An overall, integrated approach should be adopted for the design activities, covering five major aspects of Service Design:
- Service Portfolio: Service Management systems and tools, especially the Service Portfolio for the management and control of services through their lifecycle.
- Service Solutions: including documentation of all of the functional requirements, performance criteria, and other resources and capabilities needed and agreed.
- Technology architectures: Technology architectures and management architectures and tools required to provide the service.
- Processes: Processes needed to design, transition, operate and improve the service.
- Measurement systems: Measurement systems, methods and metrics for the services, the architectures and their constituent components and the processes.
The key aspect in the design of new or changed services is to meet changing business needs. Every time a new service solution is produced, it needs to be checked against each of the other aspects to ensure that it will integrate and interface with all of the other services in existence.