What is involved in Release and deployment management
Find out what the related areas are that Release and deployment management connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Release and deployment management thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Release and deployment management journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Release and deployment management leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Release and deployment management related domains to cover and 173 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Release and deployment management, Release management, Agile software development, Application release automation, Build automation, Change management, Configuration management, Continuous delivery, Continuous integration, Continuous testing, DevOps, DevOps toolchain, Enterprise release management, IT portfolio management, Software, Software development process, Software engineering, Software release, Software testing, Test plan, Web application, WinOps:
Release and deployment management Critical Criteria:
Inquire about Release and deployment management management and tour deciding if Release and deployment management progress is made.
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Release and deployment management opportunities costing us money?
– Have you identified your Release and deployment management key performance indicators?
– Is there any existing Release and deployment management governance structure?
Release management Critical Criteria:
Troubleshoot Release management planning and customize techniques for implementing Release management controls.
– Information/context awareness: how can a developer/participant restore awareness in project activity after having been offline for a few hours, days, or weeks?
– How do these developers concur over long distances in environments where people rarely if ever meet face to face in a virtual organization?
– How do these developers concur over long distances in environments where people rarely if ever meet face to face in a virtual organization?
– What theoretical and methodological tools are available to us as researchers to study such aspects of Release Management?
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Release and deployment management? There might be some that are less obvious?
– Does it Improve the production readiness and quality of your application code?
– Are there any guarantees that the project will ever be completed?
– Is open source software development essentially an agile method?
– What to build, how to build it, build it, and is it built right?
– What do we know about proximity and distance in work groups?
– Do you have existing automation or deployment tools?
– What are the development, release, and deployment activities?
– When should technology be recycled & re-used ?
– What can a cms do for an open source project?
– Who must complete a release management plan?
– Every design decision is technical, or not?
– When is a release management plan used?
– Does Agile Release Management Work in Real Life?
– How well are os projects documented?
– Can you Reduce your release window by 90%?
Agile software development Critical Criteria:
Reconstruct Agile software development governance and suggest using storytelling to create more compelling Agile software development projects.
– Imagine a scenario where you engage a software group to build a critical software system. Do you think you could provide every last detail the developers need to know right off the bat?
– How do you take an approach like CMM that is heavily about management control and measurement and make it light on its feet?
– Can agile methods be used effectively for evolving a system in response to customer change requests?
– Does the organization have a distinct quality program that support continuous process improvement?
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Release and deployment management project?
– What are some keys to successfully conquering ever changing business requirements?
– Which is really software best practice to us, CMM or agile development?
– Should you have a strict project sequence, or should you be flexible?
– What scaling factors should we consider when tailoring our approach?
– What technologies are available to support system development?
– what is the difference between Agile Development and Lean UX?
– How do you best coordinate Agile and non-Agile teams?
– Is Internet-speed software development different?
– What Can We Learn From a Theory of Complexity?
– Any impediments/stumbling blocks?
– What is Scale and Why Manage It?
– What is our Agile methodology?
– What Is Extreme Programming?
– Are Agile teams collocated?
Application release automation Critical Criteria:
Rank Application release automation leadership and optimize Application release automation leadership as a key to advancement.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Release and deployment management product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– Does Release and deployment management include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Release and deployment management effort?
Build automation Critical Criteria:
Communicate about Build automation visions and explain and analyze the challenges of Build automation.
– Have all basic functions of Release and deployment management been defined?
– How can we improve Release and deployment management?
Change management Critical Criteria:
Guide Change management leadership and work towards be a leading Change management expert.
– Troubleshooting – are problems related to what is actually changing (the change), to the management of tasks and resources to make the change happen (project management) or to issues relating to employee engagement, buy-in and resistance (Change Management)?
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Release and deployment management strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– How should projects be phased to allow adequate time for Change Management and organizational acceptance of the selected technologies?
– Do you have resources, processes, and methodologies in place to provide training and organizational change management services?
– What are the most important benefits of effective organizational change management?
– Do Release and deployment management rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
– Are CSI and organizational change underpinned by Kotters change management best practices?
– Does the service providers Change Management process match the customers needs?
– What change management practices does your organization employ?
– Are Organizational Change managements best practices (eg Kotter) applied?
– How pro-active is the Organizational Change Management Plan?
– What is the latest success strategy in change management?
– When and how is Change Management used on a project?
– What is Change Management?
Configuration management Critical Criteria:
Deliberate over Configuration management visions and clarify ways to gain access to competitive Configuration management services.
– Is an asset management process(es) in place to inventory and manage this new asset (investment) from a property management perspective, to provide Configuration Management support, and to monitor system performance?
– A virtual local area network (vlan) is a physical grouping of network devices within a larger network. true or false?
– Have all mechanisms that can lead to temporary or permanent changes to facility configuration been identified?
– Is the test and analysis data available and are the variances to the test results identified and updated?
– The words delta, full and package describe different types of release. Which ones do we use when?
– What tools, resources, and training are required to perform baseline management?
– Have the types of documents to be included in your CM Program been determined?
