What is involved in HIPAA
Find out what the related areas are that HIPAA connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a HIPAA thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its HIPAA journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward HIPAA leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which HIPAA related domains to cover and 141 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
HIPAA, Mortgage life insurance, Divorce insurance, United States House Committee on Ways and Means, Accidental death and dismemberment insurance, Life insurance, Group insurance, Insurance law, Flood insurance, No-fault insurance, Knowledge translation, Medical research, Property insurance, Research participant, Personal health record, Vehicle insurance, Social Science Research Network, Variable universal life insurance, Wage insurance, United States Statutes at Large, Health 2.0, Patient participation, Health insurance, Protection and indemnity insurance, Casualty insurance, Asiana Airlines Flight 214, Remote surgery, Outline of finance, Decision aids, Admission note, Health informatics, Public record, ANSI 834 Enrollment Implementation Format, Workers’ compensation, Satellite insurance, Remote therapy, Medical record, Whole life insurance, Mortgage insurance, Patient opinion leader, Earthquake insurance, Renters’ insurance, Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act, Republican Party, Myocardial infarction, Fidelity bond, Electronic health record, Disability insurance, Insurance fraud, Crop insurance, Home insurance, Terrorism insurance, Expatriation tax, Unitised insurance fund, Health information on the Internet, Remittance advice, Insurance policy, Professional liability insurance, Public auto insurance, Total permanent disability insurance, Telemental health, Term life insurance, Bond insurance, Trade credit insurance, Landlords’ insurance:
HIPAA Critical Criteria:
Facilitate HIPAA outcomes and probe the present value of growth of HIPAA.
– For HIPAA, GLBA and/or other state or federal regulation compliance, what due diligence/auditing is performed to ensure that you remain in compliance and what individual(s) in your organization are responsible for said compliance?
– A significant amount of data will be regularly received by the vendor (from nih, cms, and other government and non-government entities). is this data de-identified according to hipaa privacy standards as a matter of course?
– How do you determine the key elements that affect HIPAA workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– Is subject to mandated protection under hipaa, ferpa, or other federal or state statutes?
– What are some good choices for HIPAA compliant cloud storage?
– How do you ensure your compliance with HIPAA, PCI, etc.?
– Which HIPAA goals are the most important?
– HIPAA and Cloud A Great Match?
– How do we Lead with HIPAA in Mind?
Mortgage life insurance Critical Criteria:
Distinguish Mortgage life insurance strategies and catalog Mortgage life insurance activities.
– For your HIPAA project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the HIPAA process?
– How can you measure HIPAA in a systematic way?
Divorce insurance Critical Criteria:
Define Divorce insurance planning and get out your magnifying glass.
– In a project to restructure HIPAA outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– Does HIPAA analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
United States House Committee on Ways and Means Critical Criteria:
Debate over United States House Committee on Ways and Means decisions and report on the economics of relationships managing United States House Committee on Ways and Means and constraints.
– Can we add value to the current HIPAA decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– How do we know that any HIPAA analysis is complete and comprehensive?
– What are all of our HIPAA domains and what do they do?
Accidental death and dismemberment insurance Critical Criteria:
Grasp Accidental death and dismemberment insurance projects and overcome Accidental death and dismemberment insurance skills and management ineffectiveness.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to HIPAA? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– How likely is the current HIPAA plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
Life insurance Critical Criteria:
Graph Life insurance tactics and find the essential reading for Life insurance researchers.
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your HIPAA activities?
– Can we do HIPAA without complex (expensive) analysis?
Group insurance Critical Criteria:
Face Group insurance tactics and define what our big hairy audacious Group insurance goal is.
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our HIPAA agendas for the next 3 years?
Insurance law Critical Criteria:
Canvass Insurance law results and maintain Insurance law for success.
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing HIPAA? There might be some that are less obvious?
– Do the HIPAA decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
– How will you know that the HIPAA project has been successful?
Flood insurance Critical Criteria:
Pay attention to Flood insurance tasks and do something to it.
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a HIPAA strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– Who will provide the final approval of HIPAA deliverables?
– Are there HIPAA problems defined?
No-fault insurance Critical Criteria:
Pay attention to No-fault insurance planning and report on setting up No-fault insurance without losing ground.
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of HIPAA that make it risky?
– How can we improve HIPAA?
Knowledge translation Critical Criteria:
Reason over Knowledge translation engagements and find the essential reading for Knowledge translation researchers.
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in HIPAA?
– How do we Identify specific HIPAA investment and emerging trends?
– Is there any existing HIPAA governance structure?
Medical research Critical Criteria:
Analyze Medical research results and secure Medical research creativity.
– What about HIPAA Analysis of results?
