What is involved in Strategic Communications
Find out what the related areas are that Strategic Communications connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Strategic Communications thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Strategic Communications journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Strategic Communications leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Strategic Communications related domains to cover and 194 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Strategic Communications, Strategic communication, Brand management, Business process, Business unit, Commerce, Communication, Concept, Data management, Global network, Government, Impression management, Logistics, Media intelligence, Media manipulation, Military, Military unit, Political warfare, Project management, Propaganda, Public relations, Reputation management, Strategy, Telecommunication:
Strategic Communications Critical Criteria:
Air ideas re Strategic Communications strategies and catalog what business benefits will Strategic Communications goals deliver if achieved.
– Strategic communications focuses on strategy not tactics. in imc, you learn to ask how specifically does your company or business communicate effectively with the audiences?
– What are the key elements of your Strategic Communications performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– Do Strategic Communications rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
– How will you measure your Strategic Communications effectiveness?
Strategic communication Critical Criteria:
Consult on Strategic communication failures and figure out ways to motivate other Strategic communication users.
– Does Strategic Communications include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– Have you identified your Strategic Communications key performance indicators?
– Are there Strategic Communications problems defined?
Brand management Critical Criteria:
Exchange ideas about Brand management governance and intervene in Brand management processes and leadership.
– How would one define Strategic Communications leadership?
– Is a Strategic Communications Team Work effort in place?
Business process Critical Criteria:
Consider Business process engagements and oversee Business process management by competencies.
– Have the segments, goals and performance objectives been translated into an actionable and realistic target business and information architecture expressed within business functions, business processes, and information requirements?
– To what extent will this product open up for subsequent add-on products, e.g. business process outsourcing services built on top of a program-as-a-service offering?
– What is the importance of knowing the key performance indicators KPIs for a business process when trying to implement a business intelligence system?
– Are interruptions to business activities counteracted and critical business processes protected from the effects of major failures or disasters?
– What are the disruptive Strategic Communications technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– When conducting a business process reengineering study, what should we look for when trying to identify business processes to change?
– Do you design data protection and privacy requirements into the development of your business processes and new systems?
– To satisfy customers and stakeholders, which internal business process must we excel in?
– If we accept checks what is the desired business process around supporting checks?
– Will existing staff require re-training, for example, to learn new business processes?
– What would Eligible entity be asked to do to facilitate your normal business process?
– What business process supports the entry and validation of the data?
– How do we improve business processes and how do we deliver on that?
– On what basis would you decide to redesign a business process?
– How will business process and behavioral change be managed?
– What/how are business processes defined?
– What is the business process?
Business unit Critical Criteria:
Add value to Business unit tasks and perfect Business unit conflict management.
– How do we revise the risk appetite statement so that we can link it to risk culture, roll it out effectively to the business units and bring it to life for them. How do we make it meaningful in connecting it with what they do day-to-day?
– Who will be responsible for leading the various bcp teams (e.g., crisis/emergency, recovery, technology, communications, facilities, Human Resources, business units and processes, Customer Service)?
– Does the tool we use have the ability to integrate with Enterprise Active Directory Servers to determine users and build user, role, and business unit policies?
– Service-level requirement, how can the IT or business unit meet the internal marketing departments availability expectation based on the SaaS providers SLA?
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Strategic Communications does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– When you put together your strategic plan, is that based on input from your customers, your business units that you service?
– What vendors make products that address the Strategic Communications needs?
– No single business unit responsible for enterprise data?
– How do we Lead with Strategic Communications in Mind?
Commerce Critical Criteria:
Guard Commerce outcomes and probe Commerce strategic alliances.
– What are 3rd party licenses integrated with the current CRM, for example Email Marketing, Travel Planner, e-newsletter, search engine, surveys, reporting/trend analysis, e-Commerce, etc.?
– What are 3rd party licenses integrated, for example Email Marketing, Travel Planner, e-newsletter, search engine, surveys, reporting/trend analysis, e-Commerce, etc.?
– How you manage your Shipment Tracking in eCommerce through the SAP Business One SAP B1?
– How does B2B eCommerce affect our selection of the right type of relationship?
– What is the purpose of Strategic Communications in relation to the mission?
– Is the security of electronic commerce services and their secure use ensured?
– What ERP software has B2B B2C eCommerce WebStore Integration?
– Who sets the Strategic Communications standards?
– What erp systems are ecommerce companies using?
– What is Effective Strategic Communications?
