What is involved in WAN Optimization
Find out what the related areas are that WAN Optimization connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a WAN Optimization thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its WAN Optimization journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward WAN Optimization leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which WAN Optimization related domains to cover and 117 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
WAN Optimization, Bandwidth management, Business Continuity, Data Center, Data migration, Data transfer, Disaster Recovery, Forward error correction, Gartner, HTTPS Proxy, Multicast, Proprietary software, Protocol spoofing, Server Message Block, Traffic shaping, Web cache, Web caching, Wide-area network, Wide area file services:
WAN Optimization Critical Criteria:
Have a session on WAN Optimization decisions and balance specific methods for improving WAN Optimization results.
– In the case of a WAN Optimization project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a WAN Optimization project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any WAN Optimization project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– Is there a WAN Optimization Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– What threat is WAN Optimization addressing?
Bandwidth management Critical Criteria:
Nurse Bandwidth management results and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Bandwidth management.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your WAN Optimization strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– What are your most important goals for the strategic WAN Optimization objectives?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of WAN Optimization?
Business Continuity Critical Criteria:
Match Business Continuity visions and pay attention to the small things.
– Who will be responsible for leading the various bcp teams (e.g., crisis/emergency, recovery, technology, communications, facilities, Human Resources, business units and processes, Customer Service)?
– Has specific responsibility been assigned for the execution of business continuity and disaster recovery plans (either within or outside of the information security function)?
– Has the organization established an enterprise-wide business continuity/disaster recovery program that is consistent with requirements, policy, and applicable guidelines?
– Do you have a written business continuity/disaster recovery plan that includes procedures to be followed in the event of a disruptive computer incident?
– Does our business continuity and/or disaster recovery plan (bcp/drp) address the timely recovery of its it functions in the event of a disaster?
– What programs/projects/departments/groups have some or all responsibility for business continuity/Risk Management/organizational resilience?
– Will WAN Optimization have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– Which data center management activity involves eliminating single points of failure to ensure business continuity?
– What is the total cost related to deploying WAN Optimization, including any consulting or professional services?
– How will management prepare employees for a disaster, reduce the overall risks, and shorten the recovery window?
– What is the role of digital document management in business continuity planning management?
– Does increasing our companys footprint add to the challenge of business continuity?
– What potential environmental factors impact the WAN Optimization effort?
– Is the crisis management team comprised of members from Human Resources?
– Is there a business continuity/disaster recovery plan in place?
– Has business continuity been considered for this eventuality?
– What is business continuity planning and why is it important?
– Do you have any DR/business continuity plans in place?
Data Center Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Data Center adoptions and point out Data Center tensions in leadership.
– Fog Computing is internet computing where the devices responsible for the computing surround us. Instead of having a data center where all of the processing and storage occurs, fog computing would allow us to bring the devices closer to us and these devices would be responsible for their own processing and storage. So how does this concept help us deal with the problems created by the IoT, and what benefits would this provide us that upgrading the cloud infrastructure couldnt?
– In a virtualized data center, guest operating system kernels were modified to eliminate the need for binary translation. which compute virtualization technique was used?
– what is the best design framework for WAN Optimization organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– An administrator of a virtualized data center is particularly concerned about nic failure. what should the administrator configure to address this concern?
– Determine if the data center has Service Level Agreements with the clients it serves. if so, do they measure themselves for compliance with the agreement?
– Do operating procedures require systems to undergo a security/vulnerability scan before being placed into production?
– Which report should an administrator use to know both historic and current utilization of storage in a data center?
– Do any countries force cloud based companies to house data within that countrys data centers?
– Should the dataset be deposited in a national, international or discipline-based data center?
– What is a benefit of automated site failover capability in a data center environment?
– What is the source of the strategies for WAN Optimization strengthening and reform?
– Is stuff in the cloud on the same legal footing as stuff in your data center?
– Is the priority of system restores documented in the disaster recovery plan?
– What is the best strategy going forward for data center disaster recovery?
– How many and where are located the providers data centers?
– Why should data center elements be monitored?
– Who needs to know about WAN Optimization ?
