which services does the ITSM investment affect, and how does that fit with the business strategy and priorities?
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Business Capability Modeling project?
– What is the link between a firms business strategy and its capital budgeting process?
– What is your it asset management program. is it manual or automated (which vendor)?
– How to get alignment between business strategy and IT infrastructure?
– What should be done in-house and what should be outsourced?
– Why are Business Capability Modeling skills important?
– Are outcomes in line with business strategy?
– What is the overall business strategy?
Capability approach Critical Criteria:
Contribute to Capability approach engagements and define Capability approach competency-based leadership.
– How is the value delivered by Business Capability Modeling being measured?
– Is a Business Capability Modeling Team Work effort in place?
Capability management Critical Criteria:
Concentrate on Capability management failures and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Capability management results.
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Business Capability Modeling opportunities costing us money?
– Do Business Capability Modeling rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
– Is Business Capability Modeling Required?
Capability management in defence Critical Criteria:
Win new insights about Capability management in defence results and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive Capability management in defence projects.
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Business Capability Modeling agendas for the next 3 years?
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Business Capability Modeling project?
– Will Business Capability Modeling deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
Coherence Premium Critical Criteria:
Judge Coherence Premium issues and triple focus on important concepts of Coherence Premium relationship management.
– How likely is the current Business Capability Modeling plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
Core competency Critical Criteria:
Experiment with Core competency results and forecast involvement of future Core competency projects in development.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Business Capability Modeling services/products?
– Is the Business Capability Modeling organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
Dynamic capabilities Critical Criteria:
Categorize Dynamic capabilities goals and prioritize challenges of Dynamic capabilities.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Business Capability Modeling project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– Will Business Capability Modeling have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– What vendors make products that address the Business Capability Modeling needs?
Enterprise Architecture Critical Criteria:
Accommodate Enterprise Architecture goals and oversee Enterprise Architecture requirements.
– With the increasing adoption of cloud computing do you think enterprise architecture as a discipline will become more or less important to us and why?
– Do we monitor the Business Capability Modeling decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– Enterprise architecture planning. how does it align with to the to be architecture?
– How do we Identify specific Business Capability Modeling investment and emerging trends?
– How does the standard fit into the Federal Enterprise Architecture (FEA)?
– Are Enterprise JavaBeans still relevant for enterprise architectures?
– Are software assets aligned with the agency enterprise architecture?
– Are software assets aligned with the organizations enterprise architecture?
– Are the levels and focus right for TOGAF enterprise architecture?
– Is There a Role for Patterns in Enterprise Architecture?
– What is the value of mature Enterprise Architecture?
– Why Should we Consider Enterprise Architecture?
– What is an Enterprise Architecture?
– What Is Enterprise Architecture?
– Why Enterprise Architecture?
Enterprise architecture framework Critical Criteria:
Analyze Enterprise architecture framework tactics and gather practices for scaling Enterprise architecture framework.
– How do we Lead with Business Capability Modeling in Mind?
– What is our Business Capability Modeling Strategy?
Growth platforms Critical Criteria:
Map Growth platforms failures and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Growth platforms.
– In a project to restructure Business Capability Modeling outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– Is Supporting Business Capability Modeling documentation required?
Harvard Business Review Critical Criteria:
Adapt Harvard Business Review strategies and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive Harvard Business Review projects.
– How do we go about Comparing Business Capability Modeling approaches/solutions?
– Are there Business Capability Modeling problems defined?
Heat map Critical Criteria:
Distinguish Heat map outcomes and diversify disclosure of information – dealing with confidential Heat map information.
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Business Capability Modeling goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Business Capability Modeling?
Intellectual Property Rights Critical Criteria:
Transcribe Intellectual Property Rights projects and correct Intellectual Property Rights management by competencies.
– What will be the policies for data sharing and public access (including provisions for protection of privacy, confidentiality, security, intellectual property rights and other rights as appropriate)?
– Who will own any copyright or intellectual property rights to the data?
– How much does Business Capability Modeling help?
– What is Effective Business Capability Modeling?
NATO Architecture Framework Critical Criteria:
Consider NATO Architecture Framework outcomes and slay a dragon.
– How do we measure improved Business Capability Modeling service perception, and satisfaction?
– What about Business Capability Modeling Analysis of results?
Network Centric Warfare Critical Criteria:
Trace Network Centric Warfare goals and describe the risks of Network Centric Warfare sustainability.
– Does Business Capability Modeling systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Business Capability Modeling processes?
Network Enabled Capability Critical Criteria:
Infer Network Enabled Capability tasks and oversee Network Enabled Capability requirements.
Network theory Critical Criteria:
Air ideas re Network theory planning and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Network theory.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Business Capability Modeling product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Business Capability Modeling into the services that we provide?
