Content refers to any type or ‘unit’ of digital information which can be a text, images, graphics, video, sound, documents, records etc or anything that is managed in an electronic format.
ECM is a set of technologies designed to capture, store, preserve and deliver content and documents, the content of which are business processes related. It uses tools and strategies to facilitate the efficient and effective production in the management of content.
The Web Content Management is an application under the ECM Manage component. The information presented on the Internet and Extranet or on a portal is the data that company has already presented, and the delivery of content is controlled by access authorization and storage. Web Content Management is a content management system (CMS) software, that is used to implement Web application, for creating and managing HTML content. Its function is:
1. Create new or edit existing information in a controlled generation and publishing process
2. Deliver and administer information as web presentation
3. Convert automatically display formats, personalized display and versions
4. Secure the separation of public and non-public access on information
5. Visualize for internet presentation using browser, HTML, XML, etc.
Some ECM software products content provide the following features:
1. It manages the whole content lifecycle, from creation to publication to retention.
2. It quickly locates content out-of-the-box or through integrated applications.
3. It uses simple and advanced search interfaces.
4. It uses dedicated search templates, thereby increasing employee’s efficiency.
5. It maintains complete content of audit trails
6. It secures, encrypt and compress content.