Property insurance Critical Criteria:
Talk about Property insurance management and diversify disclosure of information – dealing with confidential Property insurance information.
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding HIPAA?
– Will HIPAA deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
– Is HIPAA Required?
Research participant Critical Criteria:
Focus on Research participant decisions and innovate what needs to be done with Research participant.
– Think of your HIPAA project. what are the main functions?
– Does our organization need more HIPAA education?
– How is the value delivered by HIPAA being measured?
Personal health record Critical Criteria:
Inquire about Personal health record strategies and simulate teachings and consultations on quality process improvement of Personal health record.
– How would one define HIPAA leadership?
– Are we Assessing HIPAA and Risk?
Vehicle insurance Critical Criteria:
Prioritize Vehicle insurance projects and catalog what business benefits will Vehicle insurance goals deliver if achieved.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these HIPAA processes?
– What business benefits will HIPAA goals deliver if achieved?
– What are the business goals HIPAA is aiming to achieve?
Social Science Research Network Critical Criteria:
Analyze Social Science Research Network strategies and finalize the present value of growth of Social Science Research Network.
– How to Secure HIPAA?
Variable universal life insurance Critical Criteria:
Face Variable universal life insurance governance and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Variable universal life insurance results.
– What are the barriers to increased HIPAA production?
Wage insurance Critical Criteria:
Investigate Wage insurance visions and get the big picture.
– Meeting the challenge: are missed HIPAA opportunities costing us money?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the HIPAA requirements in detail?
– Is a HIPAA Team Work effort in place?
United States Statutes at Large Critical Criteria:
Revitalize United States Statutes at Large management and budget for United States Statutes at Large challenges.
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving HIPAA forward?
Health 2.0 Critical Criteria:
Concentrate on Health 2.0 decisions and ask questions.
– Will HIPAA have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– Is the scope of HIPAA defined?
Patient participation Critical Criteria:
Frame Patient participation projects and summarize a clear Patient participation focus.
– Are assumptions made in HIPAA stated explicitly?
– What will drive HIPAA change?
Health insurance Critical Criteria:
Concentrate on Health insurance quality and point out improvements in Health insurance.
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a HIPAA project?
– How do we Improve HIPAA service perception, and satisfaction?
Protection and indemnity insurance Critical Criteria:
Substantiate Protection and indemnity insurance issues and diversify disclosure of information – dealing with confidential Protection and indemnity insurance information.
– Consider your own HIPAA project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– Who needs to know about HIPAA ?
Casualty insurance Critical Criteria:
Coach on Casualty insurance management and intervene in Casualty insurance processes and leadership.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your HIPAA strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– What is our formula for success in HIPAA ?
Asiana Airlines Flight 214 Critical Criteria:
Give examples of Asiana Airlines Flight 214 decisions and work towards be a leading Asiana Airlines Flight 214 expert.
– What management system can we use to leverage the HIPAA experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– How can the value of HIPAA be defined?
Remote surgery Critical Criteria:
Map Remote surgery planning and track iterative Remote surgery results.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your HIPAA processes?
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the HIPAA process?
– Do we monitor the HIPAA decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
Outline of finance Critical Criteria:
Focus on Outline of finance visions and diversify disclosure of information – dealing with confidential Outline of finance information.
– How do we go about Securing HIPAA?
– What threat is HIPAA addressing?
Decision aids Critical Criteria:
Depict Decision aids visions and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Decision aids.
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that HIPAA objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– What are internal and external HIPAA relations?
Admission note Critical Criteria:
Inquire about Admission note engagements and find out.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of HIPAA product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
Health informatics Critical Criteria:
Contribute to Health informatics outcomes and create a map for yourself.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new HIPAA in a volatile global economy?
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as HIPAA leaders?
Public record Critical Criteria:
Systematize Public record engagements and look at the big picture.
– Do those selected for the HIPAA team have a good general understanding of what HIPAA is all about?
ANSI 834 Enrollment Implementation Format Critical Criteria:
Mine ANSI 834 Enrollment Implementation Format failures and test out new things.
Workers’ compensation Critical Criteria:
Pilot Workers’ compensation issues and frame using storytelling to create more compelling Workers’ compensation projects.
Satellite insurance Critical Criteria:
Depict Satellite insurance engagements and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Satellite insurance results.
– Think about the functions involved in your HIPAA project. what processes flow from these functions?
– Among the HIPAA product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
Remote therapy Critical Criteria:
Confer re Remote therapy planning and find out what it really means.
– Does HIPAA analysis show the relationships among important HIPAA factors?
Medical record Critical Criteria:
Grade Medical record quality and finalize specific methods for Medical record acceptance.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent HIPAA services/products?
– What are your most important goals for the strategic HIPAA objectives?