Communication Critical Criteria:
Brainstorm over Communication risks and plan concise Communication education.
– IoT-based offerings are no longer one-off product hardware sales. Instead, manufacturers will embark on new relationships with customers that last for the entire lifecycle of the hardware product. Through over-the-air (OTA) communications, firmware updates and feature enhancements can be delivered to IoT products for as long as they are installed. Given this shift, how should we price our IoT offerings?
– The communication objectives need to be tailored to each stakeholder group, depending on their level of influence, power, and support. Is the message intended to persuade, inform, educate, create participation, influence, change perceptions, influence behavior, engage, garner support, address concerns, or establish ambassadors to support the change?
– What people, activities, organizations and media can have the most effect on determining the target audiences receptivity to csm products?
– Further quantify the objectives youve established. set a range if need be. what distribution level do you hope to achieve?
– How do we begin to approach our marketing opportunities from an integrated marketing communications standpoint?
– What are you trying to achieve (e.g. specific knowledge, opinion and/or behavior outcome to be achieved)?
– If you do not know the cpm how can you justify the expense of using one medium or vehicle versus another?
– How will the business operate in the event of a communication or a system component failure?
– Does your company have emergency communications links with other interconnected companies?
– How will we measure whether the communications strategy achieves its objectives?
– Can disclosures be effective as remedies in advertising and consumer protection?
– How do we maintaining integrity between communication ports and firewalls?
– How much interaction w/customers does this communications vehicle allow?
– Which kinds of advertising in which media influence you the most?
– Do you have a communication plan ready to go after a data breach?
– Measurement – how will the impact be assessed afterwards?
– Build on this with some publicity?
– Sector companies handle promotion?
– Who are your target audiences?
Concept Critical Criteria:
Trace Concept outcomes and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– With agile processes promoting the concept of self-directed teams, is there room for the conventional project manager or does this role also need to evolve to suit the principles of the new paradigm?
– Which is the correct combination of concepts and Service Management processes?
– Which applications can I immediately move after a proof of concept?
– Is your organization considering or implementing the concept of DevOps?
– Is the incidence of fraud increasing or decreasing?
– What is one way product concepts are tested?
– When should the revenue be recognized?
– What are the perpetrator profiles?
– How Are Financial Statements Used?
– What are the victim profiles?
– What are exempt inventories?
– How is fraud committed?
– When should we reorder?
Data management Critical Criteria:
Focus on Data management adoptions and slay a dragon.
– Are the data and associated software produced and/or used in the project discoverable (and readily located), identifiable by means of a standard identification mechanism (e.g. digital object identifier)?
– What will be the policies for data sharing and public access (including provisions for protection of privacy, confidentiality, security, intellectual property rights and other rights as appropriate)?
– Are the data and backups being stored in multiple places and on different media types to protect against a single-point failure?
– If funding is project-based and therefore time-limited, how will the costs of long-term preservation be supported?
– Is there a designated person responsible for Data Management and analysis at the management unit at central level?
– Are we using ontology standards such as OWL and RDF in our information architecture or data management practices?
– Does more than one person know where the data are being stored and how to access them?
– How is the information/Data Management function configured in your organization?
– What are the usability implications of Strategic Communications actions?
– File availability is the assigned external file available?
– Which file formats will you use for your data, and why?
– Why have a research data management policy or policies?
– How will you create a de-identified copy of the data?
– How do you make your data meaningful to others?
– How is the data being stored and backed up?
– How will you manage data security?
– What Is Master Data Management?
– Who paid for the data?
– Is PDM a good fit?
– Who is using PDM?
Global network Critical Criteria:
Examine Global network goals and triple focus on important concepts of Global network relationship management.
– How do your measurements capture actionable Strategic Communications information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– In a project to restructure Strategic Communications outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Strategic Communications ?
Government Critical Criteria:
Accommodate Government decisions and look in other fields.
– A significant amount of data will be regularly received by the vendor (from nih, cms, and other government and non-government entities). is this data de-identified according to hipaa privacy standards as a matter of course?
– At a high level, the challenge with the Patriot Act can be viewed as location, location, location. Exactly where is your data physically, and therefore whose government policies will your data be subject to?
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Strategic Communications strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Strategic Communications services/products?
– Any changes in the status of the location due to the disaster from the local or federal government that should be considered?
– Have current policies from relevant government and nongovernment agencies relating to the proposed program been examined?
– Under what conditions are managers an absolute requirement in an agile environment? (e.g. Government applications?)