– How many data center sites do you have?
Data migration Critical Criteria:
Conceptualize Data migration quality and forecast involvement of future Data migration projects in development.
– The process of conducting a data migration involves access to both the legacy source and the target source. The target source must be configured according to requirements. If youre using a contractor and provided that the contractor is under strict confidentiality, do you permit the contractor to house copies of your source data during the implementation?
– Data migration does our organization have a resource (dba, etc) who understands your current database structure and who can extract data into a pre-defined file and format?
– With the traditional approach to data migration, delays due to specification changes are an expected (and accepted) part of most projects. does this sound familiar?
– Data migration are there any external users accounts existing and will these user accounts need to be migrated to the new lms?
– Does WAN Optimization appropriately measure and monitor risk?
– Are there data migration issues?
– How do we keep improving WAN Optimization?
– Is WAN Optimization Required?
Data transfer Critical Criteria:
Co-operate on Data transfer planning and find answers.
– The slower data transfer rate between a compute cluster and a storage array has been adversely impacting multiple cloud services. which Service Management process helps to mitigate this impact?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a WAN Optimization study?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your WAN Optimization activities?
– How can the value of WAN Optimization be defined?
Disaster Recovery Critical Criteria:
Start Disaster Recovery quality and achieve a single Disaster Recovery view and bringing data together.
– The goal of a disaster recovery plan is to minimize the costs resulting from losses of, or damages to, the resources or capabilities of your IT facilities. The success of any disaster recovery plan depends a great deal on being able to determine the risks associated with data loss. What is the impact to our business if the data is lost?
– Has your organization ever had to invoke its disaster recovery plan which included the CRM solution and if so was the recovery time objective met and how long did it take to return to your primary solution?
– Do our business continuity andor disaster recovery plan (bcp/drp) address the timely recovery of our it functions in the event of a disaster?
– Can the customer work with you to conduct separate disaster recovery tests in order to test/validate readiness?
– How do we ensure Complete audit trails are maintained during the recovery period?
– The actions taken to the restarts are appropriate and minimize down time?
– What are the fault tolerance, failover, and disaster recovery plans?
– How well do we document, keep up-to-date, and test our bc plans?
– What are the barriers to increased WAN Optimization production?
– What are the pros and cons of a cloud disaster recovery plan?
– Can you wait to reopen and still be viable when you do?
– Make decisions about staff in immediate future. layoff?
– When you host in the cloud do you still need backups?
– Happy running the business before the disaster?
– How do we assess how much damage has occurred?
– Condition of the business pre-disaster?
– Are businesses in the inundation zone?
– What is post-disaster recovery to us?
– What actions stop the drp?
– Are we any safer?
Forward error correction Critical Criteria:
Infer Forward error correction issues and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Forward error correction results.
– Think about the functions involved in your WAN Optimization project. what processes flow from these functions?
– How can you negotiate WAN Optimization successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– How much does WAN Optimization help?
Gartner Critical Criteria:
Communicate about Gartner decisions and diversify disclosure of information – dealing with confidential Gartner information.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect WAN Optimization workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these WAN Optimization processes?
– How do we go about Comparing WAN Optimization approaches/solutions?
HTTPS Proxy Critical Criteria:
Survey HTTPS Proxy governance and look for lots of ideas.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of WAN Optimization product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– What are the usability implications of WAN Optimization actions?
Multicast Critical Criteria:
Pay attention to Multicast planning and drive action.
– If a network is involved, what is its operational paradigm, that is, unicast (point-to-point network, such as Ethernet), multicast, or broadcast?
– Does WAN Optimization analysis show the relationships among important WAN Optimization factors?
– Why is WAN Optimization important for you now?
– What are specific WAN Optimization Rules to follow?
Proprietary software Critical Criteria:
Disseminate Proprietary software tactics and pioneer acquisition of Proprietary software systems.
– How important is WAN Optimization to the user organizations mission?
– What are our WAN Optimization Processes?
– How can we improve WAN Optimization?
Protocol spoofing Critical Criteria:
Air ideas re Protocol spoofing tasks and integrate design thinking in Protocol spoofing innovation.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent WAN Optimization services/products?
