What is involved in New Product Development
Find out what the related areas are that New Product Development connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a New Product Development thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its New Product Development journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward New Product Development leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which New Product Development related domains to cover and 150 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
New Product Development, Association of International Product Marketing & Management, Best practice, Brand management, Choice modelling, Conceptual economy, Consumer good, Customer requirement, Customer value proposition, Design for assembly, Design for manufacturability, Design for six sigma, Detailed design document, Engineering design, Flexible product development, High-level design, Industrial design, Integrated Authority File, Integrated product team, Market opportunity, Market penetration, Market research, Market share, National Diet Library, Phase–gate model, Pro-innovation bias, Process management, Product Development and Management Association, Product design, Product lifecycle, Product management, Product strategy, Quality function deployment, Requirements engineering, Requirements management, Social design, Soft launch, Stevens Institute of Technology, Supply chain, User-centered design, User experience, Verification and validation, Virtual product development, Voice of the customer:
New Product Development Critical Criteria:
Gauge New Product Development projects and change contexts.
– A dramatic step toward becoming a learning organization is to appoint a chief training officer (CTO) or a chief learning officer (CLO). Many organizations claim to value Human Resources, but how many have a Human Resources representative involved in discussions about research and development commercialization, new product development, the strategic vision of the company, or increasing shareholder value?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed New Product Development opportunities costing us money?
– Is the New Product Development organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
– Project type: what percent of resources should go to new product developments?
– Which step in new product development you think is the most important?
– What are the steps in the new product development process?
– How can skill-level changes improve New Product Development?
– How can new product development be sped up?
Association of International Product Marketing & Management Critical Criteria:
Analyze Association of International Product Marketing & Management results and intervene in Association of International Product Marketing & Management processes and leadership.
– Do we monitor the New Product Development decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– Is New Product Development dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
– Who sets the New Product Development standards?
Best practice Critical Criteria:
Consider Best practice results and drive action.
– What are our best practices for minimizing New Product Development project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the New Product Development project lifecycle?
– Is the software and application development process based on an industry best practice and is information security included throughout the software development life cycle (sdlc) process?
– What standards, guidelines, best practices, and tools are organizations using to understand, measure, and manage risk at the management, operational, and technical levels?
– What ITIL best practices, security and data protection standards and guidelines are in use by the cloud service provider?
– Does your organization have a company-wide policy regarding best practices for cyber?
– What are the best practices in knowledge management for IT Service management ITSM?
– Who would you consider best practice in any or all of the instore sales drivers?
– Are CSI and organizational change underpinned by Kotters change management best practices?
– What best practices in knowledge management for Service management do we use?
– Are there any best practices or standards for the use of Big Data solutions?
– Which is really software best practice, CMM or agile development?
– What are some best practices for managing business intelligence?
– Are Organizational Change managements best practices (eg Kotter) applied?
– Do we adhere to best practices interface design?
– What best practices are relevant to your ITSM initiative?
– How do we go about Securing New Product Development?
– How much does New Product Development help?
Brand management Critical Criteria:
Boost Brand management goals and arbitrate Brand management techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– How do we measure improved New Product Development service perception, and satisfaction?
– Does the New Product Development task fit the clients priorities?
Choice modelling Critical Criteria:
Air ideas re Choice modelling issues and give examples utilizing a core of simple Choice modelling skills.
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our New Product Development agendas for the next 3 years?
– Which New Product Development goals are the most important?
Conceptual economy Critical Criteria:
Explore Conceptual economy adoptions and simulate teachings and consultations on quality process improvement of Conceptual economy.
– For your New Product Development project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– What are the Essentials of Internal New Product Development Management?
– How to deal with New Product Development Changes?
Consumer good Critical Criteria:
Focus on Consumer good goals and define what do we need to start doing with Consumer good.
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that New Product Development objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– How do we manage New Product Development Knowledge Management (KM)?
– How would one define New Product Development leadership?
Customer requirement Critical Criteria:
Study Customer requirement goals and mentor Customer requirement customer orientation.
– Will the product of the project fail to satisfy customer requirements if the change request is not executed?
– Does New Product Development create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– Will the product of the project fail to satisfy customer requirements if a change request is not executed?
– Does it increase the risk that the organization cannot meet its customer requirements?
Customer value proposition Critical Criteria:
Air ideas re Customer value proposition quality and look at it backwards.
– Does New Product Development include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– What threat is New Product Development addressing?
Design for assembly Critical Criteria:
Grasp Design for assembly governance and secure Design for assembly creativity.
– Is Supporting New Product Development documentation required?
– What about New Product Development Analysis of results?
– How do we Lead with New Product Development in Mind?
Design for manufacturability Critical Criteria:
Gauge Design for manufacturability issues and ask questions.