– Does the information generation, consumption and/or access conform to agency specific and government regulations?
– Are there any promotions being done in your local area by government or others that you can take advantage of?
– Exactly where is your data physically, and therefore whose government policies will your data be subject to?
– Have any stakeholders, other government sectors or agencies expressed an interest in sustaining the program?
– Does your government have adequate policies to protect confidential electronic data / communications?
– Does your organization share data with other entities (with customers, suppliers, companies, government, etc)?
– What steps has the federal government taken to mitigate the draconian effect of AKS on ACOs?
– How do we Improve Strategic Communications service perception, and satisfaction?
Impression management Critical Criteria:
Bootstrap Impression management outcomes and assess and formulate effective operational and Impression management strategies.
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Strategic Communications?
– How do we go about Securing Strategic Communications?
Logistics Critical Criteria:
Adapt Logistics projects and ask what if.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Strategic Communications processes?
– How do supply chain management systems coordinate planning, production, and logistics with suppliers?
– Are we Assessing Strategic Communications and Risk?
– What type of logistics are required?
Media intelligence Critical Criteria:
Troubleshoot Media intelligence engagements and don’t overlook the obvious.
– In the case of a Strategic Communications project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Strategic Communications project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Strategic Communications project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– How do we ensure that implementations of Strategic Communications products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– Is Strategic Communications dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
Media manipulation Critical Criteria:
Paraphrase Media manipulation issues and do something to it.
– When a Strategic Communications manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
– Is Supporting Strategic Communications documentation required?
– Do we all define Strategic Communications in the same way?
Military Critical Criteria:
Unify Military strategies and prioritize challenges of Military.
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Strategic Communications moving forward?
– What are the Key enablers to make this Strategic Communications move?
– Why should we adopt a Strategic Communications framework?
– What is your foreign military service history?
– What is your military service record?
Military unit Critical Criteria:
Steer Military unit results and arbitrate Military unit techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– How important is Strategic Communications to the user organizations mission?
Political warfare Critical Criteria:
Infer Political warfare strategies and acquire concise Political warfare education.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Strategic Communications in a volatile global economy?
– Is maximizing Strategic Communications protection the same as minimizing Strategic Communications loss?
– Who needs to know about Strategic Communications ?
Project management Critical Criteria:
Exchange ideas about Project management goals and find out.
– How do you merge agile, lightweight processes with standard industrial processes without either killing agility or undermining the years youve spent defining and refining your systems and software process assets?
– Does it replace or negate traditional project management concerns with risk, scheduling, metrics, and execution, or does it shift how we think about these and necessitate new techniques and approaches?
– How much and which way a traditional project manager has to change his/her management style or way of working in order to be an agile project manager?
– What happens to the function of the business analysis in user story development?
– So, how do we adapt project management techniques to deal with this key reality?
– Justification: what are your research questions and how do you motivate them?
– How do organizations adapt to a radically new framework such as agile?
– Why are project management models not used in maintenance?
– Agile Project Management and PRINCE2 9 – one or the other, or both?
– Agile Project Management and PRINCE2 – one or the other, or both?
– Can scrum do the same for globally distributed teams?
– What type of certificate will be awarded and by whom?
– How do we deal with change when it happens?
– What project management certifications do you hold?
– Are we ready to execute an agile project?
– How do we minimize impact and cost?
– So then, what is a virtual team?
– What is the cost of change?
– What is Project Management?
– When does a project begin and end?
Propaganda Critical Criteria:
Communicate about Propaganda outcomes and separate what are the business goals Propaganda is aiming to achieve.
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Strategic Communications activities?
– What are the long-term Strategic Communications goals?
Public relations Critical Criteria:
Boost Public relations leadership and question.
– If the single biggest influence in shaping consumers attitudes is community organizations, what are they and how can public relations help?
– What are your public relations problems and opportunities based on the product/program and consumer lifecycles?
– What are the problems, opportunities and anticipated issues that public relations can address?
– What do public relations professionals need to do to become excellent leaders?
– Can we do Strategic Communications without complex (expensive) analysis?
Reputation management Critical Criteria:
Ventilate your thoughts about Reputation management engagements and integrate design thinking in Reputation management innovation.
– How likely is the current Strategic Communications plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Strategic Communications effort?
– Do you have a plan in place for reputation management after an event?
Strategy Critical Criteria:
Pilot Strategy failures and get answers.
– Have we developed a continuous monitoring strategy for the information systems (including monitoring of security control effectiveness for system-specific, hybrid, and common controls) that reflects the organizational Risk Management strategy and organizational commitment to protecting critical missions and business functions?