– Has a post-implementation assessment of your CM Program been conducted?
– When can the building, testing and implementation of a change begin?
– A network segment is a superset of a larger network. true or false?
– Do we do formal technical reviews to assess technical correctness?
– How is information to be collected, stored and reported?
– What versions are affected by component x changes?
– Are the objects baselined in the cm repository?
– Are all other required reviews complete?
– How many reported faults in version t?
– Why is application sizing important?
– What do we do in regression testing?
– Does the change involve a usq?
– What is the release cycle?
Continuous delivery Critical Criteria:
Disseminate Continuous delivery outcomes and research ways can we become the Continuous delivery company that would put us out of business.
– A competitive edge, excellent. Focus on continuous delivery. Move on to continuous deployment because that is going to provide your business value. But look at your individual business. Look at your environment and say is that what gives us the competitive edge?
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding Release and deployment management?
– Does your organization run a Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) process?
– How do we go about Comparing Release and deployment management approaches/solutions?
– Who needs to know about Release and deployment management ?
– Does your organization hope to achieve continuous delivery?
Continuous integration Critical Criteria:
Start Continuous integration projects and catalog Continuous integration activities.
– Is there a Release and deployment management Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– How important is Release and deployment management to the user organizations mission?
– Will we use Continuous Integration?
Continuous testing Critical Criteria:
Merge Continuous testing projects and customize techniques for implementing Continuous testing controls.
– Consider your own Release and deployment management project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Release and deployment management leader?
– How do we measure improved Release and deployment management service perception, and satisfaction?
DevOps Critical Criteria:
Study DevOps leadership and point out DevOps tensions in leadership.
– Telemetry should spot any problem before the customer tells us. How long does it take to identify that which users are affected and how severely?
– Is IT operations realising they risk being marginalised and so they are stepping up to prove their true worth?
– What is the average time to restore service when a production failure occurs?
– Is your organization considering or implementing the concept of DevOps?
– What percentage of your DevOps tools will be cloud based in two years?
– HOW MANY RESOURCES SUPPORT DEVOPS INITIATIVES AT YOUR ORGANIZATION?
– HOW MANY DEVOPS INITIATIVES DOES THE AVERAGE ORGANIZATION SUPPORT?
– Does your organization foresee any drawbacks with DevOps?
– DEVOPS PRACTITIONERS Who runs DevOps Initiatives?
– Testing and Delivery -where are customers today?
– What are some key principles of measurement?
– What is our primary understanding of DevOps?
– Wait, DevOps does not apply to Big Data?
– What practices comprise DevOps?
– Biggest challenge to DevOps?
– What is Agile Development?
– How can DevOps Help us?
– How far along are we?
– What enables DevOps?
DevOps toolchain Critical Criteria:
Judge DevOps toolchain decisions and shift your focus.
– Is maximizing Release and deployment management protection the same as minimizing Release and deployment management loss?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of Release and deployment management?
Enterprise release management Critical Criteria:
Recall Enterprise release management risks and ask what if.
– What management system can we use to leverage the Release and deployment management experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– How likely is the current Release and deployment management plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
IT portfolio management Critical Criteria:
Read up on IT portfolio management adoptions and spearhead techniques for implementing IT portfolio management.
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Release and deployment management process?
– How to deal with Release and deployment management Changes?
Software Critical Criteria:
Canvass Software quality and interpret which customers can’t participate in Software because they lack skills.
– What are the potential areas of conflict that can arise between organizations IT and marketing functions around the deployment and use of business intelligence and data analytics software services and what is the best way to resolve them?
– Does the software let users work with the existing data infrastructure already in place, freeing your IT team from creating more cubes, universes, and standalone marts?
– Vrm programs run the gamut from the collection of a few documents to advanced Risk Management software tools. what is appropriate for our organization?
– When youre thinking about all the different ways a product may be used in the future, do you stop at three, five, or 10 years in the future?
– Can your software connect to all forms of data, from text and excel files to cloud and enterprise-grade databases, with a few clicks?
– Does the company have equipment dependent on remote upgrades to firmware or software, or have plans to implement such systems?
– Is software Quality Assurance done by an independently reporting agency representing the interests of the eventual user?
– How could agile approach be taken into consideration when recruiting personnel and allocating people into projects?
– Can research really be relegated to a series of steps that when performed in sequence result in a new product?
– Can we answer questions like: Is the right version of the compiler and other software tools specified?
– Is the software compatible with new database formats for raw, unstructured, and semi-structured big data?
– What does each software asset cost now and throughout the upgrade or refresh cycles?
– Which software allows an administrator to create and publish a service catalogue?
– Is there an organized user group specifically for the CRM software?
– What is our policy around the distribution of software?
– Does your software integrate with active directory?
– What challenges do teams face when scaling agile?
– What Is Exploratory Testing?
Software development process Critical Criteria:
Think about Software development process failures and frame using storytelling to create more compelling Software development process projects.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Release and deployment management models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– Where does User Experience come from, what does it add to the software development process and what methods are available?
– How will you measure your Release and deployment management effectiveness?