– How will you know that the New Product Development project has been successful?
– What are the barriers to increased New Product Development production?
– How is the value delivered by New Product Development being measured?
Design for six sigma Critical Criteria:
Accumulate Design for six sigma governance and gather practices for scaling Design for six sigma.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about New Product Development. How do we gain traction?
– Will New Product Development have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– What is the source of the strategies for New Product Development strengthening and reform?
Detailed design document Critical Criteria:
X-ray Detailed design document leadership and assess and formulate effective operational and Detailed design document strategies.
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations New Product Development values?
Engineering design Critical Criteria:
Study Engineering design visions and achieve a single Engineering design view and bringing data together.
– How can the value of New Product Development be defined?
– Are we Assessing New Product Development and Risk?
– How do we keep improving New Product Development?
Flexible product development Critical Criteria:
Infer Flexible product development adoptions and report on the economics of relationships managing Flexible product development and constraints.
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to New Product Development?
– Who will provide the final approval of New Product Development deliverables?
High-level design Critical Criteria:
Distinguish High-level design risks and look at it backwards.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which New Product Development models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– What are the record-keeping requirements of New Product Development activities?
Industrial design Critical Criteria:
Read up on Industrial design issues and explore and align the progress in Industrial design.
– What are your most important goals for the strategic New Product Development objectives?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the New Product Development requirements in detail?
– Why is New Product Development important for you now?
Integrated Authority File Critical Criteria:
Refer to Integrated Authority File planning and sort Integrated Authority File activities.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once New Product Development is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– Is maximizing New Product Development protection the same as minimizing New Product Development loss?
Integrated product team Critical Criteria:
Reason over Integrated product team visions and look in other fields.
Market opportunity Critical Criteria:
Collaborate on Market opportunity projects and point out improvements in Market opportunity.
– Think about the people you identified for your New Product Development project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your New Product Development activities?
– Why are New Product Development skills important?
Market penetration Critical Criteria:
Analyze Market penetration outcomes and find the essential reading for Market penetration researchers.
– Consider your own New Product Development project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– What are the long-term New Product Development goals?
– How to Secure New Product Development?
Market research Critical Criteria:
Talk about Market research risks and look at it backwards.
– What are the key elements of your New Product Development performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– Does the software allow users to bring in data from outside the company on-the-flylike demographics and market research to augment corporate data?
– Do New Product Development rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
Market share Critical Criteria:
Huddle over Market share quality and oversee Market share requirements.
– Are the calculated sales volumes realistic, taking into account the competitive position, realistic market share, importance of customer problem/pain and stage/maturity of customer needs?
– Does New Product Development analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
– What are the business goals New Product Development is aiming to achieve?
– Does New Product Development appropriately measure and monitor risk?
– What drives market share?
National Diet Library Critical Criteria:
Study National Diet Library management and find the ideas you already have.
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom New Product Development project?
– What are the short and long-term New Product Development goals?
Phase–gate model Critical Criteria:
Contribute to Phase–gate model engagements and display thorough understanding of the Phase–gate model process.
– Is there a New Product Development Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
Pro-innovation bias Critical Criteria:
Frame Pro-innovation bias outcomes and work towards be a leading Pro-innovation bias expert.
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing New Product Development?
– Is the scope of New Product Development defined?
Process management Critical Criteria:
Look at Process management projects and know what your objective is.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your New Product Development processes?
– What process management and improvement tools are we using PDSA/PDCA, ISO 9000, Lean, Balanced Scorecard, Six Sigma, something else?
Product Development and Management Association Critical Criteria:
Debate over Product Development and Management Association results and oversee Product Development and Management Association management by competencies.
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if New Product Development does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
Product design Critical Criteria:
X-ray Product design risks and acquire concise Product design education.
– what is the best design framework for New Product Development organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– What are the disruptive New Product Development technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– To what extent has the product architecture and overall product design been developed?
Product lifecycle Critical Criteria:
Coach on Product lifecycle projects and overcome Product lifecycle skills and management ineffectiveness.
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting New Product Development with what users do day-to-day?
Product management Critical Criteria:
Adapt Product management leadership and pay attention to the small things.
– A vital question in new product management is: how should the business most effectively invest its research and development (r&d) and new product resources?
– In marketplace businesses what is the optimal relationship between product management Category Management and marketing?
– What is the optimal relationship between Product Management Category Management and Marketing?
– Are assumptions made in New Product Development stated explicitly?
– What are the a best practices for Agile SCRUM Product Management?
Product strategy Critical Criteria:
Mix Product strategy governance and maintain Product strategy for success.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent New Product Development services/products?
– How do we Identify specific New Product Development investment and emerging trends?
– What are the Key enablers to make this New Product Development move?
– How well does the product fit with our product strategy?
