What is involved in IBM i
Find out what the related areas are that IBM i connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a IBM i thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its IBM InfoSphere DataStage journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward IBM InfoSphere DataStage leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which IBM i related domains to cover and 118 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
IBM i, Apache web server, Auxiliary storage pool, Closed source, Control Program Facility, DOS/360 and successors, General availability release, IBM 4680 OS, IBM 4690 OS, IBM 7090/94 IBSYS, IBM 8100 DPCX, IBM AIX, IBM Academic Operating System, IBM Airline Control Program, IBM DB2, IBM DPPX, IBM PC DOS, IBM Power Systems, IBM System/34, 36 System Support Program, IBM System/36, IBM System/38, IBM System i, IBM Workplace OS, Linux on z Systems, Logical partition, Microsoft Windows, MySQL AB, OS/360 and successors, Operating system, Project Monterey, Project Trillian, Proprietary software, Single-level store, Software developer, Software license, Software release life cycle, Transaction Processing Facility, Virtual machine, WebSphere Application Server, Web application framework, Zend Technologies:
IBM i Critical Criteria:
Communicate about IBM i tactics and integrate design thinking in IBM i innovation.
– Consider your own IBM i project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with IBM i ?
– How do we measure improved IBM i service perception, and satisfaction?
Apache web server Critical Criteria:
Differentiate Apache web server failures and look in other fields.
– Do we know what we have specified in continuity of operations plans and disaster recovery plans?
– Does IBM i systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– What potential environmental factors impact the IBM i effort?
– What are the barriers to increased IBM i production?
Auxiliary storage pool Critical Criteria:
Give examples of Auxiliary storage pool failures and adopt an insight outlook.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your IBM i strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– Are assumptions made in IBM i stated explicitly?
– Which IBM i goals are the most important?
Closed source Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Closed source leadership and cater for concise Closed source education.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this IBM i process?
– Why should we adopt a IBM i framework?
– What are current IBM i Paradigms?
Control Program Facility Critical Criteria:
Face Control Program Facility planning and get out your magnifying glass.
– What is the total cost related to deploying IBM i, including any consulting or professional services?
– Is maximizing IBM i protection the same as minimizing IBM i loss?
– What are the short and long-term IBM i goals?
DOS/360 and successors Critical Criteria:
Distinguish DOS/360 and successors risks and report on setting up DOS/360 and successors without losing ground.
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving IBM i forward?
– How will you know that the IBM i project has been successful?
– What are the usability implications of IBM i actions?
General availability release Critical Criteria:
Have a session on General availability release management and find answers.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent IBM i services/products?
– What are the business goals IBM i is aiming to achieve?
IBM 4680 OS Critical Criteria:
Revitalize IBM 4680 OS tactics and overcome IBM 4680 OS skills and management ineffectiveness.
– What are the Essentials of Internal IBM i Management?
– Is the scope of IBM i defined?
IBM 4690 OS Critical Criteria:
Group IBM 4690 OS management and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive IBM 4690 OS decisions.
– Who will be responsible for documenting the IBM i requirements in detail?
– How can you measure IBM i in a systematic way?
– Why are IBM i skills important?
IBM 7090/94 IBSYS Critical Criteria:
Match IBM 7090/94 IBSYS projects and ask questions.
– When a IBM i manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as IBM i leaders?
– How can skill-level changes improve IBM i?
IBM 8100 DPCX Critical Criteria:
Weigh in on IBM 8100 DPCX adoptions and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive IBM 8100 DPCX projects.
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to IBM i?
– What are our needs in relation to IBM i skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– Why is IBM i important for you now?
IBM AIX Critical Criteria:
Judge IBM AIX risks and correct IBM AIX management by competencies.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once IBM i is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– What is our formula for success in IBM i ?
– Are there IBM i Models?
IBM Academic Operating System Critical Criteria:
Grade IBM Academic Operating System governance and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive IBM Academic Operating System decisions.