Software engineering Critical Criteria:
Wrangle Software engineering adoptions and interpret which customers can’t participate in Software engineering because they lack skills.
– DevOps isnt really a product. Its not something you can buy. DevOps is fundamentally about culture and about the quality of your application. And by quality I mean the specific software engineering term of quality, of different quality attributes. What matters to you?
– Can we answer questions like: Was the software process followed and software engineering standards been properly applied?
– Does Release and deployment management analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
– Is open source software development faster, better, and cheaper than software engineering?
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Release and deployment management activities?
– Better, and cheaper than software engineering?
Software release Critical Criteria:
Canvass Software release tasks and describe the risks of Software release sustainability.
– Think about the functions involved in your Release and deployment management project. what processes flow from these functions?
– Who will provide the final approval of Release and deployment management deliverables?
Software testing Critical Criteria:
Design Software testing leadership and find out.
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Release and deployment management strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– What is the purpose of Release and deployment management in relation to the mission?
– What threat is Release and deployment management addressing?
Test plan Critical Criteria:
Systematize Test plan decisions and raise human resource and employment practices for Test plan.
– Are accountability and ownership for Release and deployment management clearly defined?
– Is Supporting Release and deployment management documentation required?
– Can we answer questions like: Are the test plan and results available?
Web application Critical Criteria:
Explore Web application adoptions and balance specific methods for improving Web application results.
– I keep a record of names; surnames and emails of individuals in a web application. Do these data come under the competence of GDPR? And do both the operator of the web application and I need to treat them that way?
– To what extent does management recognize Release and deployment management as a tool to increase the results?
– When a Release and deployment management manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
– Are my web application portfolios and databases ready to migrate to the Windows Azure platform?
– Who Is Responsible for Web Application Security in the Cloud?
– How do you approach building a large web application?
– Is the scope of Release and deployment management defined?
– How does IT exploit a Web Application?
WinOps Critical Criteria:
Infer WinOps goals and know what your objective is.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Release and deployment management. How do we gain traction?
– What are the Key enablers to make this Release and deployment management move?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Release and deployment management Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Release management External links:
Agile software development External links:
Freeport Metrics | Agile Software Development and Design
Mobile Apps, Digital Products, Agile Software Development
Agile Scout – Agile Software Development News
Application release automation External links:
Application Release Automation – CA Technologies
Application Release Automation (ARA) – Gartner IT …
DeployHub – Open Source Application Release Automation
Build automation External links:
Best Build Automation Software in 2017 | G2 Crowd
Change management External links:
MDT Software | Automation Change Management
RACI Change Management Model | RACI Training
UNLEASHING INNOVATION IN CHANGE MANAGEMENT …
Configuration management External links:
Configuration Management | IpX
Configure Desired Configuration Management to …
Interactive Configuration Management and Procurement …
Continuous delivery External links:
Continuous Delivery – DevOn
What is Continuous Delivery? – Continuous Delivery
Continuous Delivery – CA Technologies
Continuous integration External links:
[PDF]Continuous integration for BI – sqlsaturday.com
Continuous Integration, Deployment & Delivery with Codeship
Continuous Integration How-To – developer.force.com
Continuous testing External links:
[PDF]Continuous Testing Program The leader in “Remote” …
SeaLights Continuous Testing Management Platform
Continuous Testing with NCrunch | Pluralsight
DevOps External links:
What Is a DevOps Engineer? | Puppet
DevOps in Your Job Title is Doing You Harm – Pete Cheslock
Debating the “DevOps” Job Title – DZone
DevOps toolchain External links:
UpGuard | eBook – DevOps Toolchain
Products | DevOps Toolchain | Inedo
Build your own DevOps Toolchain and Orchestration solution
Enterprise release management External links:
COT – CIO-101 Enterprise Release Management Policy
Software External links:
Insite Software | Built for B2B™
Computer Hardware, Software, Technology Solutions | Insight
InSite SiteWork Excavation Software Overview
Software development process External links:
Software Development Process Flashcards | Quizlet
[PDF]Evolution of Software Development Process Models
Managing the Software Development Process | Wright …
Software engineering External links:
Software Engineering Institute
Omnitech-Inc. – Data & Software Engineering Solutions
Codesmith | Software Engineering & Machine Learning
Software release External links:
TaxAct 2017 Professional Tax Software Release Dates
Certify 10.0.1: What’s in a software release? – Worksoft Inc.
EMS Software Release FAQ
Software testing External links:
Software Testing, Monitoring, Developer Tools | SmartBear
Software Testing and Deployment | Olenick
Quality Assurance & Software Testing- Reston VA
Test plan External links:
[DOC]Test Plan – RIT
Creating and Defining a Test Plan – msdn.microsoft.com
Level 3 Master Test Plan Example – DICOM Homepage
Web application External links:
Web Application Definition – Computer
ArcGIS Web Application
Welcome to the Riverside County Property Tax Web Application
WinOps External links:
[PDF]WinOPS Version 6x and higher End Of Year Procedures
WINOPS Real-Time Dredge Positioning Software – …
WinOps | The conference dedicated to DevOps in a Windows …