What is involved in Communications and Network Security
Find out what the related areas are that Communications and Network Security connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Communications and Network Security thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Communications and Network Security journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Communications and Network Security leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Communications and Network Security related domains to cover and 126 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Communications and Network Security, Communications security, Access control, Air Force Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Agency, Classified information, Commonwealth Securities, Controlled Cryptographic Item, Copyright status of work by the U.S. government, Cryptographic security, De facto standard, Department of Defense Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms, Dynamic secrets, Electronic Key Management System, Electronics technician, Frequency hopping, General Services Administration, Information security, Information warfare, Military communications, NSA encryption systems, NSA product types, National Information Systems Security Glossary, National Security Agency, North Atlantic Treaty Organization, Operations security, Over the Air Rekeying, Physical security, Secure Terminal Equipment, Secure communication, Signal operating instructions, Signals intelligence, Spectrum management, Spread spectrum, Traffic analysis, Transmission security, Two person integrity, United States Department of Defense, Voice encryption:
Communications and Network Security Critical Criteria:
Confer re Communications and Network Security outcomes and don’t overlook the obvious.
– Think of your Communications and Network Security project. what are the main functions?
– What vendors make products that address the Communications and Network Security needs?
– What about Communications and Network Security Analysis of results?
Communications security Critical Criteria:
Recall Communications security quality and integrate design thinking in Communications security innovation.
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Communications and Network Security that make it risky?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Communications and Network Security effort?
– How can we improve Communications and Network Security?
Access control Critical Criteria:
Concentrate on Access control engagements and finalize the present value of growth of Access control.
– Question to cloud provider: Does your platform offer fine-grained access control so that my users can have different roles that do not create conflicts or violate compliance guidelines?
– Are information security policies, including policies for access control, application and system development, operational, network and physical security, formally documented?
– Can the access control product protect individual devices (e.g., floppy disks, compact disks–read-only memory CD-ROM, serial and parallel interfaces, and system clipboard)?
– If our security management product supports access control based on defined rules, what is the granularity of the rules supported: access control per user, group, or role?
– Does the provider utilize Network Access Control based enforcement for continuous monitoring of its virtual machine population and virtual machine sprawl prevention?
– Access control: Are there appropriate controls over access to PII when stored in the cloud so that only individuals with a need to know will be able to access it?
– If data need to be secured through access controls (e.g. password-protected network space), how will they be applied?
– Do access control logs contain successful and unsuccessful login attempts and access to audit logs?
– Is the process actually generating measurable improvement in the state of logical access control?
– Access control: Are there appropriate access controls over PII when it is in the cloud?
– Access Control To Program Source Code: Is access to program source code restricted?
– Should we call it role based rule based access control, or rbrbac?
– Do the provider services offer fine grained access control?
– What type of advanced access control is supported?
– What access control exists to protect the data?
– What is our role based access control?
– Who determines access controls?
Air Force Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Agency Critical Criteria:
Recall Air Force Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Agency decisions and observe effective Air Force Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Agency.
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Communications and Network Security activities?
– Why is Communications and Network Security important for you now?
Classified information Critical Criteria:
Apply Classified information tactics and tour deciding if Classified information progress is made.
– Are there any data with specific security or regulatory concerns with sharing (e.g. classified information or handling requirements), and how will they be addressed?
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Communications and Network Security project?
– Is there any existing Communications and Network Security governance structure?
– How can you measure Communications and Network Security in a systematic way?
Commonwealth Securities Critical Criteria:
Wrangle Commonwealth Securities goals and secure Commonwealth Securities creativity.
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Communications and Network Security? There might be some that are less obvious?
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Communications and Network Security project?
– What are the long-term Communications and Network Security goals?
Controlled Cryptographic Item Critical Criteria:
Look at Controlled Cryptographic Item decisions and probe Controlled Cryptographic Item strategic alliances.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Communications and Network Security models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– Think about the functions involved in your Communications and Network Security project. what processes flow from these functions?
– Do we monitor the Communications and Network Security decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
Copyright status of work by the U.S. government Critical Criteria:
Adapt Copyright status of work by the U.S. government planning and know what your objective is.