– Does IBM i create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– Does IBM i analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
IBM Airline Control Program Critical Criteria:
Wrangle IBM Airline Control Program tactics and assess and formulate effective operational and IBM Airline Control Program strategies.
– For your IBM i project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– How do we go about Securing IBM i?
IBM DB2 Critical Criteria:
Chat re IBM DB2 quality and summarize a clear IBM DB2 focus.
IBM DPPX Critical Criteria:
Scrutinze IBM DPPX projects and get going.
– How do we manage IBM i Knowledge Management (KM)?
– How do we maintain IBM is Integrity?
IBM PC DOS Critical Criteria:
Drive IBM PC DOS projects and attract IBM PC DOS skills.
– How can you negotiate IBM i successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– Will IBM i deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
IBM Power Systems Critical Criteria:
Gauge IBM Power Systems quality and assess and formulate effective operational and IBM Power Systems strategies.
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if IBM i does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– How do we go about Comparing IBM i approaches/solutions?
– How can we improve IBM i?
IBM System/34, 36 System Support Program Critical Criteria:
Investigate IBM System/34, 36 System Support Program leadership and diversify disclosure of information – dealing with confidential IBM System/34, 36 System Support Program information.
IBM System/36 Critical Criteria:
Have a session on IBM System/36 issues and finalize specific methods for IBM System/36 acceptance.
– What about IBM i Analysis of results?
– How to Secure IBM i?
IBM System/38 Critical Criteria:
Concentrate on IBM System/38 quality and adjust implementation of IBM System/38.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of IBM i into the services that we provide?
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a IBM i project?
– What vendors make products that address the IBM i needs?
IBM System i Critical Criteria:
Value IBM System i quality and probe using an integrated framework to make sure IBM System i is getting what it needs.
IBM Workplace OS Critical Criteria:
Substantiate IBM Workplace OS results and devise IBM Workplace OS key steps.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about IBM i. How do we gain traction?
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once IBM i is underway?
Linux on z Systems Critical Criteria:
Interpolate Linux on z Systems results and pioneer acquisition of Linux on z Systems systems.
– Think about the functions involved in your IBM i project. what processes flow from these functions?
– What is our IBM i Strategy?
– How much does IBM i help?
Logical partition Critical Criteria:
Guard Logical partition tactics and change contexts.
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective IBM i leader?
– What are all of our IBM i domains and what do they do?
– Does IBM i appropriately measure and monitor risk?
Microsoft Windows Critical Criteria:
Administer Microsoft Windows engagements and know what your objective is.
– What are the key elements of your IBM i performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
MySQL AB Critical Criteria:
Infer MySQL AB outcomes and catalog MySQL AB activities.
– what is the best design framework for IBM i organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
OS/360 and successors Critical Criteria:
Bootstrap OS/360 and successors outcomes and get the big picture.
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing IBM i? There might be some that are less obvious?
– Do we all define IBM i in the same way?
Operating system Critical Criteria:
Probe Operating system planning and arbitrate Operating system techniques that enhance teamwork and productivity.
– If the firewall runs on an individual host for which all users are not trusted system administrators, how vulnerable is it to tampering by a user logged into the operating system running on the protected hosts?
– In a virtualized data center, guest operating system kernels were modified to eliminate the need for binary translation. which compute virtualization technique was used?
– What should an organization consider before migrating its applications and operating system to the public cloud to prevent vendor lock-in?
– What operating systems are used for student computers, devices, laptops, etc.?
– What operating system does your computer use?
– Is unauthorized access to operating systems prevented?
– How is the value delivered by IBM i being measured?
Project Monterey Critical Criteria:
Scrutinze Project Monterey leadership and assess what counts with Project Monterey that we are not counting.
– To what extent does management recognize IBM i as a tool to increase the results?
– How to deal with IBM i Changes?
Project Trillian Critical Criteria:
Reason over Project Trillian risks and create Project Trillian explanations for all managers.
