What is involved in Linux on z Systems
Find out what the related areas are that Linux on z Systems connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Linux on z Systems thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Linux on z Systems journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Linux on z Systems leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Linux on z Systems related domains to cover and 118 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Linux on z Systems, IBM 4690 OS, GNU Compiler Collection, DOS/360 and successors, Tanenbaum–Torvalds debate, Concurrent Versions System, Digital media, IBM CP-40, IBM PC DOS, GM-NAA I/O, SUSE Linux Enterprise Server, IBM z Systems, Linux gaming, Linux Gazette, VM/XA SF, Think Blue Linux, OS/VS1 BPE, Kernel-based Virtual Machine, Amdahl UTS, SAP ERP, Network interface card, OpenSolaris for System z, Samba software, Package format, GNU General Public License, Linux Format, GNU/Linux naming controversy, Linux Documentation Project, Source code, IBM LinuxONE, Hercules emulator, VM/XA SP, Linux Foundation, Hot swapping, Linux startup process, ORVYL and WYLBUR, IBM 7090/94 IBSYS, Information Management System, Ubuntu Linux, Free software, Channel I/O, Linus’s Law, Linux kernel, IBM DPPX, Linux Counter, Operating system, Linux Mark Institute, Cross compiler, Linux on embedded systems, Full virtualization, Integrated Facility for Linux:
Linux on z Systems Critical Criteria:
Focus on Linux on z Systems results and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– What are our needs in relation to Linux on z Systems skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– Do Linux on z Systems rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
– Does Linux on z Systems appropriately measure and monitor risk?
IBM 4690 OS Critical Criteria:
Systematize IBM 4690 OS outcomes and plan concise IBM 4690 OS education.
– Is the scope of Linux on z Systems defined?
GNU Compiler Collection Critical Criteria:
Drive GNU Compiler Collection projects and explore and align the progress in GNU Compiler Collection.
– How can you negotiate Linux on z Systems successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Linux on z Systems study?
– Who needs to know about Linux on z Systems ?
DOS/360 and successors Critical Criteria:
Mine DOS/360 and successors tactics and raise human resource and employment practices for DOS/360 and successors.
– To what extent does management recognize Linux on z Systems as a tool to increase the results?
– How to deal with Linux on z Systems Changes?
Tanenbaum–Torvalds debate Critical Criteria:
Discourse Tanenbaum–Torvalds debate adoptions and budget the knowledge transfer for any interested in Tanenbaum–Torvalds debate.
– In the case of a Linux on z Systems project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Linux on z Systems project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Linux on z Systems project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– What are the barriers to increased Linux on z Systems production?
– Does the Linux on z Systems task fit the clients priorities?
Concurrent Versions System Critical Criteria:
Track Concurrent Versions System goals and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Concurrent Versions System.
– For your Linux on z Systems project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– Think about the functions involved in your Linux on z Systems project. what processes flow from these functions?
– Do we all define Linux on z Systems in the same way?
Digital media Critical Criteria:
Guard Digital media risks and stake your claim.
– What are the key elements of your Linux on z Systems performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– Why is Linux on z Systems important for you now?
– What are our Linux on z Systems Processes?
IBM CP-40 Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect IBM CP-40 risks and change contexts.
– In a project to restructure Linux on z Systems outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Linux on z Systems?
IBM PC DOS Critical Criteria:
Illustrate IBM PC DOS goals and slay a dragon.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Linux on z Systems process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Linux on z Systems process available?
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Linux on z Systems process?
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Linux on z Systems with what users do day-to-day?
GM-NAA I/O Critical Criteria:
Focus on GM-NAA I/O planning and prioritize challenges of GM-NAA I/O.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Linux on z Systems processes?
– Does Linux on z Systems analysis show the relationships among important Linux on z Systems factors?
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server Critical Criteria:
Steer SUSE Linux Enterprise Server strategies and find answers.
– Think about the people you identified for your Linux on z Systems project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– How do we measure improved Linux on z Systems service perception, and satisfaction?
IBM z Systems Critical Criteria:
Extrapolate IBM z Systems adoptions and triple focus on important concepts of IBM z Systems relationship management.
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Linux on z Systems project manager?
– Are assumptions made in Linux on z Systems stated explicitly?
Linux gaming Critical Criteria:
Match Linux gaming tasks and forecast involvement of future Linux gaming projects in development.
– Does Linux on z Systems include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Linux on z Systems ?
Linux Gazette Critical Criteria:
Confer over Linux Gazette governance and transcribe Linux Gazette as tomorrows backbone for success.
– Which customers cant participate in our Linux on z Systems domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– What is the total cost related to deploying Linux on z Systems, including any consulting or professional services?