– Have the types of risks that may impact WAN Optimization been identified and analyzed?
Server Message Block Critical Criteria:
Face Server Message Block engagements and triple focus on important concepts of Server Message Block relationship management.
– In what ways are WAN Optimization vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– How do we go about Securing WAN Optimization?
Traffic shaping Critical Criteria:
Rank Traffic shaping governance and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Traffic shaping.
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations WAN Optimization values?
– What is our formula for success in WAN Optimization ?
Web cache Critical Criteria:
Brainstorm over Web cache issues and intervene in Web cache processes and leadership.
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether WAN Optimization goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
Web caching Critical Criteria:
Align Web caching issues and define what our big hairy audacious Web caching goal is.
– What vendors make products that address the WAN Optimization needs?
– How do we Lead with WAN Optimization in Mind?
Wide-area network Critical Criteria:
Huddle over Wide-area network planning and remodel and develop an effective Wide-area network strategy.
– Does our organization need more WAN Optimization education?
– How is the value delivered by WAN Optimization being measured?
– How can you measure WAN Optimization in a systematic way?
Wide area file services Critical Criteria:
Design Wide area file services risks and devote time assessing Wide area file services and its risk.
– What are the short and long-term WAN Optimization goals?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the WAN Optimization Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
WAN Optimization External links:
WAN Optimization – MACH5 | Symantec
News and Updates – WAN Optimization Companies | Viptela
Bandwidth management External links:
Bandwidth Management and Access Gateway AG 2500 | …
Bandwidth management is the process of measuring and controlling the communications (traffic, packets) on a network link, to avoid filling the link to capacity or overfilling the link, which would result in network congestion and poor performance of the network. Bandwidth management is measured in bits per second (bit/s) or bytes per second (B/s).
How to Configure Global Bandwidth Management (18.104.22.168 …
Business Continuity External links:
[DOC]Business Continuity Plan Template for – finra.org
Data Center External links:
Home – State of South Dakota K-12 Data Center
Members Site – State of South Dakota K-12 Data Center
ADE Data Center – Home
Data migration External links:
Download Intel® Data Migration Software
Data Migration Jobs – Apply Now | CareerBuilder
Data Migration Specialist Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
Data transfer External links:
[DOC]Data Transfer Agreement – Atlanta VA Medical Center
Easy & Safe Data Transfer Between Any Mobile Phones
IHS Secure Data Transfer Service
Disaster Recovery External links:
EnsureDR for Disaster Recovery
Cloud Migration and Disaster Recovery
SCDRO – South Carolina Disaster Recovery Office
Forward error correction External links:
Forward Error Correction
[PPT]Forward Error CORRECTION – Christopher Newport …
AHA Products Group – Forward Error Correction
Gartner External links:
Gartner Customer Service
Mobile Apps | Gartner Inc.
HTTPS Proxy External links:
Proxee – SOCKS5 & HTTPS proxy servers
Multicast External links:
Multicast UDP Streaming Using VLC – YouTube
Basic Multicast Troubleshooting Tools – Cisco
Proprietary software External links:
Proprietary Software and the Institutional Researcher. – …
Proprietary Software for Free | USC Spatial Sciences Institute
Proprietary Software Definition – LINFO
Server Message Block External links:
ARCHIVED: What is Server Message Block (SMB)?
What is Server Message Block (SMB)? Webopedia …
Server Message Block communication between a client …
Traffic shaping External links:
Traffic Shaping | A10 Networks
Traffic Shaping | Silver Peak
FortiGate Cookbook – Traffic Shaping (5.2) – YouTube
Web cache External links:
Web Cache | Untangle
Starting and Stopping OracleAS Web Cache – docs.oracle.com
Web caching External links:
Web Caching | Akamai
Microcache – Web caching solution – Home | Facebook
Impact of Web Caching – Catchpoint Systems
Wide area file services External links:
[PDF]Whitepaper: Wide Area File Services (WAFS): …
What is wide area file services? Webopedia Definition
Wide Area File Services (WAFS) | WAN Optimization …