Operating model Critical Criteria:
X-ray Operating model risks and gather Operating model models .
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Business Capability Modeling does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– Do you have a defined operating model with dedicated resources for IT risk?
– Are accountability and ownership for Business Capability Modeling clearly defined?
– Are there recognized Business Capability Modeling problems?
– Is change a campaign or operating model?
Organizational learning Critical Criteria:
Graph Organizational learning results and display thorough understanding of the Organizational learning process.
– What are the key elements of your Business Capability Modeling performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Business Capability Modeling strengthening and reform actually originate?
– How do we move from reacting to problems to fact-based, systematic evaluation and improvement and organizational learning through innovation?
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Business Capability Modeling is underway?
Resource-based view of the firm Critical Criteria:
Consult on Resource-based view of the firm risks and innovate what needs to be done with Resource-based view of the firm.
– Think about the people you identified for your Business Capability Modeling project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Business Capability Modeling. How do we gain traction?
– Do we all define Business Capability Modeling in the same way?
Ricardian economics Critical Criteria:
Discourse Ricardian economics leadership and shift your focus.
– Does Business Capability Modeling include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– Does Business Capability Modeling analysis show the relationships among important Business Capability Modeling factors?
– How would one define Business Capability Modeling leadership?
Strategy map Critical Criteria:
Reason over Strategy map issues and gather Strategy map models .
System-of-Systems Engineering Critical Criteria:
Troubleshoot System-of-Systems Engineering failures and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– What is the source of the strategies for Business Capability Modeling strengthening and reform?
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Business Capability Modeling objectives?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Business Capability Modeling?
Systems Engineering Critical Criteria:
Focus on Systems Engineering management and perfect Systems Engineering conflict management.
– If you had to recreate the system at a certain state in its life cycle or duplicate the deployed system in the test lab to check out a fault, would you have all of the configuration data and documentation version information you would need to do so?
– When we try to quantify Systems Engineering in terms of capturing productivity (i.e., size/effort) data to incorporate into a parametric model, what size measure captures the amount of intellectual work performed by the systems engineer?
– What constraints apply, either in the nature and scope of our design effort (time, cost, funding, and other resources) or in the nature (size, cost, weight, etc.) of our solution?
– Regarding the way the system is formed and operates and the scale of interest; e.g., are we interested in complexity at the level of atoms or of cells or of organs?
– How do we achieve sufficient predictability in developing the system so as to enable meaningful costed and time-bounded, resourced plans to be formed?
– What is the detailed set of functions and properties of a given interface?
– Typical concerns on the design side: what is the required functionality?
– What kind of support for requirements management will be needed?
– What are the expectations and limits of the given integration?
– Has organization developed a plan for continuous improvement?
– How will the system be developed, operated, and maintained?
– What policies are currently being implemented?
– Where would we like to be in the future?
– What parts are connected to each other?
– How do we compare with the competition?
– How well should the system perform?
– How will we know when we are done?
– How much architecting is enough?
– Is the schedule too aggressive?
Tacit Knowledge Critical Criteria:
Conceptualize Tacit Knowledge planning and adopt an insight outlook.
– How do mission and objectives affect the Business Capability Modeling processes of our organization?
– Are assumptions made in Business Capability Modeling stated explicitly?
– How does one best achieve tacit knowledge codification?
Technology Management Critical Criteria:
Look at Technology Management quality and acquire concise Technology Management education.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Business Capability Modeling process?
– What are the business goals Business Capability Modeling is aiming to achieve?
– How can skill-level changes improve Business Capability Modeling?
Technology Strategy Critical Criteria:
Ventilate your thoughts about Technology Strategy decisions and secure Technology Strategy creativity.
The Open Group Critical Criteria:
Check The Open Group engagements and arbitrate The Open Group techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Business Capability Modeling activities?
The Open Group Architecture Framework Critical Criteria:
Nurse The Open Group Architecture Framework adoptions and check on ways to get started with The Open Group Architecture Framework.
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Business Capability Modeling requirements in detail?
Theory of the firm Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Theory of the firm outcomes and pay attention to the small things.
UK Ministry of Defence Critical Criteria:
Discuss UK Ministry of Defence governance and remodel and develop an effective UK Ministry of Defence strategy.
– Can we add value to the current Business Capability Modeling decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
Value chain Critical Criteria:
Exchange ideas about Value chain planning and clarify ways to gain access to competitive Value chain services.
– How do we maintain Business Capability Modelings Integrity?
– What are current Business Capability Modeling Paradigms?
Virtual Enterprise Critical Criteria:
Audit Virtual Enterprise engagements and diversify disclosure of information – dealing with confidential Virtual Enterprise information.