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Linux on z Systems?
VM/XA SF Critical Criteria:
Match VM/XA SF visions and forecast involvement of future VM/XA SF projects in development.
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Linux on z Systems leader?
– What are internal and external Linux on z Systems relations?
– How can you measure Linux on z Systems in a systematic way?
Think Blue Linux Critical Criteria:
Cut a stake in Think Blue Linux results and correct Think Blue Linux management by competencies.
– How do we maintain Linux on z Systemss Integrity?
OS/VS1 BPE Critical Criteria:
Scrutinze OS/VS1 BPE tactics and look at it backwards.
Kernel-based Virtual Machine Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Kernel-based Virtual Machine leadership and research ways can we become the Kernel-based Virtual Machine company that would put us out of business.
– Does Linux on z Systems create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– How to Secure Linux on z Systems?
Amdahl UTS Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate Amdahl UTS governance and devote time assessing Amdahl UTS and its risk.
– How do we Lead with Linux on z Systems in Mind?
SAP ERP Critical Criteria:
Systematize SAP ERP governance and improve SAP ERP service perception.
– Consider your own Linux on z Systems project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– What management system can we use to leverage the Linux on z Systems experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– How can skill-level changes improve Linux on z Systems?
– R/3 Enterprise or MySAP ERP ?
Network interface card Critical Criteria:
Read up on Network interface card risks and budget the knowledge transfer for any interested in Network interface card.
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Linux on z Systems agendas for the next 3 years?
– What about Linux on z Systems Analysis of results?
– Are we Assessing Linux on z Systems and Risk?
OpenSolaris for System z Critical Criteria:
Analyze OpenSolaris for System z projects and differentiate in coordinating OpenSolaris for System z.
– What will drive Linux on z Systems change?
Samba software Critical Criteria:
Inquire about Samba software governance and develop and take control of the Samba software initiative.
– Is there any existing Linux on z Systems governance structure?
Package format Critical Criteria:
Focus on Package format tactics and catalog Package format activities.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Linux on z Systems models, tools and techniques are necessary?
GNU General Public License Critical Criteria:
Use past GNU General Public License management and revise understanding of GNU General Public License architectures.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Linux on z Systems strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– How do we Identify specific Linux on z Systems investment and emerging trends?
– How would one define Linux on z Systems leadership?
Linux Format Critical Criteria:
Differentiate Linux Format leadership and report on setting up Linux Format without losing ground.
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Linux on z Systems does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
GNU/Linux naming controversy Critical Criteria:
Match GNU/Linux naming controversy failures and check on ways to get started with GNU/Linux naming controversy.
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Linux on z Systems delivery for example is new software needed?
– What is Effective Linux on z Systems?
Linux Documentation Project Critical Criteria:
Interpolate Linux Documentation Project failures and overcome Linux Documentation Project skills and management ineffectiveness.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Linux on z Systems. How do we gain traction?
– Do those selected for the Linux on z Systems team have a good general understanding of what Linux on z Systems is all about?
– Can we do Linux on z Systems without complex (expensive) analysis?
Source code Critical Criteria:
See the value of Source code visions and finalize specific methods for Source code acceptance.
– Have the cis and the exact version or revision that constitutes a particular baseline (documents, source code, problem reports and change documents) been identified?
– How do your measurements capture actionable Linux on z Systems information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– How are unauthorized changes to source code prevented, detected, and corrected?
– Access Control To Program Source Code: Is access to program source code restricted?
– Does our organization need more Linux on z Systems education?
– How do we go about Comparing Linux on z Systems approaches/solutions?
IBM LinuxONE Critical Criteria:
Start IBM LinuxONE goals and oversee implementation of IBM LinuxONE.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Linux on z Systems workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– Does Linux on z Systems analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
Hercules emulator Critical Criteria:
Reconstruct Hercules emulator outcomes and change contexts.
– What are the Essentials of Internal Linux on z Systems Management?
VM/XA SP Critical Criteria:
Do a round table on VM/XA SP adoptions and integrate design thinking in VM/XA SP innovation.
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Linux on z Systems process?
Linux Foundation Critical Criteria:
Revitalize Linux Foundation failures and report on the economics of relationships managing Linux Foundation and constraints.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Linux on z Systems process?
– In what ways are Linux on z Systems vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– What are the long-term Linux on z Systems goals?
Hot swapping Critical Criteria:
Systematize Hot swapping risks and look in other fields.
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Linux on z Systems moving forward?
Linux startup process Critical Criteria:
Chart Linux startup process visions and pioneer acquisition of Linux startup process systems.
– What are the usability implications of Linux on z Systems actions?
ORVYL and WYLBUR Critical Criteria:
Chat re ORVYL and WYLBUR tasks and probe using an integrated framework to make sure ORVYL and WYLBUR is getting what it needs.
– Who will provide the final approval of Linux on z Systems deliverables?
IBM 7090/94 IBSYS Critical Criteria:
Meet over IBM 7090/94 IBSYS risks and find the essential reading for IBM 7090/94 IBSYS researchers.
Information Management System Critical Criteria:
Participate in Information Management System strategies and observe effective Information Management System.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Linux on z Systems processes?
– What is the source of the strategies for Linux on z Systems strengthening and reform?
– Have all basic functions of Linux on z Systems been defined?
Ubuntu Linux Critical Criteria:
Pilot Ubuntu Linux tasks and find answers.
– Is there a Linux on z Systems Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
Free software Critical Criteria:
Check Free software risks and overcome Free software skills and management ineffectiveness.
– Is maximizing Linux on z Systems protection the same as minimizing Linux on z Systems loss?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Linux on z Systems?
– Is Linux on z Systems Required?
Channel I/O Critical Criteria:
Chat re Channel I/O failures and define Channel I/O competency-based leadership.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Linux on z Systems? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– Do we monitor the Linux on z Systems decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
Linus’s Law Critical Criteria:
Experiment with Linus’s Law results and don’t overlook the obvious.
– Is Linux on z Systems Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
– What are the business goals Linux on z Systems is aiming to achieve?
Linux kernel Critical Criteria:
Align Linux kernel quality and overcome Linux kernel skills and management ineffectiveness.
– Will Linux on z Systems deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
IBM DPPX Critical Criteria:
Sort IBM DPPX tactics and perfect IBM DPPX conflict management.
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Linux on z Systems? There might be some that are less obvious?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Linux on z Systems requirements in detail?
Linux Counter Critical Criteria:
Read up on Linux Counter adoptions and report on setting up Linux Counter without losing ground.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Linux on z Systems project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– What are our best practices for minimizing Linux on z Systems project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Linux on z Systems project lifecycle?
Operating system Critical Criteria:
Adapt Operating system risks and spearhead techniques for implementing Operating system.
– If the firewall runs on an individual host for which all users are not trusted system administrators, how vulnerable is it to tampering by a user logged into the operating system running on the protected hosts?
– In a virtualized data center, guest operating system kernels were modified to eliminate the need for binary translation. which compute virtualization technique was used?
– What should an organization consider before migrating its applications and operating system to the public cloud to prevent vendor lock-in?
– What operating systems are used for student computers, devices, laptops, etc.?
– What business benefits will Linux on z Systems goals deliver if achieved?
– What operating system does your computer use?
– Is unauthorized access to operating systems prevented?
Linux Mark Institute Critical Criteria:
Check Linux Mark Institute leadership and learn.
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding Linux on z Systems?
Cross compiler Critical Criteria:
Confer over Cross compiler quality and intervene in Cross compiler processes and leadership.
Linux on embedded systems Critical Criteria:
Guide Linux on embedded systems decisions and test out new things.
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Linux on z Systems strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Linux on z Systems is underway?
Full virtualization Critical Criteria:
Probe Full virtualization goals and describe which business rules are needed as Full virtualization interface.
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of Linux on z Systems?
Integrated Facility for Linux Critical Criteria:
Align Integrated Facility for Linux results and integrate design thinking in Integrated Facility for Linux innovation.
– What is our Linux on z Systems Strategy?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Linux on z Systems Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
IBM 4690 OS External links:
IBM 4690 OS Programming Guide Version 4 Release 1 …
Open Object Rexx / Patches / #93 Support IBM 4690 OS FTP
GNU Compiler Collection External links:
GNU Compiler Collection – UFRC – University of Florida
GNU Compiler Collection – Official Site
GNU Compiler Collection – Rosetta Code
DOS/360 and successors External links:
DOS/360 and Successors | DOS 360 Successors
DOS/360 and successors – 21pw.com
Concurrent Versions System External links:
Concurrent Versions System (CVS)? Webopedia Definition
CVS–Concurrent Versions System – annotate
CVS–Concurrent Versions System – Branching and merging
Digital media External links:
Examples of digital media types include: Windows Media Audio (WMA), Windows Media Video (WMV), MP3, JPEG, and AVI.
VisionMix Digital Media
Encompass Digital Media: Your Video Content Delivered
IBM CP-40 External links:
IBM CP-40 – Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
IBM PC DOS External links:
IBM PC DOS – Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
IBM PC DOS Version 7
Ibm Pc Dos Handbook – guijinshu.store
GM-NAA I/O External links:
GM-NAA I/O – Free definitions by Babylon
GM-NAA I/O – Free definition results from over 1700 online dictionaries
GM-NAA I/O – definition – English – glosbe.com
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server External links:
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server VM (SLES 12)
Free Download – SUSE Linux Enterprise Server | SUSE
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP3 Full Support statement
IBM z Systems External links:
IBM News room – IBM z Systems – United States
[PDF]IBM z Systems Ebook – Mainframe Insights
Oracle on IBM z Systems (eBook, 2017) [WorldCat.org]
Linux gaming External links:
Linux Gaming – Google+
Linux Gaming – David Pettifor – Hobby
Linux Game Cast | Linux gaming news, reviews, capture …
Linux Gazette External links:
Linux Gazette – Home | Facebook
Linux Gazette : Authors : Robin Rowe
The Linux Gazette 35: The Answer Guy – …
Think Blue Linux External links:
Linux Today – New distribution : Think Blue Linux
Think Blue Linux – muncharoo.com
www.muncharoo.com/topic/Think Blue Linux&item_type=topic
Kernel-based Virtual Machine External links:
Kernel-Based Virtual Machine – go4hosting.in
Kernel-based Virtual Machine – Official Site
KVM Home Page – Kernel-based Virtual Machine
Amdahl UTS External links:
Network interface card External links:
Network Interface Card (NIC) Teaming – technet.microsoft.com
OpenSolaris for System z External links:
OpenSolaris for System z – iSnare Free Encyclopedia
OpenSolaris for System z – Revolvy
topics.revolvy.com/topic/OpenSolaris for System z
OpenSolaris for System z – Sine Nomine
Package format External links:
RAGE Package Format – Just Solve the File Format Problem
GNU General Public License External links:
GNU General Public License – PigaLore
Linux Format External links:
[PDF]Linux Format Raspberry Pi The Complete Guide Ebook | …
Linux Format – media
Linux Format – Home | Facebook
GNU/Linux naming controversy External links:
GNU/Linux naming controversy – Infogalactic: the …
Linux Documentation Project External links:
Mirrors – The Linux Documentation Project
Linux Documentation Project Copyright
The Linux Documentation Project
Source code External links:
Buy Apps & Games Source Code iOS / Android – Sell My App
Software and Source Code Escrow Services | EscrowTech
Federal Source Code Policy | Introduction
IBM LinuxONE External links:
IBM LinuxONE | IBM
IBM LinuxONE Reviews and Pricing in 2017 | IT Central Station
IBM LinuxONE Pricing | G2 Crowd
Hercules emulator External links:
The Hercules Emulator Store : The Hercules Emulator Store
Hercules Emulator – CBT Tape Home Page – MVS Freeware
VM/XA SP External links:
Semantic Scholar extracted view of “Modeling Features of VM/XA SP: An Overview” by Javier Munoz et al.
University of Kentucky – Updates for VM/XA SP CMS 5.5
THANKS FOR NOTHING: VM/XA SP 1 AT LAST – Computer …
University of Kentucky – Updates for VM/XA SP CMS 5.5
Linux Foundation External links:
ApacheCon North America – Linux Foundation
Linux Foundation – Official Site
Projects – The Linux Foundation
Hot swapping External links:
Hot Swapping a Hard Drive in a Rack – YouTube
How to: Enable Hot Swapping of Assemblies [AX 2012]
Linux startup process External links:
The Linux Startup Process | File System | Booting
IBM 7090/94 IBSYS External links:
IBM 7090/94 IBSYS images, pictures, videos & interesting …
Information Management System External links:
electronic Child Care Information Management System – …
Log in – Utility Permit Information Management System
AIMS – Aging Information Management System
Ubuntu Linux External links:
Ubuntu linux 1 Flashcards | Quizlet
How To Install Ubuntu Linux On Windows 10 – Lifewire
Install Ubuntu Linux on VirtualBox in Windows 7 – YouTube
Free software External links:
NCH Software – Free Software Downloads and Installs
Channel I/O External links:
G4PB24 – G4 24-channel I/O Module Rack
Linus’s Law External links:
Linus’s Law – Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
Linux kernel External links:
2-Year-Old Linux Kernel Issue Resurfaces As High-Risk Flaw
Pantech UML295 Linux kernel support | Verizon Community
Linux Kernel Newbies – Linux Kernel Newbies
Linux Counter External links:
Linux Counter – Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
Operating system External links:
Which Windows operating system am I running? – …
KAR Management Operating System (MOS) – Login
Operating System and Browser warning
Linux Mark Institute External links:
The Linux Mark | The Linux Mark Institute
Full virtualization External links:
[PDF]Guide to security for full virtualization technologies
VPS.AG – High Performance full virtualization KVM VPS
Which Is Better Para or Full Virtualization? – Quora