What is involved in Physical Security
Find out what the related areas are that Physical Security connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Physical Security thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Physical Security journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Physical Security leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Physical Security related domains to cover and 120 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Physical Security, Access control, Alarm management, Alarm systems, Artificial intelligence for video surveillance, Biometric device, Boundaries of Security Report, Closed-circuit television, Computer security, Crime prevention through environmental design, Door security, Executive protection, Glass break detector, Guard tour patrol system, Guard towers, Human rights, IP camera, Identification cards, Information security, Key management, Logical security, Motion sensors, Natural surveillance, Physical Security Professional, Protective barriers, Razor wire, Security alarm, Security alarms, Security engineering, Security guard, Security guards, Security lighting, Standoff distance, Video analytics:
Physical Security Critical Criteria:
Prioritize Physical Security engagements and know what your objective is.
– Are there multiple physical security controls (such as badges, escorts, or mantraps) in place that would prevent unauthorized individuals from gaining access to the facility?
– Are information security policies, including policies for access control, application and system development, operational, network and physical security, formally documented?
– Does your Cybersecurity plan contain both cyber and physical security components, or does your physical security plan identify critical cyber assets?
– Has Cybersecurity been identified in the physical security plans for the assets, reflecting planning for a blended cyber/physical attack?
– Secured Offices, Rooms and Facilities: Are physical security for offices, rooms and facilities designed and applied?
– Is the security product consistent with physical security and other policy requirements?
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Physical Security ?
– What are the barriers to increased Physical Security production?
– Will Physical Security deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
Access control Critical Criteria:
Incorporate Access control engagements and report on setting up Access control without losing ground.
– Question to cloud provider: Does your platform offer fine-grained access control so that my users can have different roles that do not create conflicts or violate compliance guidelines?
– Can the access control product protect individual devices (e.g., floppy disks, compact disks–read-only memory CD-ROM, serial and parallel interfaces, and system clipboard)?
– If our security management product supports access control based on defined rules, what is the granularity of the rules supported: access control per user, group, or role?
– Does the provider utilize Network Access Control based enforcement for continuous monitoring of its virtual machine population and virtual machine sprawl prevention?
– Access control: Are there appropriate controls over access to PII when stored in the cloud so that only individuals with a need to know will be able to access it?
– If data need to be secured through access controls (e.g. password-protected network space), how will they be applied?
– Do access control logs contain successful and unsuccessful login attempts and access to audit logs?
– Is the process actually generating measurable improvement in the state of logical access control?
– Access control: Are there appropriate access controls over PII when it is in the cloud?
– Access Control To Program Source Code: Is access to program source code restricted?
– Should we call it role based rule based access control, or rbrbac?
– Do the provider services offer fine grained access control?
– What type of advanced access control is supported?
– What access control exists to protect the data?
– What is our role based access control?
– Who determines access controls?
– What is our Physical Security Strategy?
– How can we improve Physical Security?
Alarm management Critical Criteria:
Match Alarm management outcomes and stake your claim.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Physical Security. How do we gain traction?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Physical Security?
– How do we Improve Physical Security service perception, and satisfaction?
Alarm systems Critical Criteria:
Probe Alarm systems risks and plan concise Alarm systems education.
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Physical Security objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– To what extent does management recognize Physical Security as a tool to increase the results?
– What are specific Physical Security Rules to follow?
Artificial intelligence for video surveillance Critical Criteria:
Cut a stake in Artificial intelligence for video surveillance risks and proactively manage Artificial intelligence for video surveillance risks.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Physical Security process?
– What are the usability implications of Physical Security actions?
– Why is Physical Security important for you now?
Biometric device Critical Criteria:
Mix Biometric device quality and gather Biometric device models .
– What are the disruptive Physical Security technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Physical Security delivery for example is new software needed?
Boundaries of Security Report Critical Criteria:
Talk about Boundaries of Security Report visions and change contexts.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Physical Security processes?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Physical Security requirements in detail?
Closed-circuit television Critical Criteria:
Define Closed-circuit television planning and create Closed-circuit television explanations for all managers.
– Does Physical Security systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Physical Security process?
Computer security Critical Criteria:
Explore Computer security leadership and find out.
– Does your company provide end-user training to all employees on Cybersecurity, either as part of general staff training or specifically on the topic of computer security and company policy?
– Will the selection of a particular product limit the future choices of other computer security or operational modifications and improvements?
– How do mission and objectives affect the Physical Security processes of our organization?
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Physical Security project?
Crime prevention through environmental design Critical Criteria:
Check Crime prevention through environmental design issues and pay attention to the small things.
– Is a Physical Security Team Work effort in place?
Door security Critical Criteria:
Reason over Door security strategies and overcome Door security skills and management ineffectiveness.
– Do Physical Security rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
– Does the Physical Security task fit the clients priorities?
– How can the value of Physical Security be defined?