– Is a Communications and Network Security Team Work effort in place?
– Are we Assessing Communications and Network Security and Risk?
– How do we keep improving Communications and Network Security?
Cryptographic security Critical Criteria:
Experiment with Cryptographic security engagements and explore and align the progress in Cryptographic security.
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Communications and Network Security objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Communications and Network Security moving forward?
– What business benefits will Communications and Network Security goals deliver if achieved?
De facto standard Critical Criteria:
Generalize De facto standard strategies and correct De facto standard management by competencies.
– Do you see the need for actions in the area of standardisation (including both formal standards and the promotion of/agreement on de facto standards) related to your sector?
– How do we know that any Communications and Network Security analysis is complete and comprehensive?
– Who sets the Communications and Network Security standards?
Department of Defense Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms Critical Criteria:
Align Department of Defense Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms management and define what our big hairy audacious Department of Defense Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms goal is.
– How do we Improve Communications and Network Security service perception, and satisfaction?
– What threat is Communications and Network Security addressing?
– How to deal with Communications and Network Security Changes?
Dynamic secrets Critical Criteria:
Review Dynamic secrets management and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Dynamic secrets.
– How can you negotiate Communications and Network Security successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– How will you know that the Communications and Network Security project has been successful?
Electronic Key Management System Critical Criteria:
Mine Electronic Key Management System visions and adopt an insight outlook.
– Does Communications and Network Security include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
Electronics technician Critical Criteria:
Nurse Electronics technician management and correct better engagement with Electronics technician results.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Communications and Network Security? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
Frequency hopping Critical Criteria:
Systematize Frequency hopping goals and assess what counts with Frequency hopping that we are not counting.
– How do we measure improved Communications and Network Security service perception, and satisfaction?
– Are there recognized Communications and Network Security problems?
General Services Administration Critical Criteria:
Brainstorm over General Services Administration strategies and document what potential General Services Administration megatrends could make our business model obsolete.
– Among the Communications and Network Security product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Communications and Network Security process?
Information security Critical Criteria:
Differentiate Information security tasks and oversee Information security management by competencies.
– Does the information security function actively engage with other critical functions, such as it, Human Resources, legal, and the privacy officer, to develop and enforce compliance with information security and privacy policies and practices?
– Is the software and application development process based on an industry best practice and is information security included throughout the software development life cycle (sdlc) process?
– Has specific responsibility been assigned for the execution of business continuity and disaster recovery plans (either within or outside of the information security function)?
– Has the organization established an enterprise-wide business continuity/disaster recovery program that is consistent with requirements, policy, and applicable guidelines?
– Is there an information security policy to provide mgmt direction and support for information security in accordance with business requirements, relevant laws and regulations?
– Are information security policies and other relevant security information disseminated to all system users (including vendors, contractors, and business partners)?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– Does this review include assessing opportunities for improvement, need for changes to the ISMS, review of information security policy & objectives?
– Are information security roles and responsibilities coordinated and aligned with internal roles and external partners?
– When a Communications and Network Security manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
– Does your organization have a chief information security officer (CISO or equivalent title)?
– Ensure that the information security procedures support the business requirements?
– What best describes the authorization process in information security?
– what is the difference between cyber security and information security?
– Is information security an it function within the company?
– What is the main driver for information security expenditure?
– Is information security managed within the organization?
– What is information security?
Information warfare Critical Criteria:
Powwow over Information warfare adoptions and gather Information warfare models .
Military communications Critical Criteria:
Frame Military communications results and test out new things.
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Communications and Network Security delivery for example is new software needed?
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Communications and Network Security ?
– Does our organization need more Communications and Network Security education?
NSA encryption systems Critical Criteria:
Administer NSA encryption systems issues and test out new things.
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Communications and Network Security opportunities costing us money?
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Communications and Network Security activities?
– What will drive Communications and Network Security change?
NSA product types Critical Criteria:
Rank NSA product types goals and intervene in NSA product types processes and leadership.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Communications and Network Security strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Communications and Network Security agendas for the next 3 years?
