What is involved in Business case
Find out what the related areas are that Business case connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Business case thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Business case journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Business case leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Business case related domains to cover and 182 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Business case, Business plan, Case competition, Cost–benefit analysis, Customer satisfaction, Gap analysis, Innovation, Net present value, Opportunity cost, Optimism bias, Planning fallacy, Presentation, Project, Project management, Project manager, Public sector, Reference class forecasting, Resources, Software upgrade, Stakeholder, System performance, Win-win:
Business case Critical Criteria:
X-ray Business case management and simulate teachings and consultations on quality process improvement of Business case.
– Who is driving and leading the business case development for your organization?
– Is there a business case where additional cyber security risks are involved?
– What is the security -life cycle identity management business case?
– Is there any existing Business case governance structure?
– Are accountability and ownership for Business case clearly defined?
– Have sensitivity of the business case been calculated?
– Is the scope of Business case defined?
– Right business case?
Business plan Critical Criteria:
Detail Business plan results and report on developing an effective Business plan strategy.
– Its important to reach your customers. Every business, if wise, will have a promotion and advertising plan. You need to consider the image you want to project to your customers about your business. Will your business stand out because you are a proven a leader in the service or product industry by providing innovative services or products, or you provide customer confidence by providing high quality Customer Service?
– How do your measurements capture actionable Business case information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– Have Business Plans with your Critical Preferred Vendors?
– Do you need to develop a Human Resources manual?
– How do you plan to address Customer Service?
– How can you measure Business case in a systematic way?
– Do we offer Superior Customer Service?
Case competition Critical Criteria:
Participate in Case competition results and find answers.
– What are the key elements of your Business case performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Business case does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– How do we Identify specific Business case investment and emerging trends?
Cost–benefit analysis Critical Criteria:
Powwow over Cost–benefit analysis planning and intervene in Cost–benefit analysis processes and leadership.
– What management system can we use to leverage the Business case experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– How will you measure your Business case effectiveness?
Customer satisfaction Critical Criteria:
Recall Customer satisfaction strategies and look for lots of ideas.
– Do we Make sure to ask about our vendors customer satisfaction rating and references in our particular industry. If the vendor does not know its own rating, it may be a red flag that youre dealing with a company that does not put Customer Service at the forefront. How would a company know what to improve if it had no idea what areas customers felt were lacking?
– What is the difference, if any, in customer satisfaction between the use and results of agile-driven software development methods and the use and results of plan-driven software development software development methods?
– How important are hard measurements that show return on investment compared to soft measurements that demonstrate customer satisfaction and public perception?
– Performance Standard: What should be the standards for completeness, reliability, accuracy, timeliness, customer satisfaction, quality and/or cost?
– Has it re-engineered or redesigned processes, and leveraged technologies to improve responsiveness, Customer Service and customer satisfaction?
– How does the company manage the design and delivery of products and services that promise a high level of customer satisfaction?
– Is the Customer Satisfaction Process something which you think can be automated via an IVR?
– How does the firm measure and monitor client service and customer satisfaction?
– To what extent does management recognize Business case as a tool to increase the results?
– What employee characteristics drive customer satisfaction?
– Who needs to know about Business case ?
Gap analysis Critical Criteria:
Add value to Gap analysis planning and work towards be a leading Gap analysis expert.
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Business case project?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Business case?
Innovation Critical Criteria:
Study Innovation planning and find out what it really means.
– How does a discourse community emerge to launch an organizing vision for an IT innovation before it becomes fashionable or institutionalized?
– What is, really, the difference between development and innovation, i.e. how big or radical do changes have to be to warrant the label innovation ?
– To what extent do innovations fail to diffuse because the necessary supportive arrangements could not coalesce?
– Do you see regulatory restrictions on data/servers localisation requirements as obstacles for data-driven innovation?
– To what extent does your organization have experience with big data and data-driven innovation (DDI)?
– The real challenge: are you willing to get better value and more innovation for some loss of privacy?
– To what extent does data-driven innovation add to the competitive advantage (CA) of your company?
– How does previous experience with innovation affect the change now being considered?
