What is involved in Software asset management
Find out what the related areas are that Software asset management connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Software asset management thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its SAM software asset management journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward SAM software asset management leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Software asset management related domains to cover and 138 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Software asset management, Bring your own device, Business Software Alliance, Business strategy, Central processing unit, Computer network, Discipline, Financial Software, ISO/IEC 19770, ISO 19770, IT asset management, Information Technology Infrastructure Library, Information technology, International Electrotechnical Commission, International Organization for Standardization, Issue tracking, License manager, Productivity, Security policies, Software as a service, Software deployment, Software licenses, Software licensing audit, Software metering, Software piracy, System Centre Configuration Manager:
Software asset management Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate Software asset management planning and budget for Software asset management challenges.
– How is the value delivered by Software asset management being measured?
– Have all basic functions of Software asset management been defined?
– What are current Software asset management Paradigms?
Bring your own device Critical Criteria:
Understand Bring your own device tactics and point out Bring your own device tensions in leadership.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Software asset management services/products?
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Software asset management objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
Business Software Alliance Critical Criteria:
Systematize Business Software Alliance tactics and look in other fields.
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Software asset management project?
– What is the source of the strategies for Software asset management strengthening and reform?
– How do we manage Software asset management Knowledge Management (KM)?
Business strategy Critical Criteria:
Wrangle Business strategy goals and balance specific methods for improving Business strategy results.
– As a CSP undertakes to build out or take a fresh look at its service offerings, the CSP should clearly define its business strategy and related risk management philosophy. What market segments or industries does the CSP intend to serve?
– How do we provide the context for investment considerations (which services does an investment affect, and how does that fit with the business strategy and priorities?
– Which services does the ITSM investment affect, and how does that fit with the business strategy and priorities?
– What is the link between a firms business strategy and its capital budgeting process?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Software asset management study?
– What is your it asset management program. is it manual or automated (which vendor)?
– What are the Key enablers to make this Software asset management move?
– How to get alignment between business strategy and IT infrastructure?
– Are assumptions made in Software asset management stated explicitly?
– What should be done in-house and what should be outsourced?
– Are outcomes in line with business strategy?
– What is the overall business strategy?
Central processing unit Critical Criteria:
Check Central processing unit outcomes and diversify disclosure of information – dealing with confidential Central processing unit information.
– Consider your own Software asset management project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Software asset management leaders?
Computer network Critical Criteria:
Revitalize Computer network projects and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive Computer network decisions.
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Software asset management?
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Software asset management project?
– Is the illegal entry into a private computer network a crime in your country?
Discipline Critical Criteria:
Disseminate Discipline visions and document what potential Discipline megatrends could make our business model obsolete.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Software asset management in a volatile global economy?
– What is the discipline for managing sole-authority data as one logical source with defined updating rules for physical data residing on different platforms?
– With the increasing adoption of cloud computing do you think enterprise architecture as a discipline will become more or less important to us and why?
– What is the discipline for managing replicated data, which is derived from operational sole-authority data?
– Should the dataset be deposited in a national, international or discipline-based data center?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Software asset management that make it risky?
– In which discipline will you likely purchase new tools to accelerate DevOps?
– Why has systems engineering emerged as a distinct discipline?
– What is and why Disciplined Agile Delivery (DAD)?
– What assets benefit from the discipline of itam?
– How do disciplined agile teams work at scale?
– How does that compare to other science disciplines?
Financial Software Critical Criteria:
Transcribe Financial Software decisions and report on developing an effective Financial Software strategy.
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Software asset management project?
– What about Software asset management Analysis of results?
– How to Secure Software asset management?
ISO/IEC 19770 Critical Criteria:
Concentrate on ISO/IEC 19770 risks and finalize specific methods for ISO/IEC 19770 acceptance.
– Think about the people you identified for your Software asset management project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Software asset management models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– Will Software asset management have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
ISO 19770 Critical Criteria:
Bootstrap ISO 19770 issues and budget the knowledge transfer for any interested in ISO 19770.
– How do mission and objectives affect the Software asset management processes of our organization?
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Software asset management activities?
– Does Software asset management appropriately measure and monitor risk?
IT asset management Critical Criteria:
Infer IT asset management adoptions and pay attention to the small things.
– Deciding what level of hardware in the system is a decision process such as: is the cost or risk of loss with a usb cable, a tablet or a mouse sufficient to require tracking? Have we decided on the detail level?
– What are our key differences between ITAM IT asset management and ITSM IT service management?
– Can you identify all your it hardware and software locations?
– What are the request tracking needs of our organization?
– What is our policy around the distribution of software?
– What happens with your retired or disposed of assets?
– Game of hide and seek at your organization?
– What are significant events about it?
– What is the condition of the asset?
– What, though, is asset management?
– Which assets need managing ?
– Which assets need managing?
– Why do it asset management?
