What is involved in Product Development
Find out what the related areas are that Product Development connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Product Development thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Product Development journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Product Development leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Product Development related domains to cover and 159 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Product Development, New product development, Association of International Product Marketing & Management, Best practice, Brand management, Choice modelling, Conceptual economy, Consumer good, Customer requirement, Customer value proposition, Design for assembly, Design for manufacturability, Design for six sigma, Detailed design document, Engineering design, Flexible product development, High-level design, Industrial design, Integrated Authority File, Integrated product team, Market opportunity, Market penetration, Market research, Market share, National Diet Library, Phase–gate model, Pro-innovation bias, Process management, Product Development and Management Association, Product design, Product lifecycle, Product management, Product strategy, Quality function deployment, Requirements engineering, Requirements management, Social design, Soft launch, Stevens Institute of Technology, Supply chain, User-centered design, User experience, Verification and validation, Virtual product development, Voice of the customer:
Product Development Critical Criteria:
Read up on Product Development risks and point out improvements in Product Development.
– A dramatic step toward becoming a learning organization is to appoint a chief training officer (CTO) or a chief learning officer (CLO). Many organizations claim to value Human Resources, but how many have a Human Resources representative involved in discussions about research and development commercialization, new product development, the strategic vision of the company, or increasing shareholder value?
– The owner of the product development processes in one of the companies stated: there are no product managers named in the company, what should they do?
– What can we do to ensure that all the necessary product development steps are adequately followed under the pressure of being first to market?
– Compare sequential product development and simultaneous product development. what are the advantages and disadvantages of each approach?
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Product Development agendas for the next 3 years?
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Product Development project?
– Project type: what percent of resources should go to new product developments?
– What are we trying to do whilst progressing a product development lifecycle ?
– How should you most effectively invest your product development resources?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Product Development activities?
– Which step in new product development you think is the most important?
– Do you collaborate with customers for product development and/or innovation?
– Do you collaborate with customers for product development andor innovation?
– What are the steps in the new product development process?
– How can new product development be sped up?
New product development Critical Criteria:
Investigate New product development tasks and display thorough understanding of the New product development process.
– For your Product Development project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– Are assumptions made in Product Development stated explicitly?
– What is our Product Development Strategy?
Association of International Product Marketing & Management Critical Criteria:
Prioritize Association of International Product Marketing & Management leadership and develop and take control of the Association of International Product Marketing & Management initiative.
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Product Development does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– How to deal with Product Development Changes?
Best practice Critical Criteria:
Debate over Best practice planning and document what potential Best practice megatrends could make our business model obsolete.
– Achieving service management excellence is an on-going process. Just as an organization can never have enough sales, so they can never stop paying attention to service assurance. With service management and assurance having such a critical role for CSPs, how can they both achieve optimal service assurance delivery and implement supporting processes to ensure that best practice continues to be observed?
– Is the software and application development process based on an industry best practice and is information security included throughout the software development life cycle (sdlc) process?
– What ITIL best practices, security and data protection standards and guidelines are in use by the cloud service provider?
– What are the best practices for software quality assurance when using agile development methodologies?
– Is the use of CCM destined to become an important and requisite audit methodology best practice?
– Does your organization have a company-wide policy regarding best practices for cyber?
– What are some best practices for gathering business intelligence about a competitor?
– Are CSI and organizational change underpinned by Kotters change management best practices?
– What are some best practices for implementing an air gap in a our setting?
– What best practices are relevant to your service management initiative?
– Are there any best practices or standards for the use of Big Data solutions?
– What are the a best practices for Agile SCRUM Product Management?
– Which is really software best practice, CMM or agile development?
– What are the best practices for Risk Management in Social Media?
– What are some best practices for managing business intelligence?
– Are Organizational Change managements best practices (eg Kotter) applied?
– What best practices are relevant to your itsm initiative?
– Do we adhere to best practices interface design?