– What are the three most important things we need to focus on to foster innovation?
– Do you collaborate with customers for product development andor innovation?
– Have we built customer-driven innovation into our organization?
– How does technology destiny affect organizational innovation?
– What can we do to foster greater levels of innovation?
– What is the newest innovation in online learning?
– How do we foster innovation?
– How much does Business case help?
Net present value Critical Criteria:
Guard Net present value quality and probe the present value of growth of Net present value.
– When using the net present value method, how does one know whether the true rate of return is greater or less than the discount rate?
– How will you know that the Business case project has been successful?
– What is the major disadvantage of the net present value method?
– Has the products net present value (npv) been calculated?
– How do we maintain Business cases Integrity?
– What threat is Business case addressing?
Opportunity cost Critical Criteria:
Air ideas re Opportunity cost adoptions and sort Opportunity cost activities.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Business case? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– What is the opportunity cost of providing staff with the potential to learn new technologies or increase their expertise?
– What are the opportunity costs for conducting the program?
– How do we go about Comparing Business case approaches/solutions?
– Are there recognized Business case problems?
Optimism bias Critical Criteria:
Meet over Optimism bias results and cater for concise Optimism bias education.
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Business case project manager?
– What will drive Business case change?
Planning fallacy Critical Criteria:
Scan Planning fallacy quality and innovate what needs to be done with Planning fallacy.
– Think about the people you identified for your Business case project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Business case delivery for example is new software needed?
Presentation Critical Criteria:
Confer re Presentation failures and define what our big hairy audacious Presentation goal is.
– Can the system protect against unauthorized access by use of an image versus presentation of an actual biometric object (i.e., presentation of a picture of an iris/retina versus presentation of the actual eye)?
– You meet with the chief executive – you start your presentation. after the first three of sixty slides he/she says, I am convinced, what should we do?
– Do the requirements that weve gathered and the models that demonstrate them constitute a full and accurate representation of what we want?
– Has the presentation of search results based on various parameters such as content type or topic been determined?
– Global email, posters, paycheck advice messages, intranet, presentations, Health & Benefit Fair?
– Is any of this documentation suitable for a journal article or conference presentation?
– How do mission and objectives affect the Business case processes of our organization?
– What are the key promotion and shelf presentation tactics?
– Is there a prescriptive presentation format?
– Are there Business case Models?
Project Critical Criteria:
Judge Project planning and attract Project skills.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Business case project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– Does the design of the program/projects overall data collection and reporting system ensure that, if implemented as planned, it will collect and report quality data?
– If the project/program is not fully funded for the year, how will this affect the project/programs implementation and what is being done to address this issue?
– Are there metrics and standards that can be used for control of agile project progress during execution?
– Strategic fit: The first is: are all your projects consistent with your businesss strategy?
– How have the content themes in the management of programs and projects evolved over time?
– Who prioritizes, conducts and monitors business intelligence projects?
– Is the funding for the project secure, or is only part of it in place?
– How do we create a culture that supports project management?
– How can Trello be used as an Agile project management tool?
– What about when our context is not so simple?
– What are the project priorities and constraints?
– What is Project Vs Process?
– What should the results be?
– What is Resource Planning?
– Needs project management?
– What is risk management?
– What is value for money?
– Whom does it serve?
Project management Critical Criteria:
Pay attention to Project management strategies and tour deciding if Project management progress is made.
– Agile project management with Scrum derives from best business practices in companies like Fuji-Xerox, Honda, Canon, and Toyota. Toyota routinely achieves four times the productivity and 12 times the quality of competitors. Can Scrum do the same for globally distributed teams?
– Partial solutions can only be used if the information support is being developed for a process that has not yet been computerised. Namely, if users already use an old IT solution – will they partly use the old one and partly the new one?
– How can a company arrange a new project if the management does not know when they will finish the current projects and when the employees will be free to take on a new project?
– How will the existing culture and organizational structure be impacted by agile project management?
– A heuristic, a decision support system, or new practices to improve current project management?
– What did you accomplish yesterday, what will you do today, and what impediments are getting in your way?
