If the Service Desk analyst requires assistance from other groups due to an inability to resolve the incident or because of specialized circumstances (e.g. VIP user), escalation will be utilized to transfer the incident to the appropriate party or group. Rules for escalation should be defined when implementing Incident Management and agreed upon by all involved groups and stakeholders.
The two forms of escalation that are typically used are functional (horizontal) and hierarchical (vertical) escalation. Escalations can also be combined.
* Based on knowledge or expertise
* Also known as “Horizontal Escalation”, through level 1, 2, and 3 support.
* For corrective actions by authorized line management
* Also known as “Vertical Escalation”
* When resolution of an incident will not be in time or satisfactory.