– Has the team ensured that key cultural barriers (e.g., training and skills required for new jobs, entrenched culture, incompatible support structures, fear of downsizing) are addressed in its Change Management strategy?
– How do we provide the context for investment considerations (which services does an investment affect, and how does that fit with the business strategy and priorities?
– How many times has a flawed communications strategy contributed to a less-than-successful change effort?
– Which statement best describes your organizations current IT service management strategy?
– Do you have an IT risk program framework aligned to IT strategy and enterprise risk?
– What is your it asset management program. is it manual or automated (which vendor)?
– What is the ideal IT architecture for implementing a social CRM SCRM strategy?
– Is our Cybersecurity strategy aligned with our business objectives?
– What primary strategy do you recommend for a newly presented SKU?
– Is there an information classification strategy?
Telecommunication Critical Criteria:
Give examples of Telecommunication governance and finalize the present value of growth of Telecommunication.
– If voip is classified as a telecommunications service, should access charges for it be different from those paid by non-ip-enabled telecommunications service providers?
– How does each element of our Telecommunications (TC) and Data Communications affect the basic structure of Confidentiality, Integrity, and Availability (C.I.A.)?
– Are interdependent service providers (for example, fuel suppliers, telecommunications providers, meter data processors) included in risk assessments?
– What is the proper regulatory classification for voip services (telecommunications or value-added)?
– Do we monitor the Strategic Communications decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– Voip – telecommunications or value added service?
– What threat is Strategic Communications addressing?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Strategic Communications Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Strategic Communications External links:
HudsonLake | Strategic Communications
What is strategic communications? – IDEA
What is strategic communications? – IDEA
Strategic communication External links:
What is strategic communications? – IDEA
Bridge Communications > Strategic Communication by …
Office of Strategic Communication
Brand management External links:
RepEquity® | Digital Brand Management, Search …
Atlanta, GA Marketing and Brand Management – Vehicle Media
BEAM: Brand Management Software | Brand Asset …
Business process External links:
20 Best Title:(business Process Manager) jobs (Hiring …
Business Process Management Jobs – CareerBuilder
What is business process? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Business unit External links:
Business Unit Performance – API Heat Transfer
Dallas Business Unit – Wachter
Definition of the Business Units – Oracle Help Center
Commerce External links:
Ohio Department Of Commerce | Division Of Liquor Control
Communication External links:
Red e App | Employee Communication App | Learn More
NextCapital – Stripe Internal Communication Channel
Concept External links:
Research Concept Paper – Statistics Solutions
Title Concepts, LLC – Home | Facebook
Data management External links:
What is Data Management: Definition | Informatica US
Fountas & Pinnell Literacy Online Data Management System
Item Data Management Vendor Portal – Login
Global network External links:
The Global Network of Estes Forwarding Worldwide
Homepage – Discover Global Network
Home – Simple Church Global Network
Government External links:
Who is Eligible for Marriott’s Government Rates?
Government Entities | Internal Revenue Service
Impression management External links:
First Impression Management | Customized Corporate …
[PDF]Effects of Impression Management on – Concordia …
Logistics External links:
United Vision Logistics – Official Site
Ecommerce & Logistics Solutions | Sears Commerce Services
Media intelligence External links:
FIBEP World Media Intelligence Congress
Media monitoring Services | Media Intelligence Provider
Infegy: Social Media Intelligence and Text Analysis Solutions
Media manipulation External links:
UC Berkeley Events Calendar: Media Manipulation, Fake …
Mainstream Media Manipulation Analyzed and Exposed – …
Media Manipulation and Disinformation Online || Data & …
Military unit External links:
Military Unit Finder
Project management External links:
Pepper Construction Project Management Solution
LearnSmart IT & Project Management Online Training …
Capital Planning & Project Management
Propaganda External links:
Propaganda | Definition of Propaganda by Merriam-Webster
The Propaganda Game | Netflix
Love + Propaganda
Public relations External links:
VocusPR – Cision Public Relations
Agentry PR | Fashion | NYC Public Relations
Public Relations Job Titles and Descriptions – The Balance
Reputation management External links:
BirdEye – Online Reputation Management
eMerit – Online Reputation Management for Doctors
Online Reputation Management & Marketing – Reputation Loop
Strategy External links:
BrandExtract – Branding & Brand Strategy Consulting
Telecommunication External links:
Intelisys – Telecommunications Master Agency