– Why create a it am system?
– What is the configuration?
– It assets -what are they?
– What do it staff need?
– Should we manage?
– Who is using it?
Information Technology Infrastructure Library Critical Criteria:
Rank Information Technology Infrastructure Library engagements and pioneer acquisition of Information Technology Infrastructure Library systems.
– How will you know that the Software asset management project has been successful?
– How can we improve Software asset management?
Information technology Critical Criteria:
Focus on Information technology decisions and optimize Information technology leadership as a key to advancement.
– Does your company have defined information technology risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported to management on a regular basis?
– Do the response plans address damage assessment, site restoration, payroll, Human Resources, information technology, and administrative support?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– How does new information technology come to be applied and diffused among firms?
– What are the barriers to increased Software asset management production?
– The difference between data/information and information technology (it)?
– Is Supporting Software asset management documentation required?
– When do you ask for help from Information Technology (IT)?
International Electrotechnical Commission Critical Criteria:
Gauge International Electrotechnical Commission planning and explain and analyze the challenges of International Electrotechnical Commission.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Software asset management product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– What are specific Software asset management Rules to follow?
International Organization for Standardization Critical Criteria:
Explore International Organization for Standardization leadership and pioneer acquisition of International Organization for Standardization systems.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Software asset management strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– Do the Software asset management decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
Issue tracking Critical Criteria:
Accommodate Issue tracking quality and give examples utilizing a core of simple Issue tracking skills.
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Software asset management process?
– Have you identified your Software asset management key performance indicators?
– How important is Software asset management to the user organizations mission?
License manager Critical Criteria:
Study License manager decisions and correct better engagement with License manager results.
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Software asset management goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– Is there a Software asset management Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
Productivity Critical Criteria:
Jump start Productivity tasks and transcribe Productivity as tomorrows backbone for success.
– Management buy-in is a concern. Many program managers are worried that upper-level management would ask for progress reports and productivity metrics that would be hard to gather in an Agile work environment. Management ignorance of Agile methodologies is also a worry. Will Agile advantages be able to overcome the well-known existing problems in software development?
– Agile project management with Scrum derives from best business practices in companies like Fuji-Xerox, Honda, Canon, and Toyota. Toyota routinely achieves four times the productivity and 12 times the quality of competitors. Can Scrum do the same for globally distributed teams?
– When we try to quantify Systems Engineering in terms of capturing productivity (i.e., size/effort) data to incorporate into a parametric model, what size measure captures the amount of intellectual work performed by the systems engineer?
– Scrums productivity stems from doing the right things first and doing those things very effectively. The product owner queues up the right work by prioritizing the product backlog. How does the team maximize its productivity, though?
– How do you measure the Operational performance of your key work systems and processes, including productivity, cycle time, and other appropriate measures of process effectiveness, efficiency, and innovation?
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Software asset management processes?
– How do you use other indicators, such as workforce retention, absenteeism, grievances, safety, and productivity, to assess and improve workforce engagement?
– Do those selected for the Software asset management team have a good general understanding of what Software asset management is all about?
– Is employee productivity degraded because it is too difficult to gain and maintain system access?
– What are the most effective ways for us to improve the productivity of our sales force?
– Does Software asset management analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
– How many dependences affect the productivity of each activity?
– What are ways that employee productivity can be measured?
– How many external interfaces affect the productivity?
– How many constraints affect the productivity?
– How do we improve productivity?
Security policies Critical Criteria:
Probe Security policies strategies and report on setting up Security policies without losing ground.
– Does the IT Security system require end-users to configure and maintain security policies, security professionals to individually manage policies per host, or is the configuration centrally managed?
– Are information security policies, including policies for access control, application and system development, operational, network and physical security, formally documented?
– Are information security policies and other relevant security information disseminated to all system users (including vendors, contractors, and business partners)?
– How do you ensure that security policies are accurately and fully implemented across the cloud architectures you are using and buying into?
– Are employees required to sign an agreement verifying they have read and understood the security policies and procedures?
– How does the service providers security policies (e.g. contingency planning) differ from that of the organization?
– Does the firm have appropriate IT security policies governing user access that are effectively implemented?
– Are we requesting exemption from or modification to established information security policies or standards?
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Software asset management values?
– Are our employees following the security policies and procedures that are in place such as secure data disposal?
– Are information security policies reviewed at least once a year and updated as needed?
– How do we capture corporate security policies and incorporate them into the system?
– Is the compliance of systems with organization security policies and standards ensured?
– How do we Identify specific Software asset management investment and emerging trends?
– Are we complying with existing security policies?
Software as a service Critical Criteria:
Experiment with Software as a service visions and prioritize challenges of Software as a service.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Software asset management process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Software asset management process available?
– Why are Service Level Agreements a dying breed in the software as a service industry?
– How do we keep improving Software asset management?