– What are the Key enablers to make this HIPAA move?
– Who owns the patient lists and medical records?
Whole life insurance Critical Criteria:
Guide Whole life insurance governance and revise understanding of Whole life insurance architectures.
– What is the source of the strategies for HIPAA strengthening and reform?
– Is HIPAA dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
Mortgage insurance Critical Criteria:
Have a round table over Mortgage insurance strategies and check on ways to get started with Mortgage insurance.
– What are the Essentials of Internal HIPAA Management?
Patient opinion leader Critical Criteria:
Familiarize yourself with Patient opinion leader quality and integrate design thinking in Patient opinion leader innovation.
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of HIPAA moving forward?
– What are current HIPAA Paradigms?
Earthquake insurance Critical Criteria:
Guide Earthquake insurance governance and grade techniques for implementing Earthquake insurance controls.
– What are the disruptive HIPAA technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
Renters’ insurance Critical Criteria:
Ventilate your thoughts about Renters’ insurance failures and slay a dragon.
– Are accountability and ownership for HIPAA clearly defined?
– Do we have past HIPAA Successes?
Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act leadership and track iterative Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act results.
– Does HIPAA include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
Republican Party Critical Criteria:
Devise Republican Party strategies and figure out ways to motivate other Republican Party users.
– How do your measurements capture actionable HIPAA information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
Myocardial infarction Critical Criteria:
Adapt Myocardial infarction adoptions and customize techniques for implementing Myocardial infarction controls.
– what is the best design framework for HIPAA organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– To what extent does management recognize HIPAA as a tool to increase the results?
Fidelity bond Critical Criteria:
Troubleshoot Fidelity bond results and explore and align the progress in Fidelity bond.
– Is Supporting HIPAA documentation required?
Electronic health record Critical Criteria:
Communicate about Electronic health record issues and get going.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for HIPAA strengthening and reform actually originate?
Disability insurance Critical Criteria:
Chart Disability insurance issues and find out what it really means.
– Think about the people you identified for your HIPAA project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– Why are HIPAA skills important?
Insurance fraud Critical Criteria:
Scan Insurance fraud engagements and integrate design thinking in Insurance fraud innovation.
Crop insurance Critical Criteria:
Unify Crop insurance goals and give examples utilizing a core of simple Crop insurance skills.
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of HIPAA?
Home insurance Critical Criteria:
Pay attention to Home insurance adoptions and attract Home insurance skills.
– When a HIPAA manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
– Do HIPAA rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
Terrorism insurance Critical Criteria:
Familiarize yourself with Terrorism insurance decisions and find the ideas you already have.
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations HIPAA values?
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its HIPAA processes?
Expatriation tax Critical Criteria:
Design Expatriation tax results and pioneer acquisition of Expatriation tax systems.
– Are there HIPAA Models?
Unitised insurance fund Critical Criteria:
Reconstruct Unitised insurance fund decisions and look at it backwards.
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a HIPAA project?
Health information on the Internet Critical Criteria:
Huddle over Health information on the Internet adoptions and transcribe Health information on the Internet as tomorrows backbone for success.
– What are the record-keeping requirements of HIPAA activities?
Remittance advice Critical Criteria:
Study Remittance advice leadership and assess what counts with Remittance advice that we are not counting.
Insurance policy Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Insurance policy governance and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– If the liability portion of a Cybersecurity insurance policy is a claims-made policy, is an extended reporting endorsement (tail coverage) offered?
– What are our needs in relation to HIPAA skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
Professional liability insurance Critical Criteria:
Talk about Professional liability insurance decisions and figure out ways to motivate other Professional liability insurance users.
Public auto insurance Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate Public auto insurance risks and look for lots of ideas.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once HIPAA is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– How much does HIPAA help?
Total permanent disability insurance Critical Criteria:
Substantiate Total permanent disability insurance decisions and transcribe Total permanent disability insurance as tomorrows backbone for success.
Telemental health Critical Criteria:
Derive from Telemental health leadership and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive Telemental health projects.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this HIPAA process?
– What is our HIPAA Strategy?
Term life insurance Critical Criteria:
Systematize Term life insurance planning and cater for concise Term life insurance education.
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom HIPAA project?
– How do we manage HIPAA Knowledge Management (KM)?
Bond insurance Critical Criteria:
Interpolate Bond insurance goals and grade techniques for implementing Bond insurance controls.
Trade credit insurance Critical Criteria:
Chart Trade credit insurance governance and arbitrate Trade credit insurance techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once HIPAA is underway?
Landlords’ insurance Critical Criteria:
Troubleshoot Landlords’ insurance strategies and slay a dragon.
– How can you negotiate HIPAA successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the HIPAA Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources a