What is involved in IT Service Desk
Find out what the related areas are that IT Service Desk connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a IT Service Desk thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its IT Service Desk journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward IT Service Desk leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which IT Service Desk related domains to cover and 151 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
IT Service Desk, IT service management, Axios Systems, Business Process Framework, Business process, Capability Maturity Model Integration, Configuration management database, Continual improvement process, Functional requirement, ISO/IEC 20000, ISO/IEC 27000, ISO 9000, IT Service Management Forum, Information Technology Infrastructure Library, Information security management, Information technology, Marval Software, Microsoft Operations Framework, Network and Service Management Taxonomy, Network management, Quality management, Service desk, Software engineering, Systems management, United Kingdom, Workflow management system:
IT Service Desk Critical Criteria:
Grasp IT Service Desk planning and acquire concise IT Service Desk education.
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its IT Service Desk processes?
– Is Supporting IT Service Desk documentation required?
– What will drive IT Service Desk change?
IT service management Critical Criteria:
Probe IT service management leadership and learn.
– How do we provide the context for investment considerations (which services does an investment affect, and how does that fit with the business strategy and priorities?
– While you can hire consultants to help alleviate the resource crunch for the project, who gets to run them after the consultants leave?
– Are we getting a handle on project initiation-related risks, which is all about are we doing the right things?
– In your organization, which group oversees/coordinates your IT service management capabilities?
– What does each software asset cost now and throughout the upgrade or refresh cycles?
– Can the cloud service provider make available an endto-end continuity plan?
– Do changes in business processes fall under the scope of Change Management?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a IT Service Desk study?
– Are you managing incidents primarily through emails and phone calls?
– How successful have you been to date with your itsm initiative?
– Are you currently engaged in an it Service Management project?
– What best practices are relevant to your itsm initiative?
– Do you have a growing list of overdue incidents?
– How will changes affect the customers services?
– What are reasons to say no to cloud computing?
– What does a disaster recovery plan look like?
– Will we be eligible for ISO/IEC 20000 certification?
– What do you see as your major ITSM challenge?
– What is it Service Management?
– What is Service Management?
Axios Systems Critical Criteria:
Set goals for Axios Systems issues and observe effective Axios Systems.
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations IT Service Desk values?
– Which IT Service Desk goals are the most important?
– How to deal with IT Service Desk Changes?
Business Process Framework Critical Criteria:
Be clear about Business Process Framework risks and interpret which customers can’t participate in Business Process Framework because they lack skills.
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a IT Service Desk project?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of IT Service Desk?
– What is Effective IT Service Desk?
Business process Critical Criteria:
Own Business process adoptions and frame using storytelling to create more compelling Business process projects.
– Have senior executives clearly identified and explained concerns regarding Customer Service issues and other change drivers, and emphasized that major improvements are imperative?
– What is the importance of knowing the key performance indicators KPIs for a business process when trying to implement a business intelligence system?
– Are interruptions to business activities counteracted and critical business processes protected from the effects of major failures or disasters?
– Has business process Cybersecurity has been included in continuity of operations plans for areas such as customer data, billing, etc.?
– What are the disruptive IT Service Desk technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– What finance, procurement and Human Resources business processes should be included in the scope of a erp solution?
– Do the functional areas need business process integration (e.g., order entl. billing, or Customer Service)?
– To satisfy customers and stakeholders, which internal business process must we excel in?
– How do clients contact client services with any questions about business processes?
– What are the relationships with other business processes and are these necessary?
– To what extent does management recognize IT Service Desk as a tool to increase the results?
– How do you inventory and assess business processes as part of an ERP evaluation?
– What business process supports the entry and validation of the data?
– How do we improve business processes and how do we deliver on that?
– On what basis would you decide to redesign a business process?
– What/how are business processes defined?
– How can the value of IT Service Desk be defined?
Capability Maturity Model Integration Critical Criteria:
Shape Capability Maturity Model Integration engagements and budget for Capability Maturity Model Integration challenges.
– In a project to restructure IT Service Desk outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– Have you identified your IT Service Desk key performance indicators?
– Do we all define IT Service Desk in the same way?
Configuration management database Critical Criteria:
Deliberate Configuration management database projects and improve Configuration management database service perception.
– Monitoring tools for wired networks do not provide the full array of features necessary for monitoring wlans. true or false?
– Which cloud Service Management process maintains information in the Configuration Management database (cmdb)?
– Which processes other than incident management are involved in achieving a structural solution ?
– What would you like the cmdb to do for you -how would they like it to change your life?
– In availability management terms, what do the letters cia stand for?
– A network segment is a superset of a larger network. true or false?
– If the change does involve a usq, has it been approved by doe?
– Are the relationships between configuration items established?
– What types of status accounting reports are to be generated?
– What is the difference between a problem and a known error?
– What are valid performance indicators for the service desk?
– Why implement a Configuration Management database (cmdb)?
– Definition: what is software Configuration Management?
– Interdisciplinary review of proposed change complete?
– Motivation: why software Configuration Management?
– Is a usq review required for the proposed change?
– How is mobile wimax different from fixed wimax?
– What goes under version control?
– Implemented as proposed?
– Why a service desk?
Continual improvement process Critical Criteria:
Interpolate Continual improvement process decisions and track iterative Continual improvement process results.
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a IT Service Desk strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the IT Service Desk process?
– What threat is IT Service Desk addressing?
Functional requirement Critical Criteria:
Unify Functional requirement management and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive Functional requirement decisions.
– Many teams will find that informal modeling sessions around whiteboards will be sufficient, although sometimes more formal modeling sessions, such as Joint Application Design (JAD) strategies or stakeholder interviews will work best. How will nonfunctional requirements pertaining to availability, security, performance, and many other factors be addressed?
– How will nonfunctional requirements pertaining to availability, security, performance, and many other factors be addressed?
– Does the current environment support the business and functional requirements?
– What potential environmental factors impact the IT Service Desk effort?
– Does the current environment support the business and functional requirements?
– What are specific IT Service Desk Rules to follow?
ISO/IEC 20000 Critical Criteria:
Track ISO/IEC 20000 adoptions and shift your focus.
– Do IT Service Desk rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
– How do we go about Securing IT Service Desk?
ISO/IEC 27000 Critical Criteria:
Face ISO/IEC 27000 tactics and observe effective ISO/IEC 27000.
– How will you measure your IT Service Desk effectiveness?
– Is a IT Service Desk Team Work effort in place?
ISO 9000 Critical Criteria:
Add value to ISO 9000 tactics and find the essential reading for ISO 9000 researchers.
– What process management and improvement tools are we using PDSA/PDCA, ISO 9000, Lean, Balanced Scorecard, Six Sigma, something else?
– How can you negotiate IT Service Desk successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– Do not ISO 9000 and CMM certifications loose their meaning when applied to the software industry?
– Is there a IT Service Desk Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with IT Service Desk ?
IT Service Management Forum Critical Criteria:
Think carefully about IT Service Management Forum engagements and develop and take control of the IT Service Management Forum initiative.
– How do your measurements capture actionable IT Service Desk information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your IT Service Desk processes?
– Do those selected for the IT Service Desk team have a good general understanding of what IT Service Desk is all about?
Information Technology Infrastructure Library Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Information Technology Infrastructure Library planning and look at it backwards.
– What are our IT Service Desk Processes?
– How to Secure IT Service Desk?
Information security management Critical Criteria:
Sort Information security management planning and correct Information security management management by competencies.
– Has the organization established an Identity and Access Management program that is consistent with requirements, policy, and applicable guidelines and which identifies users and network devices?
– Has the organization established an enterprise-wide business continuity/disaster recovery program that is consistent with requirements, policy, and applicable guidelines?
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once IT Service Desk is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– Which customers cant participate in our IT Service Desk domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– Can we do IT Service Desk without complex (expensive) analysis?
– Is there a business continuity/disaster recovery plan in place?
– Are damage assessment and disaster recovery plans in place?
Information technology Critical Criteria:
Confer re Information technology leadership and test out new things.
– Consider your own IT Service Desk project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– Do the response plans address damage assessment, site restoration, payroll, Human Resources, information technology, and administrative support?
– Does your company have defined information technology risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported to management on a regular basis?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– How do we ensure that implementations of IT Service Desk products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– How does new information technology come to be applied and diffused among firms?
– The difference between data/information and information technology (it)?
– When do you ask for help from Information Technology (IT)?
Marval Software Critical Criteria:
Paraphrase Marval Software governance and tour deciding if Marval Software progress is made.
– What are our best practices for minimizing IT Service Desk project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the IT Service Desk project lifecycle?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of IT Service Desk that make it risky?
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as IT Service Desk leaders?
Microsoft Operations Framework Critical Criteria:
Collaborate on Microsoft Operations Framework strategies and look for lots of ideas.
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our IT Service Desk agendas for the next 3 years?
– How do we Lead with IT Service Desk in Mind?
Network and Service Management Taxonomy Critical Criteria:
Communicate about Network and Service Management Taxonomy leadership and get answers.
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to IT Service Desk?
– What are the short and long-term IT Service Desk goals?
Network management Critical Criteria:
Tête-à-tête about Network management issues and handle a jump-start course to Network management.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a IT Service Desk process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the IT Service Desk process available?
– How do you determine the key elements that affect IT Service Desk workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these IT Service Desk processes?
Quality management Critical Criteria:
Discourse Quality management issues and transcribe Quality management as tomorrows backbone for success.
– what is the best design framework for IT Service Desk organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– What is our formula for success in IT Service Desk ?
– What is the future of Data Quality management?
– Quality management -are clients satisfied?
Service desk Critical Criteria:
Meet over Service desk management and look at it backwards.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your IT Service Desk project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– Will we be eligible for ISOIEC 20000 certification, even if our Service Desk, infrastructure management and applications management functions are located in different countries?
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting IT Service Desk with what users do day-to-day?
– How does mobility improve your organizations service desk effectiveness?
– Is the cloud service providers service desk local, onshore or offshore?
– Does the service provider have a service desk function based on ITIL principles?
– How does mobility improve your organizations service desk effectiveness?
– Is the cloud service providers service desk local, onshore or offshore?
– How does mobility improve our organizations service desk effectiveness?
– Are You Running Your Service Desk or is Your Service Desk Running You?
– Which incidents should be logged by the service desk?
– What are the long-term IT Service Desk goals?
Software engineering Critical Criteria:
Grasp Software engineering engagements and differentiate in coordinating Software engineering.
– DevOps isnt really a product. Its not something you can buy. DevOps is fundamentally about culture and about the quality of your application. And by quality I mean the specific software engineering term of quality, of different quality attributes. What matters to you?
– Can we answer questions like: Was the software process followed and software engineering standards been properly applied?
– Is open source software development faster, better, and cheaper than software engineering?
– What are all of our IT Service Desk domains and what do they do?
– Better, and cheaper than software engineering?
Systems management Critical Criteria:
Grade Systems management strategies and raise human resource and employment practices for Systems management.
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate IT Service Desk delivery for example is new software needed?
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good IT Service Desk project manager?
United Kingdom Critical Criteria:
X-ray United Kingdom decisions and develop and take control of the United Kingdom initiative.
– What management system can we use to leverage the IT Service Desk experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– What is the source of the strategies for IT Service Desk strengthening and reform?
Workflow management system Critical Criteria:
X-ray Workflow management system failures and be persistent.
– What are the Essentials of Internal IT Service Desk Management?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the IT Service Desk Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
IT Service Desk External links:
IT Service Desk | Information Technology
Home | IT Service Desk
NIH IT Service Desk – Request for Service
IT service management External links:
Masters in IT Service Management | JJR Solutions, LLC
ITSM | IT Service Management | ServiceNow
ITSM – IT Service Management | Atlassian
Axios Systems External links:
Axios Systems – YouTube
Axios Systems | Crunchbase
Axios Systems assyst Reviews | G2 Crowd
Business Process Framework External links:
eTOM Business Process Framework – Interfacing
[PDF]Siebel Business Process Framework: Workflow Guide
Business Process Framework (eTOM) The Business Process Framework is an operating model framework for telecom service providers in the telecommunications industry. The model describes the required business processes of service providers, and defines key elements and how they should interact.
Business process External links:
What Is a Business Process? (with picture) – wiseGEEK
Business Process Outsourcing | BPO | DATAMARK, Inc.
Infosys BPM – Business Process Management | BPM …
Capability Maturity Model Integration External links:
[PDF]Capability Maturity Model Integration (CMMI) Overview
Configuration management database External links:
ITIL Configuration Management Database | CMDB …
Continual improvement process External links:
Continual Improvement Process (CIP) – Rudolph
Functional requirement External links:
[PDF]Functional Requirements Document – University of …
What is functional and non functional requirement?
ISO/IEC 20000 External links:
ISO/IEC 20000 IT Service Management | BSI America
ISO/IEC 20000 is the first international standard for IT service management. It was developed in 2005, by ISO/IEC JTC1/SC7 and revised in 2011. It is based on and intended to supersede the earlier BS 15000 that was developed by BSI Group.
ISO/IEC 27000 External links:
ISO/IEC 27000-series Flashcards | Quizlet
ISO/IEC 27000:2016 is FREE at last! – Google Groups
ISO 9000 External links:
List of Accredited Registrars, ISO 9000, ISO 14000, …
List of ISO 9000 Registered Companies – 9000 Store
What is ISO 9000? – Definition from WhatIs.com
IT Service Management Forum External links:
IT Service Management Forum Annual New Zealand …
Information Technology Infrastructure Library External links:
Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL)
Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) …
ITIL – The Information Technology Infrastructure Library
Information security management External links:
[PDF]Federal Information Security Management Act …
Information Security Management – Home2
CCISO Information Security Management Training …
Information technology External links:
Umail | University Information Technology Services
Student Email | Information Technology
Rebelmail | UNLV Office of Information Technology (OIT)
Marval Software External links:
Marval Software · GitHub
Marval Software – Home | Facebook
About Marval Software – A Warm Welcome to Marval | Marval
Microsoft Operations Framework External links:
Appendix A – Microsoft Operations Framework
Microsoft Operations Framework 4.0
Microsoft Operations Framework
Network and Service Management Taxonomy External links:
Network and service management taxonomy – Revolvy
www.revolvy.com/topic/Network and service management taxonomy
Network and Service Management Taxonomy – Simpleweb
Network management External links:
ASUS Router App – Easy Network Management in Hand
Download Free Network Management & Free Network …
[PDF]Network Management Card User’s Guide
Quality management External links:
[PDF]Auditing Process-based Quality Management …
Total Quality Management (TQM): What is TQM? | ASQ
abaqis® | Quality Management System
Service desk External links:
NIH IT Service Desk
CWU Service Desk | E-mail and Outlook Support
Service Desk Home – fmPilot
Software engineering External links:
Software Engineering – Texas Board of Professional …
Software Engineering Services
Software Engineering | University of Wisconsin-Platteville
Systems management External links:
– Operation Processes and Systems Management …
Geographic Information Systems Management Office – …
United Kingdom External links:
Trivelles Hotels | Affordable Rooms | United Kingdom
Holidays and observances in United Kingdom in 2018
Whisky Subscription | WHISKY-ME | United Kingdom
Workflow management system External links:
Workflow Management System | Issuetrak
WorkflowGenerator – Pegasus Workflow Management System
:: MDFlow :: – EMR and Patient Care Workflow Management System