Executive protection Critical Criteria:
Communicate about Executive protection issues and look at it backwards.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Physical Security project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– Is there a Physical Security Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– How to Secure Physical Security?
Glass break detector Critical Criteria:
Rank Glass break detector decisions and customize techniques for implementing Glass break detector controls.
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Physical Security is underway?
– Do the Physical Security decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
– How do we go about Comparing Physical Security approaches/solutions?
Guard tour patrol system Critical Criteria:
Group Guard tour patrol system management and perfect Guard tour patrol system conflict management.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Physical Security processes?
– Have all basic functions of Physical Security been defined?
– How do we keep improving Physical Security?
Guard towers Critical Criteria:
Investigate Guard towers engagements and learn.
– Can we do Physical Security without complex (expensive) analysis?
– What are the long-term Physical Security goals?
Human rights Critical Criteria:
Categorize Human rights engagements and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Human rights results.
– Will Physical Security have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– What threat is Physical Security addressing?
IP camera Critical Criteria:
Paraphrase IP camera strategies and finalize the present value of growth of IP camera.
– How important is Physical Security to the user organizations mission?
– Is Supporting Physical Security documentation required?
Identification cards Critical Criteria:
Start Identification cards visions and find the essential reading for Identification cards researchers.
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Physical Security moving forward?
Information security Critical Criteria:
Pay attention to Information security governance and develop and take control of the Information security initiative.
– Is the software and application development process based on an industry best practice and is information security included throughout the software development life cycle (sdlc) process?
– Are information security policies and other relevant security information disseminated to all system users (including vendors, contractors, and business partners)?
– Based on our information security Risk Management strategy, do we have official written information security and privacy policies, standards, or procedures?
– Do suitable policies for the information security exist for all critical assets of the value added chain (indication of completeness of policies, Ico )?
– Does this review include assessing opportunities for improvement, need for changes to the ISMS, review of information security policy & objectives?
– Is mgmt able to determine whether security activities delegated to people or implemented by information security are performing as expected?
– Do we have an official information security architecture, based on our Risk Management analysis and information security strategy?
– Are information security roles and responsibilities coordinated and aligned with internal roles and external partners?
– Is there an up-to-date information security awareness and training program in place for all system users?
– Have standards for information security across all entities been established or codified into law?
– Does your organization have a chief information security officer (ciso or equivalent title)?
– Is there a consistent and effective approach applied to the mgmt of information security events?
– Are information security policies reviewed at least once a year and updated as needed?
– Ensure that the information security procedures support the business requirements?
– Conform to the identified information security requirements?
– Is information security managed within the organization?
Key management Critical Criteria:
Consider Key management decisions and maintain Key management for success.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Physical Security in a volatile global economy?
– Another confidentiality consideration for encryption is key management. How are the encryption keys that are used going to be managed and by whom?
– Is Physical Security Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
– Is Physical Security Required?
Logical security Critical Criteria:
Deliberate over Logical security tactics and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– Do those selected for the Physical Security team have a good general understanding of what Physical Security is all about?
– What is the source of the strategies for Physical Security strengthening and reform?
– Are there Physical Security Models?
Motion sensors Critical Criteria:
Illustrate Motion sensors issues and remodel and develop an effective Motion sensors strategy.
– Is Physical Security dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
Natural surveillance Critical Criteria:
Study Natural surveillance risks and figure out ways to motivate other Natural surveillance users.
– How do we know that any Physical Security analysis is complete and comprehensive?
– How can skill-level changes improve Physical Security?
Physical Security Professional Critical Criteria:
Guard Physical Security Professional visions and explain and analyze the challenges of Physical Security Professional.
– Does Physical Security create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
Protective barriers Critical Criteria:
Confer over Protective barriers projects and balance specific methods for improving Protective barriers results.
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Physical Security processes?
Razor wire Critical Criteria:
Apply Razor wire engagements and report on setting up Razor wire without losing ground.
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Physical Security forward?
Security alarm Critical Criteria:
Canvass Security alarm tactics and learn.
– What about Physical Security Analysis of results?
Security alarms Critical Criteria:
Face Security alarms visions and look in other fields.
Security engineering Critical Criteria:
Interpolate Security engineering engagements and simulate teachings and consultations on quality process improvement of Security engineering.
– Does Physical Security include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Physical Security project manager?
– How to deal with Physical Security Changes?
Security guard Critical Criteria:
Design Security guard tactics and assess what counts with Security guard that we are not counting.
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Physical Security goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Physical Security activities?
– What vendors make products that address the Physical Security needs?
Security guards Critical Criteria:
Facilitate Security guards results and find answers.
– Why should we adopt a Physical Security framework?
– How do we maintain Physical Securitys Integrity?
Security lighting Critical Criteria:
Trace Security lighting goals and shift your focus.
– For your Physical Security project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– What is our formula for success in Physical Security ?