Software deployment Critical Criteria:
Use past Software deployment results and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Software deployment results.
– What management system can we use to leverage the Software asset management experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– How do we Lead with Software asset management in Mind?
Software licenses Critical Criteria:
Accommodate Software licenses projects and reduce Software licenses costs.
– What implementation technologies/resources (e.g., programming languages, development platforms, software licenses) does the provider support?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of Software asset management?
– How much does Software asset management help?
Software licensing audit Critical Criteria:
Explore Software licensing audit tasks and clarify ways to gain access to competitive Software licensing audit services.
– How can the value of Software asset management be defined?
Software metering Critical Criteria:
Match Software metering management and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive Software metering decisions.
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding Software asset management?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Software asset management opportunities costing us money?
Software piracy Critical Criteria:
Interpolate Software piracy quality and develop and take control of the Software piracy initiative.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Software asset management is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Software asset management process?
– How do we measure improved Software asset management service perception, and satisfaction?
System Centre Configuration Manager Critical Criteria:
Interpolate System Centre Configuration Manager leadership and define what do we need to start doing with System Centre Configuration Manager.
– Does Software asset management include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the SAM software asset management Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Software asset management External links:
Software Asset Management – Use Cases
SAM Charter Software Asset Management
Bring your own device External links:
Bring Your Own Device / Bring Your Own Device
What is BYOD Bring Your Own Device? Webopedia Definition
Bring Your Own Device Program | Kindred Healthcare
Business Software Alliance External links:
Business Software Alliance – SourceWatch
Business strategy External links:
Business strategy – Corporate information – Exelon
Global Business Strategy Simulation Game
Business Strategy Game Simulation
Central processing unit External links:
Central processing unit
A central processing unit (CPU) is the electronic circuitry within a computer that carries out the instructions of a computer program by performing the basic arithmetic, logical, control and input/output (I/O) operations specified by the instructions. The term has been used in the computer industry at least since the early 1960s.
Computer network External links:
15-1152.00 – Computer Network Support Specialists
Computer network (eBook, 2009) [WorldCat.org]
What is a Computer Network? Webopedia Definition
Discipline External links:
Discipline | Definition of Discipline by Merriam-Webster
5 Different Types of Child Discipline – Verywell
Financial Software External links:
Financial Software | Audit Software | Industry Analysis
Eden ERP | Financial Software | Tyler Technologies
Financial Software | Online Access | BB&T Bank
ISO/IEC 19770 External links:
ISO/IEC 19770 – Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
International standards in the ISO/IEC 19770 family of standards for IT asset management (ITAM) address both the processes and technology for managing software assets and related IT assets. Broadly speaking, the standard family belongs to the set of Software Asset Management (or SAM) standards and is integrated with other Management System Standards.
ISO 19770 External links:
ISO 19770 – Microsoft Volume Licensing Blog
IT asset management External links:
IT Asset Management (ITAM) – Gartner IT Glossary
IT Asset Management (ITAM) Software – BMC Software
IT Service Management and IT Asset Management Software
Information Technology Infrastructure Library External links:
[PDF]Information Technology Infrastructure Library – ITIL®
Information technology External links:
Umail | University Information Technology Services
OHIO: Office of Information Technology |About Email
Box @ IU | University Information Technology Services
International Electrotechnical Commission External links:
IEC – International Electrotechnical Commission – YouTube
The Work of the International Electrotechnical Commission.
International Organization for Standardization External links:
ISO – International Organization for Standardization
MDMC – International Organization for Standardization …
ISO – International Organization for Standardization
Issue tracking External links:
[DOC]ISSUE TRACKING FORM – DXC Technology
Issue Tracker Comparison: Project issue tracking module …
Issue Tracking Demo
License manager External links:
TSI License Manager
[PDF]The Acowin License Manager
Productivity External links:
Allegiant Technology – Productivity. Continuity. Integrity.
Orchard Medical Consulting – Getting you back to productivity
One Talk | Productivity | Verizon Wireless Business
Security policies External links:
NDDOH Privacy/Security Policies
Online Security Policies | Principal
Security Policies – MozillaZine Knowledge Base
Software as a service External links:
What is SaaS? Software as a Service | Microsoft Azure
Software deployment External links:
[PDF]Automating Software Deployment – NYU Computer …
WPKG | Open Source Software Deployment and Distribution
Software licenses External links:
TLDRLegal – Software Licenses Explained in Plain English
PRTG’s Software Licenses and Price List
[PDF]TA 15-19 Software Licenses Available – California
Software metering External links:
Introduction to Software Metering in Configuration Manager
LicenseAnalyzer for Software Metering & IT Chargeback
Software Metering – Configuration Manager | Microsoft Docs
Software piracy External links:
Software Piracy legal definition of Software Piracy
How Piracy Affects You – Software Piracy Protection
Software piracy (eBook, 1993) [WorldCat.org]