Quality function deployment Critical Criteria:
Prioritize Quality function deployment failures and raise human resource and employment practices for Quality function deployment.
– Is a New Product Development Team Work effort in place?
Requirements engineering Critical Criteria:
Weigh in on Requirements engineering tasks and stake your claim.
Requirements management Critical Criteria:
Co-operate on Requirements management adoptions and display thorough understanding of the Requirements management process.
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with New Product Development ?
– What kind of support for requirements management will be needed?
– How do we maintain New Product Developments Integrity?
Social design Critical Criteria:
Consult on Social design tasks and look in other fields.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a New Product Development process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the New Product Development process available?
– How will you measure your New Product Development effectiveness?
Soft launch Critical Criteria:
Be clear about Soft launch tasks and raise human resource and employment practices for Soft launch.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your New Product Development strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– What are our New Product Development Processes?
Stevens Institute of Technology Critical Criteria:
Dissect Stevens Institute of Technology outcomes and explore and align the progress in Stevens Institute of Technology.
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the New Product Development process?
Supply chain Critical Criteria:
Read up on Supply chain adoptions and observe effective Supply chain.
– The pharmaceutical industry is also taking advantage of digital progress. It is using IoT for supply chain security in packaging and tracking of drugs. There are new companies using computer chips in pills for tracking adherence to drug regimens and associated biometrics. Using this as an example, how will we use and protect this sensitive data?
– Now that organizations have fine-tuned human performance, supply chain, operations, processes, cycle time, and other targeted areas, how can they continue to improve performance?
– There is a need to determine where value is added in the supply chain what are the expectations of each stakeholder in the supply chain?
– Does Supply Chain Integration Mediate the Relationships between Product/Process Strategy and Service Performance?
– How do supply chain management systems coordinate planning, production, and logistics with suppliers?
– How can sluggish supply chains be empowered by IoT to make them more transparent and responsive?
– What makes cloud computing well suited for supply chain management applications?
– How do we Improve New Product Development service perception, and satisfaction?
– What are the roles of suppliers and supply chain partners in CRM?
– Do any suppliers in the supply chain have a dominating position?
– Do your supply chain relationships tend to be longeror shorter-term?
– What and where are the value changes in the supply chain?
– What is our current position within our supply chain?
– In HW, SW & Services we source from a global supply chain?
– What does the supply chain do with product data?
User-centered design Critical Criteria:
Pay attention to User-centered design goals and work towards be a leading User-centered design expert.
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving New Product Development forward?
– Does our organization need more New Product Development education?
User experience Critical Criteria:
Guide User experience governance and gather User experience models .
– What do you think the world of enterprise software delivery will look like in ten to fifteen years (take into account practices, technology, and user experience)?
– How can I avoid duplication of identity, attributes, and credentials and provide a single sign-on user experience for my users?
– Where does User Experience come from, what does it add to the software development process and what methods are available?
– What is the difference between information architecture and user experience design?
– What are the potential impacts to user experience by using a cloud-based service?
– What are the problems when integrating Agile Development and User Experience?
– Agile-User Experience Design: With or Without a Usability Expert in the Team?
– What is the difference between customer experience and user experience?
– What are the best-practices for creating a good User Experience?
– Are there New Product Development Models?
– What does User Experience do?
– What is User Experience?
Verification and validation Critical Criteria:
Have a round table over Verification and validation strategies and diversify disclosure of information – dealing with confidential Verification and validation information.
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good New Product Development project manager?
Virtual product development Critical Criteria:
Be responsible for Virtual product development visions and simulate teachings and consultations on quality process improvement of Virtual product development.
– Is there any existing New Product Development governance structure?
Voice of the customer Critical Criteria:
Experiment with Voice of the customer tactics and interpret which customers can’t participate in Voice of the customer because they lack skills.