Brand management Critical Criteria:
Familiarize yourself with Brand management projects and achieve a single Brand management view and bringing data together.
– Consider your own Product Development project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Product Development study?
– How do we keep improving Product Development?
Choice modelling Critical Criteria:
Categorize Choice modelling adoptions and define what our big hairy audacious Choice modelling goal is.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Product Development services/products?
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Product Development leaders?
Conceptual economy Critical Criteria:
Investigate Conceptual economy adoptions and oversee Conceptual economy management by competencies.
– Have the types of risks that may impact Product Development been identified and analyzed?
– How important is Product Development to the user organizations mission?
– What are the short and long-term Product Development goals?
Consumer good Critical Criteria:
Analyze Consumer good strategies and assess what counts with Consumer good that we are not counting.
– What is the source of the strategies for Product Development strengthening and reform?
– What are the long-term Product Development goals?
– What threat is Product Development addressing?
Customer requirement Critical Criteria:
Merge Customer requirement tasks and cater for concise Customer requirement education.
– Will the product of the project fail to satisfy customer requirements if the change request is not executed?
– Will the product of the project fail to satisfy customer requirements if a change request is not executed?
– Does it increase the risk that the organization cannot meet its customer requirements?
Customer value proposition Critical Criteria:
Judge Customer value proposition results and devise Customer value proposition key steps.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Product Development in a volatile global economy?
– What is the purpose of Product Development in relation to the mission?
– Who sets the Product Development standards?
Design for assembly Critical Criteria:
Read up on Design for assembly leadership and stake your claim.
– What business benefits will Product Development goals deliver if achieved?
– How do we go about Securing Product Development?
Design for manufacturability Critical Criteria:
Have a meeting on Design for manufacturability tactics and pay attention to the small things.
– Can we add value to the current Product Development decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– What are the disruptive Product Development technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
Design for six sigma Critical Criteria:
Align Design for six sigma strategies and slay a dragon.
– How do your measurements capture actionable Product Development information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Product Development is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
Detailed design document Critical Criteria:
Analyze Detailed design document outcomes and integrate design thinking in Detailed design document innovation.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Product Development product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Product Development project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– Does Product Development systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
Engineering design Critical Criteria:
Rank Engineering design failures and find out what it really means.
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Product Development strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– Does Product Development create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– In a project to restructure Product Development outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
Flexible product development Critical Criteria:
Analyze Flexible product development strategies and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive Flexible product development projects.
– Think about the people you identified for your Product Development project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– Do those selected for the Product Development team have a good general understanding of what Product Development is all about?
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Product Development processes?
High-level design Critical Criteria:
Give examples of High-level design goals and oversee High-level design requirements.
– What management system can we use to leverage the Product Development experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– How would one define Product Development leadership?
Industrial design Critical Criteria:
Illustrate Industrial design issues and optimize Industrial design leadership as a key to advancement.
– How do we know that any Product Development analysis is complete and comprehensive?
– How can skill-level changes improve Product Development?
Integrated Authority File Critical Criteria:
Depict Integrated Authority File issues and get going.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Product Development strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– Among the Product Development product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
Integrated product team Critical Criteria:
Trace Integrated product team goals and acquire concise Integrated product team education.
– What are the barriers to increased Product Development production?
– Is there any existing Product Development governance structure?
– How do we Lead with Product Development in Mind?
Market opportunity Critical Criteria:
Drive Market opportunity tasks and probe Market opportunity strategic alliances.
Market penetration Critical Criteria:
Drive Market penetration projects and mentor Market penetration customer orientation.
– Why is Product Development important for you now?
Market research Critical Criteria:
Add value to Market research results and do something to it.
– Does the software allow users to bring in data from outside the company on-the-flylike demographics and market research to augment corporate data?
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Product Development?
– Is Product Development Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
Market share Critical Criteria:
Discuss Market share tactics and create Market share explanations for all managers.