– How do organizations adapt to a radically new framework such as agile?
– Why are project management models not used in maintenance?
– Can scrum do the same for globally distributed teams?
– What is an economic aspect of Project Management?
– What is the meaning of success in this context?
– What project management certifications do you hold?
– What is Project Management?
– What is the cost of change?
– What is agile anyways?
– When is done done?
Project manager Critical Criteria:
Administer Project manager results and gather practices for scaling Project manager.
– There is lots of discussion about the role of a project manager; whether a project manager is needed in the agile world or not. How much and which way a traditional project manager has to change his/her management style or way of working in order to be an agile project manager?
– With agile processes promoting the concept of self-directed teams, is there room for the conventional project manager or does this role also need to evolve to suit the principles of the new paradigm?
– Can we add value to the current Business case decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– How can an agile project manager balance team level autonomy and individual level autonomy in agile software teams?
– What are the actions taken by project managers when leading and implementing a transformational change initiative?
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Business case objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Business case is underway?
– How can an agile project manager balance team level autonomy and individual level autonomy in agile software teams?
– What processes do project managers and content strategists use to collect content for client websites?
– So, if the project no longer needs a detailed master project plan, why does it need a project manager?
– What are the most important skills practitioners consider make an effective people project manager?
– So, if the project no longer needs a detailed master project plan, why does it need a project manager?
– What project management qualifications does the Project Manager have?
– Can project managers measure project status at any point in time?
– What is the necessity of a Project Manager?
– What is the duty of a Project Manager?
– What was the project manager best at?
– Who are the project managers?
Public sector Critical Criteria:
Investigate Public sector visions and correct Public sector management by competencies.
– Does Business case analysis show the relationships among important Business case factors?
– Do the Business case decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
– Is Business case Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
Reference class forecasting Critical Criteria:
Accelerate Reference class forecasting planning and assess and formulate effective operational and Reference class forecasting strategies.
– How do we keep improving Business case?
– What is Effective Business case?
Resources Critical Criteria:
Test Resources risks and get out your magnifying glass.
– Does your department or organizational unit manage or support computing resources (data bases, hardware, web pages, etc.) that are used by people that access those resources from outside your department?
– Describe your views on the value of human assets in helping an organization achieve its goals. how important is it for organizations to train and develop their Human Resources?
– Does your company provide resources to improve end-user awareness of phishing, malware, indicators of compromise, and procedures in the event of a potential breach?
– Strategic goals: Management is required to split resources across the specified strategic goals. For example, what percent should be spent on Defending the Base?
– What happens if an individual objects to the collection, use, and disclosure of his or her personal data?
– Do we identify desired outcomes and key indicators (if not already existing) such as what metrics?
– Have there been changes in resources allocated to Data Management staffing and equipment needs?
– Should pay levels and differences reflect what workers are used to in their own countries?
– Do we leverage resources like the ESC2M2 or DOE Risk Management Process for Cybersecurity?
– To satisfy our customers and stakeholders, what financial objectives must we accomplish?
– Do the expected outcomes justify the level of resources required to run the program?
– How important is it for organizations to train and develop their Human Resources?
– Do you need to spend significant resources now, or can you wait a few years?
– Do you have a defined operating model with dedicated resources for IT risk?
– What are the legal risks in using Big Data/People Analytics in hiring?
– What decisions can you envision making with this type of information?
– What skills and resources can the target group offer?
– Does all hr data receive the same level of security?
– What are the resources involved in the process?
Software upgrade Critical Criteria:
Read up on Software upgrade management and pioneer acquisition of Software upgrade systems.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Business case models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– Is Business case Required?
Stakeholder Critical Criteria:
Track Stakeholder engagements and learn.
– Stakeholder organizations will all have their own objectives and channels to market and this provides them with a challenge. How do they manage their piece of the overall ecosystem and benefit from it whilst also contributing to the greater good of society at large?
– Are we using Business case to communicate information about our Cybersecurity Risk Management programs including the effectiveness of those programs to stakeholders, including boards, investors, auditors, and insurers?