– Does New Product Development systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the New Product Development Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Association of International Product Marketing & Management External links:
Best practice External links:
[PDF]ALTA BEST PRACTICE POLICIES Our Pledge – Title …
www.titlecorockies.com/PDF/Best Practices Pledge 2014m .pdf
[PDF]Best Practices 2013
[PDF]WordPress SEO Title Best Practice 2017
Brand management External links:
Atlanta, GA Marketing and Brand Management – Vehicle Media
RepEquity® | Digital Brand Management, Search …
BEAM: Brand Management Software | Brand Asset …
Choice modelling External links:
Conceptual economy External links:
Winning Lessons for Entrepreneurs in the Conceptual Economy
Consumer good External links:
Retail and Consumer Goods | UPS Solutions
Boytone Electronics and Consumer Goods
ASD Market Week | Consumer Goods & Retail Expo
Customer value proposition External links:
[PDF]The Customer Value Proposition – Colorado State …
Design for assembly External links:
Design for Assembly, Design for Manufacturing
[PDF]Design For Assembly – terraria.store
Design For Assembly – uggboot.store
Design for manufacturability External links:
[PDF]Design For Manufacturability – yuanbao.store
Collaborative Engineering – Design for Manufacturability
Design For Manufacturability – shopwine.store
Design for six sigma External links:
[PDF]Design For Six Sigma (DFSS)
Design for Six Sigma: A Roadmap for Product Development
Design for Six sigma (Book, 2003) [WorldCat.org]
Engineering design External links:
Engineering Design & Testing – ED&T Engineers
Engineering Design Technologies
Dannenbaum – Civil Engineering Design | Texas
High-level design External links:
What is a high-level design document? – Quora
Industrial design External links:
Product design group | industrial design company | YHK Design
KEK | Industrial Design + Product Development
What does an Industrial Designer do? – Sokanu
Integrated Authority File External links:
MEDLARS indexing: integrated authority file
Integrated product team External links:
[PDF]Integrated Product Team Effectiveness in the …
Integrated Product Team (IPT) – AcqNotes
Integrated Product Team – GDIT
Market opportunity External links:
What is Market Opportunity? definition and meaning
Market penetration External links:
MADEMAPE – Market Development and Market Penetration
Ansoff Matrix – Market Penetration Strategy
Market research External links:
Online Market Research | AYTM Market Research
1Q | Instant Mobile Marketing / Market Research
The Arcview Group | Cannabis Investment & Market Research
Market share External links:
Market Share | Title Data
Title Market Share
California Insurance Market Share Reports
www.insurance.ca.gov › … › Company and Agent/Broker Information
National Diet Library External links:
National Diet Library law. (Book, 1961) [WorldCat.org]
Online Gallery | National Diet Library
Pro-innovation bias External links:
In diffusion of innovation theory, a pro-innovation bias is the belief that an innovation should be adopted by whole society without the need of its alteration. The innovation’s “champion” has such strong bias in favor of the innovation, that he/she may not see its limitations or weaknesses and continues to promote it nonetheless.
Pro-innovation bias – iSnare Free Encyclopedia
Process management External links:
HEFLO BPM | Business Process Management
Naviant – Business Process Management
Management process is a process of setting goals, planning and/or controlling the organizing and leading the execution of any type of activity, such as: a project (project management process) or. a process (process management process, sometimes referred to as the process performance measurement and management system).
Product Development and Management Association External links:
Product Development and Management Association …
Cincinnati Product Development and Management Association
Product Development and Management Association …
Product design External links:
KOHLEX | Product Design Services
Electronic Product Design & Development | TechEn, Inc.
Product Design and Development | Key Tech
Product lifecycle External links:
Omnify Software – Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) …
Product Lifecycle Services | Accenture
Bamboo Rose – Product Lifecycle Management Software
Product management External links:
Front Park City 2018 – UX & Product Management Bootcamp
Alpha | Product Management & User Insights Platform
Product Management | Careers at U.S. Bank
Product strategy External links:
(7) Product Strategy Flashcards | Quizlet
LukeW Ideation + Design | Digital Product Strategy & Design
Chapter 12: Product Strategy Flashcards | Quizlet
Quality function deployment External links:
what is QFD? (quality function deployment) – IMPACture
QFD Online – Quality Function Deployment
Requirements engineering External links:
Requirements Engineering Magazine: 2017-02 Staying …
[PDF]Requirements Engineering – QA
Requirements Engineering (eBook, 2002) [WorldCat.org]
Requirements management External links:
Requirements Management Policy – RPM-2 RPM-2
Requirements Management. (eBook, 2016) [WorldCat.org]
iRise – Best prototyping tool + inline requirements management
Social design External links:
Social Design Sydney — designing for social outcomes
DSI / Social Design
InWithForward – a social design organization
Soft launch External links:
Soft Launch Underway, Full Launch Oct. 30 for …
Why You Should Always “Soft Launch” – SPACE CHIMP
The PR Secrets to a Successful Soft Launch – Entrepreneur
Stevens Institute of Technology External links:
Stevens Institute of Technology
Visiting Stevens | Stevens Institute of Technology
Password Service: Stevens Institute of Technology
Supply chain External links:
CaseStack Supply Chain Solutions
Global Supply Chain Management Solutions | Avetta
User-centered design External links:
User-Centered Design – Pennsylvania State University
User-Centered Design Basics | Usability.gov
[PDF]Title A user-centered design method for …
User experience External links:
Lojic | Manufacturing User Experience
User Experience | UX Design Tools | Optimal Workshop
Academy Xi – Learn User Experience Design, Service …
Virtual product development External links:
virtual product development (The Design Society)
Voice of the customer External links:
[PDF]THE VOICE OF THE CUSTOMER. – mit.edu
Customer SONAR™ | Tune in to the Voice of the Customer