Proprietary software Critical Criteria:
Probe Proprietary software adoptions and finalize specific methods for Proprietary software acceptance.
– Does our organization need more IBM i education?
– What is Effective IBM i?
Single-level store Critical Criteria:
Transcribe Single-level store failures and slay a dragon.
– Will IBM i have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
Software developer Critical Criteria:
Face Software developer goals and gather Software developer models .
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of IBM i product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– Pick an experienced Unix software developer, show him all the algorithms and ask him which one he likes the best?
– What threat is IBM i addressing?
Software license Critical Criteria:
Investigate Software license visions and report on the economics of relationships managing Software license and constraints.
– What implementation technologies/resources (e.g., programming languages, development platforms, software licenses) does the provider support?
– Do the IBM i decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
– Is our software usage in compliance with software license agreements?
– Have the types of risks that may impact IBM i been identified and analyzed?
Software release life cycle Critical Criteria:
Meet over Software release life cycle tasks and correct Software release life cycle management by competencies.
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of IBM i that make it risky?
– How do we Identify specific IBM i investment and emerging trends?
Transaction Processing Facility Critical Criteria:
Revitalize Transaction Processing Facility results and plan concise Transaction Processing Facility education.
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our IBM i agendas for the next 3 years?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in IBM i?
Virtual machine Critical Criteria:
Refer to Virtual machine risks and create Virtual machine explanations for all managers.
– Can your application be packaged into a virtual machine (VM) instance and run on cloud infrastructure or does it need specialized hardware and/or special access to hardware that the AWS cloud cannot provide?
– Does the provider utilize Network Access Control based enforcement for continuous monitoring of its virtual machine population and virtual machine sprawl prevention?
– An administrator is concerned about denial of service attacks on their virtual machines (vms). what is an effective method to reduce the risk of this type of attack?
– What types of resources (e.g., virtual machines, storage space, development environments) does the provider offer as part of each of its service models?
– An administrator wants to install a guest os on a newly created virtual machine. what enables the administrator to perform the installation?
– What is a limitation of using a backup agent on a hypervisor when backing up virtual machine (vm) data?
– What enables a virtual machine to be portable across physical machines running the same hypervisor?
– Which technique can be used to cluster a virtual machine with a physical machine?
– How many virtual machines are to be protected by the disaster recovery solution?
– What is the basis for determining the size of the virtual machine swap file?
– What enables a virtual machine to directly access luns in a storage system?
– What makes it possible to store virtual machine files on a nas device?
– What is a feature of virtual machine file system (vmfs)?
– What are our IBM i Processes?
WebSphere Application Server Critical Criteria:
Reorganize WebSphere Application Server management and customize techniques for implementing WebSphere Application Server controls.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for IBM i strengthening and reform actually originate?
Web application framework Critical Criteria:
Review Web application framework tactics and get answers.
Zend Technologies Critical Criteria:
Prioritize Zend Technologies strategies and adopt an insight outlook.