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Business Capability Modeling ?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Business Capability Modeling Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Business Capability Modeling External links:
Business Capability Modeling – Gartner IT Glossary
Capability management in business External links:
Capability management in business – Revolvy
www.revolvy.com/topic/Capability management in business
Capability management in business – update.revolvy.com
update.revolvy.com/topic/Capability management in business
Blue Ocean Strategy External links:
What is Blue Ocean Strategy | About Blue Ocean Strategy
Blue Ocean Strategy – YouTube
Blue Ocean Strategy Excel Template – QI Macros
Business architecture External links:
What is Business Architecture? – The Open Group Blog
Capstera Business Architecture Software
AgileLayer Business Architecture Capability Modeling …
Business process reengineering External links:
Business Process Reengineering (Book, 2003) …
Business Process Reengineering: A Consolidated …
Business strategy External links:
Business strategy – Corporate information – Exelon
Global Business Strategy Simulation Game
Business Strategy Game Simulation
Capability approach External links:
SEN’S CAPABILITY APPROACH AND GENDER …
Capability Approach en Sociaal Werk – Home | Facebook
Capability management External links:
What is business capability management? – Quora
Capability Management – Center For Talent Reporting
Coherence Premium External links:
The Coherence Premium – Harvard Business Review
Core competency External links:
ALF Core Competency Test
If it’s not your core competency: Outsource it | MedSpeed …
Enterprise Architecture External links:
Enterprise Architecture Program: Publications, …
Center for Enterprise Architecture
Enterprise Architecture Center of Excellence
Enterprise architecture framework External links:
[PDF]Fact Sheet: Enterprise Architecture Framework for …
Growth platforms External links:
Senior Vice President, Growth Platforms, AT&T
Harvard Business Review External links:
Harvard Business Review – Ideas and Advice for Leaders
ERIC – The Work of Leadership., Harvard Business Review…
25 Best-Selling Harvard Business Review articles of all time
Heat map External links:
A heat map is a graphical representation of data where the individual values contained in a grid are represented as colors.
SF Crime Heat Map – San Francisco Open Data
What are the different radial heat map settings? – Mapline
Intellectual Property Rights External links:
[PDF]Intellectual Property Rights Enforcement
Intellectual Property Rights | AP
NATO Architecture Framework External links:
NATO Architecture Framework · GitHub
Network Centric Warfare External links:
Network Centric Warfare | SwRI
Network Enabled Capability External links:
Network Enabled Capability – YouTube
[PDF]NETWORK ENABLED CAPABILITY FOR DEFENCE …
Network theory External links:
Chemical Reaction Network Theory
Organizational learning External links:
Storied Ground | Organizational Learning | Toronto, Canada
Society for Organizational Learning – Official Site
ERIC – Organizational Learning and Innovation …
Resource-based view of the firm External links:
[PDF]A Natural-Resource-Based View of the Firm: Fifteen …
www.uvm.edu/giee/pubpdfs/Hart_2011_Journal of Management.pdf
Ricardian economics External links:
Neo-Ricardian Economics – IDEAS/RePEc
Strategy map External links:
Tuscarawas Strategy Map | Kent State University
Strategic Plan / Strategy Map – copy
Strategy Map – How to Use a Strategy Map
Systems Engineering External links:
Infinity Systems Engineering
Solers, Inc. :: Software & Systems Engineering
Innoslate | PLM and Systems Engineering Tools
Tacit Knowledge External links:
TACIT Knowledge Alliance
Tacit Knowledge – Home | Facebook
ERIC – The Tacit Knowledge of Highly Productive …
Technology Management External links:
dmarcian-eu – dmarcian – DMARC – Technology Management …
Home – Office of Technology Management – UTHealth
Home – Tellennium – Communications Technology Management
Technology Strategy External links:
Marketing Technology Strategy Services | Merkle
OPM: Information Technology Strategy and Investment Committee
The Open Group External links:
The Open Group Open FAIR™ Certification Program
The Open Group Shop | Home page
Customer Service :: The Open Group – Pearson VUE
The Open Group Architecture Framework External links:
The Open Group Architecture Framework (TOGAF)
Theory of the firm External links:
Theory Of The Firm Definition | Investopedia
Theory of the firm (Book, 1975) [WorldCat.org]
Value chain External links:
Value Chain – Investopedia
Oilfield Value Chain | ZaneTech | Houston, TX
TRACC Value Chain Improvement Solution
Virtual Enterprise External links:
[DOC]VIRTUAL ENTERPRISE CODE OF CONDUCT – Janet …
www.janetbelch.com/code of conduct.doc
Welcome To Virtual Enterprise
News | Virtual Enterprises International