– When do we begin thinking about who are the key stakeholders, groups, and individuals in the organization who must feel the need for change for team training to happen. are they on-board yet?
– What steps have executives included in the Change Management plan to identify and address customers and stakeholders concerns about the specific process to be reengineered?
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Business case processes?
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding Business case?
– Are recovery activities communicated to internal stakeholders and executive and management teams?
– In a project to restructure Business case outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– To satisfy customers and stakeholders, which internal business process must we excel in?
– Are there any foreseeable problems working in partnership with any of the stakeholders?
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Business case forward?
– Are the people changing, especially the sponsors or stakeholders?
– How will stakeholders and customers react to the change?
– Who are the stakeholders involved with the system?
– Who are the likely stakeholders in this program?
– Will the team be populated by stakeholders?
System performance Critical Criteria:
Guard System performance governance and ask what if.
– Is an asset management process(es) in place to inventory and manage this new asset (investment) from a property management perspective, to provide Configuration Management support, and to monitor system performance?
– Have you considered that metrics collection, and system performance and security monitoring are more difficult in the cloud?
– Does Business case systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– What are the important external or multisectoral determinants of system performance?
Win-win Critical Criteria:
Adapt Win-win outcomes and report on setting up Win-win without losing ground.
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Business case strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Business case with what users do day-to-day?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Business case Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Business plan External links:
Business Plan Basics – Small Business Administration
An Introduction to Business Plans – Entrepreneur
How to Write a Business Plan (with Sample Business Plans)
Case competition External links:
APRU-NYT Asia-Pacific Case Competition 2017
IBM Case Competition
Customer satisfaction External links:
Long John Silver’s Customer Satisfaction Survey – …
Big Lots! Customer Satisfaction Survey
Weis Customer Satisfaction Survey
Gap analysis External links:
HIPAA Gap Analysis and Training – Texas Medical …
ICH Gap Analysis – ACRP
Gap Analysis | CTTSO
Innovation External links:
NeoBux: The Innovation in Paid-to-Click Services
Thesys Tech | Innovation in Trading Technology
Net present value External links:
How to Calculate Net Present Value (Npv) in Excel – YouTube
Net Present Value (NPV) – Math is Fun
A Refresher on Net Present Value – Harvard Business Review
Opportunity cost External links:
Opportunity Cost – examples, advantages, school, business
G-Eazy – Opportunity Cost – YouTube
“StartUp” Opportunity Cost (TV Episode 2017) – IMDb
Optimism bias External links:
Why Optimism Bias May Work Against You | Prudential …
“Optimism Bias in Fitness” by Katrielle Marx
Tali Sharot: The optimism bias | TED Talk
Planning fallacy External links:
The Planning Fallacy – The New York Times
Presentation External links:
Create Stunning Title Slide For Your Presentation
Untitled Presentation – SlideShare
Project External links:
The Noun Project – Official Site
Project management External links:
PMP Training | Project Management Academy
Project management software, online collaboration: Basecamp
LearnSmart IT & Project Management Online Training …
Project manager External links:
[PDF]PROJECT MANAGER MAIN BATTLE TANK SYSTEMS
Condo Project Manager (CPM) – fanniemae.com
HealthMEDX Project Manager Logon
Public sector External links:
Public Sector – Employers | Aetna
CGI Public Sector Cloud
SunGard Public Sector NaviLine® – Indiana
Reference class forecasting External links:
Reference class forecasting – Revolvy
www.revolvy.com/topic/Reference class forecasting
Musings on project management: Reference Class Forecasting
The planning fallacy and reference class forecasting
Resources External links:
TEACH Resources: TEACH System :OTI:NYSED
DNR – Department of Natural Resources
Minnesota Department of Natural Resources: Minnesota …
Stakeholder External links:
About Stakeholder Enterprise Portal – Liferay
Stakeholder Webinars | Study in the States
Stakeholder | Definition of Stakeholder by Merriam-Webster
System performance External links:
Improving System Performance without Adding Memory …
Aviation System Performance Metrics (ASPM)
System Performance Variance Report – Emergency …