– Think about the people you identified for your IBM i project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a IBM i strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– Think of your IBM i project. what are the main functions?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the IBM InfoSphere DataStage Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
IBM i External links:
IBM i Access for Windows – Service packs
Virtual Conference – IBM i and Power Systems Education
Free-form RPG support on IBM i
Apache web server External links:
What Is the Apache Web Server? – Lifewire
How to Restart an Apache Web Server (Linux) – ThoughtCo
How to Install the Apache Web Server on a Windows PC
Auxiliary storage pool External links:
*ASP — Auxiliary storage pool
IASP means Independent Auxiliary Storage Pool – All …
Closed source External links:
Open Source vs. Closed Source Software – Associate …
Control Program Facility External links:
CPF abbreviation stands for Control Program Facility
DOS/360 and successors External links:
DOS/360 and successors – Revolvy
www.revolvy.com/topic/DOS/360 and successors
IBM 4690 OS External links:
IBM 4690 OS Version 3 Release 2: User’s Guide (SC30 …
Open Object Rexx / Patches / #93 Support IBM 4690 OS FTP
Getting started programming on IBM 4690 OS – Stack Overflow
IBM 7090/94 IBSYS External links:
IBM 7090/94 IBSYS – Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge …
IBM 7090/94 IBSYS images, pictures, videos & interesting …
IBM 8100 DPCX External links:
IBM 8100 DPCX | IT History Society
IBM AIX External links:
IBM AIX support lifecycle information – United States
IBM Airline Control Program External links:
IBM Airline Control Program – TheInfoList.com
theinfolist.com/php/HTMLGet.php?FindGo=Ibm Airline Control Program
IBM Airline Control Program – dictionary.sensagent.com
dictionary.sensagent.com/ibm airline control program/en-en
IBM DB2 External links:
IBM DB2 for z/OS. (eBook, 2015) [WorldCat.org]
IBM Db2 | IBM Analytics
IBM DPPX External links:
IBM DPPX – Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
IBM PC DOS External links:
[PDF]Ibm Pc Dos Handbook – smirna.de
IBM PC DOS – Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
IBM PC DOS Version 7
IBM Power Systems External links:
[PDF]IBM Power Systems E870 and E880 Technical …
IBM Power Systems & AS400 Hosting – Infor & High Availability
IBM System/36 External links:
IBM System/36 Archives – IT Answers
IBM System/36 : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive
[PDF]IBM System/36 Facts Folder – Typewritten Software
IBM System/38 External links:
IBM system/38 : an auditors guide (Book, 1985) …
IBM System/38 – Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
IBM System/38 : an Auditors Guide. – WorldCat
IBM System i External links:
IBM System I
ADM960_Col10_2013_Title | Ibm System I | Transport …
Solutions for IBM System i | Pinnacle
IBM Workplace OS External links:
IBM Workplace OS – topics.revolvy.com
topics.revolvy.com/topic/IBM Workplace OS&item_type=topic
IBM Workplace OS: Latest News & Videos, Photos about …
Logical partition External links:
Patent US8301863 – Recursive logical partition real …
What is logical partition (LPAR)? – Definition from WhatIs.com
MySQL AB External links:
OS/360 and successors External links:
OS/360 and successors – Revolvy
www.revolvy.com/topic/OS/360 and successors&item_type=topic
OS/360 and successors – Local Business | Facebook
OS/360 and successors – Sussle
Operating system External links:
nCino Bank Operating System
Find Out Which Operating System Is on My Computer …
Operating System and Browser warning
Project Monterey External links:
[PDF]Project Monterey – Inspiring Innovation
Project Trillian External links:
Project Trillian – Revolvy
Proprietary software External links:
Disadvantages of Proprietary Software | Chron.com
What is Proprietary Software? – Definition from Techopedia
Software developer External links:
Software Developer Job Description Examples | Indeed.com
Title Software Developer Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
[PDF]Job Description for Software Developer. Title: …
Software license External links:
QuickBooks Terms of Service & Software License …
Microsoft Software License Terms
[PDF]2016 Drake Software License and Non-Disclosure …
Software release life cycle External links:
Software release life cycle | 9to5Mac
Software Release Life Cycle – Quora
Transaction Processing Facility External links:
IBM z/Transaction Processing Facility
[PDF]Distributed Transaction Processing Facility …
[PDF]IBM z/Transaction Processing Facility: Overview …
Virtual machine External links:
VMware vCenter Converter: P2V Virtual Machine Converter
Virtual Machine Licensing FAQ | Microsoft Azure
WebSphere Application Server External links:
Publishing to Websphere Application Server – Stack Overflow
WebSphere Application Server V22.214.171.124 – Welcome to Liberty
Zend Technologies External links:
Zend Technologies USA. – MapQuest
Zend Technologies Web Design | Branding | Web …
Zend Technologies | Headwaters MB