What is involved in Network monitoring
Find out what the related areas are that Network monitoring connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Network monitoring thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Network monitoring journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Network monitoring leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Network monitoring related domains to cover and 117 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Network monitoring, Business service management, Check MK, Comparison of network monitoring systems, Computer and network surveillance, Computer network, Computer networks, Domain name system, End-to-end delay, File Transfer Protocol, High availability, HyperText Transfer Protocol, Internet Control Message Protocol, Internet Message Access Protocol, Intrusion detection system, Morpheus Data, Network Monitoring Interface Card, Network administrator, Network management, Network tap, Network tomography, Network traffic measurement, Post Office Protocol, Response time, Round-trip delay time, Route analytics, Secure Shell, Secure Sockets Layer, Session Initiation Protocol, Short Message Service, Simple Mail Transfer Protocol, Simple Network Management Protocol, System monitor, Transmission Control Protocol, User Datagram Protocol, Viavi Solutions, Vigilo NMS, Web server, Website monitoring, what isUp Gold:
Network monitoring Critical Criteria:
Look at Network monitoring planning and check on ways to get started with Network monitoring.
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Network monitoring project?
– To what extent does management recognize Network monitoring as a tool to increase the results?
Business service management Critical Criteria:
Discourse Business service management goals and optimize Business service management leadership as a key to advancement.
– How will you know that the Network monitoring project has been successful?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Network monitoring effort?
– How do we Improve Network monitoring service perception, and satisfaction?
Check MK Critical Criteria:
Revitalize Check MK issues and handle a jump-start course to Check MK.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Network monitoring workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Network monitoring process?
– How likely is the current Network monitoring plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
Comparison of network monitoring systems Critical Criteria:
Study Comparison of network monitoring systems adoptions and track iterative Comparison of network monitoring systems results.
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Network monitoring?
– How can you measure Network monitoring in a systematic way?
Computer and network surveillance Critical Criteria:
Set goals for Computer and network surveillance governance and achieve a single Computer and network surveillance view and bringing data together.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Network monitoring process?
– Is Network monitoring Required?
Computer network Critical Criteria:
Align Computer network quality and raise human resource and employment practices for Computer network.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Network monitoring strengthening and reform actually originate?
– Is maximizing Network monitoring protection the same as minimizing Network monitoring loss?
– Is the illegal entry into a private computer network a crime in your country?
– Think of your Network monitoring project. what are the main functions?
Computer networks Critical Criteria:
Wrangle Computer networks engagements and finalize the present value of growth of Computer networks.
– What are our needs in relation to Network monitoring skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
Domain name system Critical Criteria:
Confer over Domain name system planning and optimize Domain name system leadership as a key to advancement.
– Which customers cant participate in our Network monitoring domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– What are the usability implications of Network monitoring actions?
– How do we Lead with Network monitoring in Mind?
End-to-end delay Critical Criteria:
Sort End-to-end delay engagements and secure End-to-end delay creativity.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Network monitoring services/products?
– What is the total cost related to deploying Network monitoring, including any consulting or professional services?
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Network monitoring values?
File Transfer Protocol Critical Criteria:
Read up on File Transfer Protocol visions and differentiate in coordinating File Transfer Protocol.
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Network monitoring leaders?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of Network monitoring?
High availability Critical Criteria:
Learn from High availability outcomes and explain and analyze the challenges of High availability.
– What are some of our practices for having application consistent snapshots across multiple persistent storage systems for disaster recovery and or high availability purposes?
– Should the deployment occur in high availability mode or should we configure in bypass mode?
– How do mission and objectives affect the Network monitoring processes of our organization?
– When a Network monitoring manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
– How can sdn be applied in the context of disaster recovery and high availability?
– Are our applications designed for high availability and disaster recovery?
– Is the application designed for high availability and disaster recovery?
– Have all basic functions of Network monitoring been defined?
HyperText Transfer Protocol Critical Criteria:
Unify HyperText Transfer Protocol tasks and proactively manage HyperText Transfer Protocol risks.
– How do we ensure that implementations of Network monitoring products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Network monitoring goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– Are accountability and ownership for Network monitoring clearly defined?
Internet Control Message Protocol Critical Criteria:
Look at Internet Control Message Protocol outcomes and pay attention to the small things.
– What are our best practices for minimizing Network monitoring project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Network monitoring project lifecycle?
– Can we do Network monitoring without complex (expensive) analysis?
– Does the Network monitoring task fit the clients priorities?
Internet Message Access Protocol Critical Criteria:
Be clear about Internet Message Access Protocol governance and budget for Internet Message Access Protocol challenges.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Network monitoring product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– What is the source of the strategies for Network monitoring strengthening and reform?
Intrusion detection system Critical Criteria:
Study Intrusion detection system projects and prioritize challenges of Intrusion detection system.
– Can intrusion detection systems be configured to ignore activity that is generated by authorized scanner operation?
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Network monitoring moving forward?
– What is a limitation of a server-based intrusion detection system (ids)?
Morpheus Data Critical Criteria:
Use past Morpheus Data adoptions and look at the big picture.
– How do we Identify specific Network monitoring investment and emerging trends?
– Will Network monitoring deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
– What is Effective Network monitoring?
Network Monitoring Interface Card Critical Criteria:
Face Network Monitoring Interface Card adoptions and point out Network Monitoring Interface Card tensions in leadership.
– What is our formula for success in Network monitoring ?
Network administrator Critical Criteria:
Design Network administrator visions and define Network administrator competency-based leadership.
– You work as a network administrator for mcrobert inc. the company has a tcp/ip-based network. which of the following information should be documented to facilitate disaster recovery?
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Network monitoring process?
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Network monitoring with what users do day-to-day?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Network monitoring?
Network management Critical Criteria:
Audit Network management failures and maintain Network management for success.
– Consider your own Network monitoring project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– What are the disruptive Network monitoring technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– What business benefits will Network monitoring goals deliver if achieved?
Network tap Critical Criteria:
Weigh in on Network tap issues and learn.
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Network monitoring study?
– How much does Network monitoring help?
Network tomography Critical Criteria:
Prioritize Network tomography projects and assess and formulate effective operational and Network tomography strategies.
– What management system can we use to leverage the Network monitoring experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– Think about the functions involved in your Network monitoring project. what processes flow from these functions?
– Do we all define Network monitoring in the same way?
Network traffic measurement Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate Network traffic measurement decisions and correct Network traffic measurement management by competencies.
– Does Network monitoring include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– Is the Network monitoring organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
Post Office Protocol Critical Criteria:
Model after Post Office Protocol quality and work towards be a leading Post Office Protocol expert.
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Network monitoring project?
– What are the barriers to increased Network monitoring production?
Response time Critical Criteria:
Generalize Response time management and test out new things.
– Have we thought of cost, functionality,vendor support, vendor viability, quality of documentation, ease of learning, ease of use, ease of installation, response time, throughput, version?
– Does one expect an improvement in availability or response times that will result in increased user satisfaction?
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Network monitoring leader?
– Is Network monitoring dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
– What will drive Network monitoring change?
Round-trip delay time Critical Criteria:
Gauge Round-trip delay time projects and find out.
– Will Network monitoring have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Network monitoring processes?
– Why should we adopt a Network monitoring framework?
Route analytics Critical Criteria:
Wrangle Route analytics management and report on developing an effective Route analytics strategy.
– What are the Essentials of Internal Network monitoring Management?
– Are we Assessing Network monitoring and Risk?
Secure Shell Critical Criteria:
Boost Secure Shell issues and maintain Secure Shell for success.
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Network monitoring requirements in detail?
Secure Sockets Layer Critical Criteria:
Add value to Secure Sockets Layer planning and oversee Secure Sockets Layer requirements.
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Network monitoring activities?
Session Initiation Protocol Critical Criteria:
Trace Session Initiation Protocol management and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– Who needs to know about Network monitoring ?
Short Message Service Critical Criteria:
Map Short Message Service tasks and plan concise Short Message Service education.
Simple Mail Transfer Protocol Critical Criteria:
Adapt Simple Mail Transfer Protocol risks and gather Simple Mail Transfer Protocol models .
– What are the key elements of your Network monitoring performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
Simple Network Management Protocol Critical Criteria:
Gauge Simple Network Management Protocol strategies and define Simple Network Management Protocol competency-based leadership.
– Think about the people you identified for your Network monitoring project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Network monitoring objectives?
System monitor Critical Criteria:
Pay attention to System monitor strategies and drive action.
– In a project to restructure Network monitoring outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– What are the Key enablers to make this Network monitoring move?
Transmission Control Protocol Critical Criteria:
Deduce Transmission Control Protocol decisions and look for lots of ideas.
User Datagram Protocol Critical Criteria:
Mine User Datagram Protocol quality and diversify disclosure of information – dealing with confidential User Datagram Protocol information.
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Network monitoring strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Network monitoring delivery for example is new software needed?
Viavi Solutions Critical Criteria:
Transcribe Viavi Solutions issues and suggest using storytelling to create more compelling Viavi Solutions projects.
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Network monitoring project manager?
– What vendors make products that address the Network monitoring needs?
Vigilo NMS Critical Criteria:
Give examples of Vigilo NMS tasks and don’t overlook the obvious.
– How can you negotiate Network monitoring successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
Web server Critical Criteria:
Discuss Web server tasks and devote time assessing Web server and its risk.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Network monitoring is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– Are web servers located on a publicly reachable network segment separated from the internal network by a firewall (dmz)?
– Do we know what we have specified in continuity of operations plans and disaster recovery plans?
Website monitoring Critical Criteria:
Shape Website monitoring quality and innovate what needs to be done with Website monitoring.