Standoff distance Critical Criteria:
Match Standoff distance goals and report on developing an effective Standoff distance strategy.
– Have you identified your Physical Security key performance indicators?
Video analytics Critical Criteria:
Infer Video analytics risks and transcribe Video analytics as tomorrows backbone for success.
– What potential environmental factors impact the Physical Security effort?
– What are current Physical Security Paradigms?
– What is Effective Physical Security?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Physical Security Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Physical Security External links:
UAB – Business and Auxiliary Services – Physical Security
ADC LTD NM Leader In Personnel & Physical Security
Army COOL Summary – ASI H3 – Physical Security Operations
Access control External links:
Multi-Factor Authentication – Access control | Microsoft Azure
Linear Pro Access – Professional Access Control Systems
What is Access Control? – Definition from Techopedia
Alarm management External links:
ProSys Alarm Management – AgileOps | ProSys
Alarm Management Website – University of Utah
Artificial intelligence for video surveillance External links:
Mindolia | Artificial Intelligence for Video Surveillance
Biometric device External links:
biometric device on windows 7 – YouTube
HIIDE portable biometric device scans iris, fingers and face
Computer security External links:
Report a Computer Security Vulnerability – TechNet …
NIST Computer Security Resource Center | CSRC
[PDF]An Introduction to Computer Security: The NIST …
Crime prevention through environmental design External links:
Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design | …
Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design | …
Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED)
Door security External links:
Door Security for Homes – DoorDevil
ASSA ABLOY Door Security Solutions :: Extranet
Executive protection External links:
Executive Protection Training | TCCC course | GI BIll …
Naples Security Solutions – Executive Protection – …
Executive Protection Training Program | Pinkerton
Glass break detector External links:
Honeywell SIXGB – Wireless Glass Break Detector – Alarm …
Keepsafer Glass Break Detector- SmartHomeUSA.com
United Security Products Window Bug Glass Break Detector
Guard tour patrol system External links:
QR-Patrol | Real Time and Online Guard Tour Patrol System
Guard towers External links:
Guard Towers and Observation Towers | Panel Built
Guard Towers | Observation Towers | Porta-King
Mobile Prison Guard Towers Coming to a Walmart near …
Human rights External links:
Human Rights – Idaho Commission on Human Rights – …
Human Rights Watch | Defending Human Rights Worldwide
ohr | Office of Human Rights
IP camera External links:
IP Camera | Samsung
Download IP Camera Firmware Upgrade | Arecont Vision
Not able to access ip camera within network – Networking
Identification cards External links:
[PDF]POLICY TITLE IDENTIFICATION CARDS …
Maryland Identification Cards
Information security External links:
Federal Information Security Management Act of 2002 – NIST
[PDF]TITLE: INFORMATION SECURITY MANAGEMENT …
Key management External links:
Apartments, Houses & Senior Rentals | Key Management
Key management models (Book, 2003) [WorldCat.org]
Key Tracer Key Management Systems
Logical security External links:
Shon Harris – Logical Security, Contributor
Motion sensors External links:
Outdoor Motion Sensors
Ad · Amazon.com/Outdoor Motion Sensors
Natural surveillance External links:
Natural Surveillance | Temple Terrace, FL – Official Website
[PDF]Natural Surveillance Natural Access Control – Northglenn
What is Natural Surveillance? – Simplicable
Physical Security Professional External links:
ASIS International – Physical Security Professional (PSP)
[PDF]Sample Test Physical Security Professional …
Physical Security Professional in Kyiv – Home | Facebook
Protective barriers External links:
751.12 Protective Barriers – Engineering Policy Guide
Robotics: Safety without protective barriers — ScienceDaily
Vestil – Protective Barriers
Razor wire External links:
Razor Wire: Edging, Gates & Fencing | eBay
Razor Wire Fencing – Buy Razor Wire Fencing at Amazon
Ad · Amazon.com/Patio
Mayor opposes razor wire on border fence – CNN
Security alarm External links:
Home Security Systems from Select Security Alarm …
Security alarms External links:
ADT Home Security Systems | Zions Security Alarms
Security engineering External links:
National Security Engineering Center | The MITRE …
Master of Science in Cyber Security Engineering – UW …
Security guard External links:
[PDF]TITLE: SECURITY GUARD SERVICE – Monroe …
Pierce County Security – Security Guard Services (253) …
Security guards External links:
Security Guards :: Job Description – MyPlan.com
Security lighting External links:
Categories – Motion Activated Security Lighting – HeathZenith
Smart Security Lighting | BeON Home
Security Lighting – Free 2-day Shipping On Millions of Items
Ad · walmart.com/Home
Standoff distance External links:
Standoff Distance | American Welding Society Education …
Video analytics External links:
Online Video Analytics – Robust API. Content Protection
Ad · JWPlayer.com/FullService
Agent Vi – Comprehensive Video Analytics Solutions
Jemez Technology – Video Analytics, Surveillance