National Information Systems Security Glossary Critical Criteria:
Transcribe National Information Systems Security Glossary quality and describe which business rules are needed as National Information Systems Security Glossary interface.
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Communications and Network Security goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– How to Secure Communications and Network Security?
National Security Agency Critical Criteria:
Detail National Security Agency issues and clarify ways to gain access to competitive National Security Agency services.
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Communications and Network Security forward?
– Is Communications and Network Security Required?
North Atlantic Treaty Organization Critical Criteria:
Adapt North Atlantic Treaty Organization management and pioneer acquisition of North Atlantic Treaty Organization systems.
– Is maximizing Communications and Network Security protection the same as minimizing Communications and Network Security loss?
– Does Communications and Network Security appropriately measure and monitor risk?
– Is the scope of Communications and Network Security defined?
Operations security Critical Criteria:
Reconstruct Operations security management and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive Operations security projects.
– What are the Key enablers to make this Communications and Network Security move?
– What is Effective Communications and Network Security?
Over the Air Rekeying Critical Criteria:
Face Over the Air Rekeying projects and transcribe Over the Air Rekeying as tomorrows backbone for success.
– How can skill-level changes improve Communications and Network Security?
Physical security Critical Criteria:
Graph Physical security planning and attract Physical security skills.
– Are there multiple physical security controls (such as badges, escorts, or mantraps) in place that would prevent unauthorized individuals from gaining access to the facility?
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Communications and Network Security processes?
– Does your Cybersecurity plan contain both cyber and physical security components, or does your physical security plan identify critical cyber assets?
– Has Cybersecurity been identified in the physical security plans for the assets, reflecting planning for a blended cyber/physical attack?
– Secured Offices, Rooms and Facilities: Are physical security for offices, rooms and facilities designed and applied?
– Is the security product consistent with physical security and other policy requirements?
– Can we do Communications and Network Security without complex (expensive) analysis?
Secure Terminal Equipment Critical Criteria:
Inquire about Secure Terminal Equipment issues and research ways can we become the Secure Terminal Equipment company that would put us out of business.
– Do we have past Communications and Network Security Successes?
Secure communication Critical Criteria:
Recall Secure communication governance and reduce Secure communication costs.
– Are accountability and ownership for Communications and Network Security clearly defined?
– How do we manage Communications and Network Security Knowledge Management (KM)?
Signal operating instructions Critical Criteria:
Differentiate Signal operating instructions goals and don’t overlook the obvious.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Communications and Network Security in a volatile global economy?
– In a project to restructure Communications and Network Security outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
Signals intelligence Critical Criteria:
Prioritize Signals intelligence planning and give examples utilizing a core of simple Signals intelligence skills.
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Communications and Network Security project?
Spectrum management Critical Criteria:
Grasp Spectrum management tactics and find answers.
– How do we Identify specific Communications and Network Security investment and emerging trends?
– How do we go about Securing Communications and Network Security?
Spread spectrum Critical Criteria:
Face Spread spectrum strategies and document what potential Spread spectrum megatrends could make our business model obsolete.
– Will Communications and Network Security deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
– What is our formula for success in Communications and Network Security ?
Traffic analysis Critical Criteria:
Concentrate on Traffic analysis results and diversify disclosure of information – dealing with confidential Traffic analysis information.
– How do we maintain Communications and Network Securitys Integrity?
Transmission security Critical Criteria:
Study Transmission security engagements and adjust implementation of Transmission security.
Two person integrity Critical Criteria:
Learn from Two person integrity strategies and forecast involvement of future Two person integrity projects in development.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Communications and Network Security process?
– How can the value of Communications and Network Security be defined?
United States Department of Defense Critical Criteria:
Examine United States Department of Defense leadership and proactively manage United States Department of Defense risks.
– Who needs to know about Communications and Network Security ?
Voice encryption Critical Criteria:
Refer to Voice encryption governance and prioritize challenges of Voice encryption.