– What are current Network monitoring Paradigms?
what isUp Gold Critical Criteria:
Add value to what isUp Gold tasks and spearhead techniques for implementing what isUp Gold.
– Do those selected for the Network monitoring team have a good general understanding of what Network monitoring is all about?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Network monitoring Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Network monitoring External links:
APCON Intelligent Network Monitoring
Network Monitoring Software, Network Monitoring | Statseeker
Business service management External links:
Login – HP Business Service Management
Comparison of network monitoring systems External links:
Comparison of network monitoring systems | Speedy …
Comparison of network monitoring systems – revolvy.com
www.revolvy.com/topic/Comparison of network monitoring systems
Computer network External links:
Computer network (eBook, 2009) [WorldCat.org]
What is a Computer Network? Webopedia Definition
15-1152.00 – Computer Network Support Specialists
Computer networks External links:
Computer networks (Book, 2011) [WorldCat.org]
Computer networks (Book, 2014) [WorldCat.org]
Domain name system External links:
Lync Server 2013: Domain Name System (DNS) requirements
FAQ: Understanding OpenDNS and the Domain Name System (DNS)
Domain Name System (DNS) | Microsoft Docs
End-to-end delay External links:
[PDF]End-to-End Delay Distribution Analysis for …
File Transfer Protocol External links:
File Transfer Protocol Application – Redirect
Secure File Transfer Protocol (SFTP)
High availability External links:
FlashGrid | Database High Availability Simplified
Deploy SQL Server for VMM high availability | Microsoft Docs
HyperText Transfer Protocol External links:
CiteSeerX — Hypertext Transfer Protocol — HTTP/1.1
HyperText Transfer Protocol – IETF Datatracker
Internet Control Message Protocol External links:
Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) Parameters
How to Block Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP): …
Internet Message Access Protocol External links:
IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol) – YouTube
Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP)
Internet Message Access Protocol, v.4 (IMAP4)
Intrusion detection system External links:
[PDF]Section 9. Intrusion Detection Systems – United …
Intrusion Detection Systems – CERIAS
[PDF]Intrusion Detection System Sensor Protection Profile
Network administrator External links:
Computer and Network Administrator Degree | Remington College
Manpower Group is Hiring Network Administrator – …
lasvegas.craigslist.org › jobs › systems/networking
CISCO Network Administrator (CCNA) Certificate
Network management External links:
What is Network Management? Webopedia Definition
Network Management Card (NMC) Password Reset …
Network tap External links:
How to Build a Passive Network Tap – YouTube
Network TAP Warranty Information – Garland Technology
Network TAP Distributors And Resellers | Garland Technology
Network tomography External links:
Network Tomography | Network Monitoring | NetBeez
Network traffic measurement External links:
Network Traffic Measurement and Analysis Conference …
Post Office Protocol External links:
What is POST OFFICE PROTOCOL (POP) – The Law Dictionary
Post Office Protocol
In computing, the Post Office Protocol (POP) is an application-layer Internet standard protocol used by local e-mail clients to retrieve e-mail from a remote server over a TCP/IP connection. POP has been developed through several versions, with version 3 (POP3) being the current standard.
Response time External links:
Bitcatcha – Speed Test Your Website Server (Response Time)
FEMS Response Time Metrics | fems
Round-trip delay time External links:
Secure Sockets Layer External links:
SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) – HE FAQ
What is SSL (Secure Sockets Layer)? – ssl2buy.com
SSL Certificate #1 Secure Sockets Layer Provider – Comodo SSL
Session Initiation Protocol External links:
CiteSeerX — Session Initiation Protocol and Services
Short Message Service External links:
Short Message Service (SMS) – Bandwidth
What is SMSC – Short Message Service Center? Webopedia
ERIC – Short Message Service (SMS) as an Educational …
Simple Mail Transfer Protocol External links:
Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) Relay – CDT Services
Simple Network Management Protocol External links:
(SNMP) simple network management protocol – 56592 – …
Simple Network Management Protocol – IETF Datatracker
Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)
System monitor External links:
How to create a log using System Monitor in Windows
Transmission Control Protocol External links:
The Transmission Control Protocol – DePaul University
Transmission Control Protocol (TCP)
User Datagram Protocol External links:
[PDF]UDP: The User Datagram Protocol – Undergraduate …
The User Datagram Protocol (UDP) – University of Aberdeen
Viavi Solutions External links:
Leadership | VIAVI Solutions Inc.
viavi solutions Jobs in Indiana | Monster.com
Viavi Solutions Inc. Common Stock (VIAV) Real-Time …
Vigilo NMS External links:
Convergence | Vigilo NMS
Web server External links:
ProjectWise Web Server
ProjectWise Web Server
Website monitoring External links:
Best Website Monitoring Services 2017 (FREE & PAID)
Website Monitoring and Performance Software | SolarWinds