– Are the calculated sales volumes realistic, taking into account the competitive position, realistic market share, importance of customer problem/pain and stage/maturity of customer needs?
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Product Development workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– How do we maintain Product Developments Integrity?
– What drives market share?
National Diet Library Critical Criteria:
Apply National Diet Library tasks and overcome National Diet Library skills and management ineffectiveness.
Phase–gate model Critical Criteria:
Transcribe Phase–gate model failures and finalize the present value of growth of Phase–gate model.
– Is there a Product Development Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– How do we manage Product Development Knowledge Management (KM)?
Pro-innovation bias Critical Criteria:
Discuss Pro-innovation bias engagements and figure out ways to motivate other Pro-innovation bias users.
– What is the total cost related to deploying Product Development, including any consulting or professional services?
– How likely is the current Product Development plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
– Is the scope of Product Development defined?
Process management Critical Criteria:
Face Process management tactics and mentor Process management customer orientation.
– What process management and improvement tools are we using PDSA/PDCA, ISO 9000, Lean, Balanced Scorecard, Six Sigma, something else?
– How do we Improve Product Development service perception, and satisfaction?
– Does the Product Development task fit the clients priorities?
Product Development and Management Association Critical Criteria:
Communicate about Product Development and Management Association failures and prioritize challenges of Product Development and Management Association.
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Product Development that make it risky?
– Does Product Development appropriately measure and monitor risk?
Product design Critical Criteria:
Illustrate Product design decisions and check on ways to get started with Product design.
– To what extent has the product architecture and overall product design been developed?
– What are internal and external Product Development relations?
Product lifecycle Critical Criteria:
Brainstorm over Product lifecycle tasks and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Product lifecycle.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Product Development. How do we gain traction?
– Why should we adopt a Product Development framework?
– How to Secure Product Development?
Product management Critical Criteria:
Transcribe Product management outcomes and correct Product management management by competencies.
– A vital question in new product management is: how should the business most effectively invest its research and development (r&d) and new product resources?
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Product Development process?
– In marketplace businesses what is the optimal relationship between product management Category Management and marketing?
– What is the optimal relationship between Product Management Category Management and Marketing?
– When a Product Development manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
Product strategy Critical Criteria:
Check Product strategy leadership and balance specific methods for improving Product strategy results.
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Product Development?
– How well does the product fit with our product strategy?
– Do we all define Product Development in the same way?
– Is Product Development Required?
Quality function deployment Critical Criteria:
Gauge Quality function deployment issues and prioritize challenges of Quality function deployment.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Product Development into the services that we provide?
– What vendors make products that address the Product Development needs?
– Does our organization need more Product Development education?
Requirements engineering Critical Criteria:
Meet over Requirements engineering engagements and give examples utilizing a core of simple Requirements engineering skills.
Requirements management Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Requirements management issues and don’t overlook the obvious.
– What kind of support for requirements management will be needed?
Social design Critical Criteria:
Scan Social design outcomes and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Product Development goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– Have you identified your Product Development key performance indicators?
– How do we go about Comparing Product Development approaches/solutions?
Soft launch Critical Criteria:
Ventilate your thoughts about Soft launch tasks and adopt an insight outlook.
– Think about the functions involved in your Product Development project. what processes flow from these functions?
Stevens Institute of Technology Critical Criteria:
Ventilate your thoughts about Stevens Institute of Technology tasks and reduce Stevens Institute of Technology costs.
– Think of your Product Development project. what are the main functions?
– Are we Assessing Product Development and Risk?
Supply chain Critical Criteria:
Shape Supply chain outcomes and forecast involvement of future Supply chain projects in development.
– The pharmaceutical industry is also taking advantage of digital progress. It is using IoT for supply chain security in packaging and tracking of drugs. There are new companies using computer chips in pills for tracking adherence to drug regimens and associated biometrics. Using this as an example, how will we use and protect this sensitive data?