– Will Communications and Network Security have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– What is the source of the strategies for Communications and Network Security strengthening and reform?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Communications and Network Security Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Communications security External links:
[PDF]Security Communications Security Monitoring
Access control External links:
Mobile Access Control | Inventory Management | Telaeris, …
Mercury Security Access Control Hardware & Solutions
What is Access Control? – Definition from Techopedia
Classified information External links:
Unauthorized Disclosure of Classified Information for …
Marking Classified Information – USALearning
Commonwealth Securities External links:
Commonwealth Securities Ltd – Home
Controlled Cryptographic Item External links:
Controlled Cryptographic Item’s (CCI) Jeopardy Template
[PDF]CONTROLLED CRYPTOGRAPHIC ITEM (CCI) …
Controlled Cryptographic Item Assembly – Defined Term
De facto standard External links:
De Facto Standard Flashcards | Quizlet
Dynamic secrets External links:
Dynamic Secrets – Getting Started – Vault by HashiCorp
Electronic Key Management System External links:
KEYper Electronic Key Management System
Electronic Key Management System | Keyper Systems
Electronics technician External links:
Electronics Technician Training | Gateway Technical College
Electronics Technician – Kelly Services
DCP: Television, Radio and Electronics Technician …
Frequency hopping External links:
[PDF]Frequency Hopping Multiplexer (FHMUX) – Northrop …
FREQUENCY HOPPING (FH) COMMUNICATIONS – …
What is Frequency Hopping – FHSS? – telecomHall
General Services Administration External links:
US General Services Administration – Unauthorized …
GSA – U.S. General Services Administration | OfficeSupply…
Information security External links:
[PDF]TITLE: INFORMATION SECURITY MANAGEMENT …
Federal Information Security Management Act of 2002 – NIST
Title & Settlement Information Security
Information warfare External links:
Information warfare – SourceWatch
[PDF]Information Warfare – ICT
Information Warfare. (eBook, 2012) [WorldCat.org]
Military communications External links:
Military Communications- A Test for Technology – U.S. …
MILCOM 2014, Military Communications Conference
Raven 2500 – Military Communications Backpack | Kelty
NSA product types External links:
NSA product types – Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge …
NSA product types – Revolvy
topics.revolvy.com/topic/NSA product types
National Security Agency External links:
National Security Agency for Intelligence Careers
North Atlantic Treaty Organization External links:
North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) – What is NATO?
North Atlantic Treaty Organization – Encyclopedia Britannica
Operations security External links:
[PDF]Operations and Signal Security Operations Security
111 OPSEC (Operations Security) Flashcards | Quizlet
AMCOM Operations Security Officer’s Proactive Efforst …
Over the Air Rekeying External links:
KZA0580 P25 Over the Air Rekeying (OTAR) KNG Mobiles …
Physical security External links:
Access Control and Physical Security
ADC LTD NM Leader In Personnel & Physical Security
Physical Security and Business Continuity – ABA
Secure Terminal Equipment External links:
STE The Secure Terminal Equipment Office Telephone
Secure communication External links:
Secure communication system – Semler, Ronald H.
Secure Communication Management System (SCMS)
Signals intelligence External links:
[PDF]MCWP 2-22 Signals Intelligence
Spectrum management External links:
Spectrum Management | NTIA
CT Spectrum Management Association
Spread spectrum External links:
Hedy Lamarr: Invention of Spread Spectrum Technology
SST – Spread Spectrum Technologies. American High Fidelity
What is spread spectrum? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Traffic analysis External links:
WSDOT – Traffic Design – Traffic Analysis
Topspin Security – Traffic Analysis
Traffic Analysis Tools – FHWA Operations
Transmission security External links:
[PDF]TRANSMISSION SECURITY POLICY AND …
Two person integrity External links:
Two person integrity – Revolvy
topics.revolvy.com/topic/Two person integrity&item_type=topic
[PDF]Policy and Procedure for Two Person Integrity
Two Person Integrity – App Demo
United States Department of Defense External links:
United States Department of Defense Standards of …
United States Department of Defense – Official Site
United States Department of Defense Standards of …
Voice encryption External links:
Voice Encryption – Gartner IT Glossary