– How is the complex digital supply chain -where multiple downstream providers provide services for each other and data residence and transmission points are increasingly obscure -being dealt with from an audit perspective?
– Now that organizations have fine-tuned human performance, supply chain, operations, processes, cycle time, and other targeted areas, how can they continue to improve performance?
– There is a need to determine where value is added in the supply chain what are the expectations of each stakeholder in the supply chain?
– To change the nature of the relationship in the supply chain where should we go and what leverage opportunity could be applied?
– Does Supply Chain Integration Mediate the Relationships between Product/Process Strategy and Service Performance?
– How do supply chain management systems coordinate planning, production, and logistics with suppliers?
– How can sluggish supply chains be empowered by IoT to make them more transparent and responsive?
– What are the roles of suppliers and supply chain partners in CRM?
– Do any suppliers in the supply chain have a dominating position?
– Do your supply chain relationships tend to be longeror shorter-term?
– What and where are the value changes in the supply chain?
– What does the supply chain do with product data?
– In HW, SW & Services we source from a global supply chain?
– Do we have past Product Development Successes?
User-centered design Critical Criteria:
Incorporate User-centered design projects and plan concise User-centered design education.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Product Development strengthening and reform actually originate?
– Is Product Development dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
– How do we Identify specific Product Development investment and emerging trends?
User experience Critical Criteria:
Incorporate User experience results and budget for User experience challenges.
– What do you think the world of enterprise software delivery will look like in ten to fifteen years (take into account practices, technology, and user experience)?
– How can I avoid duplication of identity, attributes, and credentials and provide a single sign-on user experience for my users?
– Where does User Experience come from, what does it add to the software development process and what methods are available?
– What is the difference between information architecture and user experience design?
– What are the potential impacts to user experience by using a cloud-based service?
– What are the problems when integrating Agile Development and User Experience?
– Agile-User Experience Design: With or Without a Usability Expert in the Team?
– What is the difference between customer experience and user experience?
– What are the best-practices for creating a good User Experience?
– What does User Experience do?
– What is User Experience?
Verification and validation Critical Criteria:
Win new insights about Verification and validation failures and integrate design thinking in Verification and validation innovation.
Virtual product development Critical Criteria:
Chart Virtual product development issues and find answers.
– How can you negotiate Product Development successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
Voice of the customer Critical Criteria:
Accelerate Voice of the customer engagements and ask what if.
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Product Development Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
New product development External links:
Project Manager – New Product Development – Portland, …
New Product Development Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
New Product Development Center
Best practice External links:
Best Practices – Independence Title
[PDF]ALTA BEST PRACTICE POLICIES Our Pledge – Title …
www.titlecorockies.com/PDF/Best Practices Pledge 2014m .pdf
Best Practice recommendations for SQL Server Database …
Brand management External links:
RepEquity® | Digital Brand Management, Search …
Atlanta, GA Marketing and Brand Management – Vehicle Media
Watson Creative – Brand Management and Creative Agency
Choice modelling External links:
Conceptual economy External links:
Winning Lessons for Entrepreneurs in the Conceptual Economy
Consumer good External links:
Consumer Goods Technology | Solutions for a New …
Retail and Consumer Goods | UPS Solutions
Customer value proposition External links:
[PDF]The Customer Value Proposition – Colorado State …
Design for assembly External links:
[PDF]Detailed Design For Assembly Guidelines
[PDF]Design For Assembly – terraria.store
Design for assembly (Book, 1983) [WorldCat.org]
Design for manufacturability External links:
DFM, Design for manufacturability | Cadence Inc
Design For Manufacturability – shopwine.store
[PDF]Design For Manufacturability – yuanbao.store
Design for six sigma External links:
Design for Six sigma (Book, 2003) [WorldCat.org]
[PDF]Design For Six Sigma (DFSS)
Design for Six Sigma: A Roadmap for Product Development
Engineering design External links:
Dannenbaum – Civil Engineering Design | Texas
Engineering Design Technologies
Engineering Design & Testing – ED&T Engineers
Industrial design External links:
KEK | Industrial Design + Product Development
KEK | Industrial Design + Product Development
Industrial Design | Appalachian State University
Integrated Authority File External links:
MEDLARS indexing: integrated authority file
Integrated product team External links:
Integrated Product Team – GDIT
[PDF]Integrated Product Team Effectiveness in the …
Integrated Product Team (IPT) – AcqNotes
Market opportunity External links:
What is Market Opportunity? definition and meaning
Market penetration External links:
Ansoff Matrix – Market Penetration Strategy
MADEMAPE – Market Development and Market Penetration
Market Penetration – Commentary Magazine
Market research External links:
Market Research Memphis | Access Insights
1Q | Instant Mobile Marketing / Market Research
Market Research Future: Industry Analysis Report, …
Market share External links:
Market Share Reports in Title Insurance – HDEP …
California Insurance Market Share Reports
www.insurance.ca.gov › … › Company and Agent/Broker Information
Title Market Share
National Diet Library External links:
National Diet Library law. (Book, 1961) [WorldCat.org]
Online Gallery | National Diet Library
Pro-innovation bias External links:
Pro-innovation bias – Revolvy
Pro-innovation bias – iSnare Free Encyclopedia
Process management External links:
HEFLO BPM | Business Process Management
Naviant – Business Process Management
Sales Process Management | ProspectStream
Product Development and Management Association External links:
Product Development and Management Association …
Cincinnati Product Development and Management Association
Product Development and Management Association …
Product design External links:
How to Patent an Idea | Innovate Product Design
Product Design and Development | Key Tech
KOHLEX | Product Design Services
Product lifecycle External links:
Bamboo Rose – Product Lifecycle Management Software
What is product lifecycle ? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Agile Product Lifecycle Management – GENBAND
Product management External links:
Front Park City 2018 – UX & Product Management Bootcamp
Master’s Degree in Drug Development & Product Management
MAPI Product Management Forum – Official Site
Product strategy External links:
Excellent Company | Brand | Communications | Product Strategy
LukeW Ideation + Design | Digital Product Strategy & Design
Chapter 12: Product Strategy Flashcards | Quizlet
Quality function deployment External links:
QFD Online – Quality Function Deployment
what is QFD? (quality function deployment) – IMPACture
Requirements engineering External links:
Requirements Engineering (eBook, 2002) [WorldCat.org]
Requirements Engineering Magazine: 2017-02 Staying …
Requirements Engineering – Springer
Requirements management External links:
Requirements Management Policy – RPM-2 RPM-2
Requirements Management. (eBook, 2016) [WorldCat.org]
iRise – Best prototyping tool + inline requirements management
Social design External links:
Social Design Sydney — designing for social outcomes
DSI / Social Design
InWithForward – a social design organization
Soft launch External links:
Why You Should Always “Soft Launch” – SPACE CHIMP
Soft Launch Underway, Full Launch Oct. 30 for …
The PR Secrets to a Successful Soft Launch – Entrepreneur
Stevens Institute of Technology External links:
Password Service: Stevens Institute of Technology
Stevens Institute of Technology Home
Stevens Institute of Technology
Supply chain External links:
CaseStack Supply Chain Solutions
Global Supply Chain Management Solutions | Avetta
User-centered design External links:
User-Centered Design Basics | Usability.gov
[PDF]Title A user-centered design method for …
User-Centered Design – Pennsylvania State University
User experience External links:
Human Factors and User Experience – Research Collective
Lojic | Manufacturing User Experience
User Experience | UX Design Tools | Optimal Workshop
Virtual product development External links:
virtual product development (The Design Society)
Voice of the customer External links:
The voice of the customer (Book, 1992) [WorldCat.org]
[PDF]THE VOICE OF THE CUSTOMER. – mit.edu
[PPT]Voice of the Customer: Office 365 – Windows