What is involved in Software asset management
Find out what the related areas are that Software asset management connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Software asset management thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its SAM software asset management journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward SAM software asset management leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Software asset management related domains to cover and 141 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Software asset management, Bring your own device, Business Software Alliance, Business strategy, Central processing unit, Computer network, Discipline, Financial Software, ISO/IEC 19770, ISO 19770, IT asset management, Information Technology Infrastructure Library, Information technology, International Electrotechnical Commission, International Organization for Standardization, Issue tracking, License manager, Productivity, Security policies, Software as a service, Software deployment, Software licenses, Software licensing audit, Software metering, Software piracy, System Centre Configuration Manager:
Software asset management Critical Criteria:
Troubleshoot Software asset management projects and sort Software asset management activities.
– How do we know that any Software asset management analysis is complete and comprehensive?
– Are we Assessing Software asset management and Risk?
Bring your own device Critical Criteria:
Consider Bring your own device management and remodel and develop an effective Bring your own device strategy.
– what is the best design framework for Software asset management organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– Have all basic functions of Software asset management been defined?
– Is a Software asset management Team Work effort in place?
Business Software Alliance Critical Criteria:
Model after Business Software Alliance failures and revise understanding of Business Software Alliance architectures.
– What are our needs in relation to Software asset management skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Software asset management leaders?
– Do we all define Software asset management in the same way?
Business strategy Critical Criteria:
Systematize Business strategy issues and probe Business strategy strategic alliances.
– As a CSP undertakes to build out or take a fresh look at its service offerings, the CSP should clearly define its business strategy and related risk management philosophy. What market segments or industries does the CSP intend to serve?
– How do we provide the context for investment considerations (which services does an investment affect, and how does that fit with the business strategy and priorities?
– Which services does the ITSM investment affect, and how does that fit with the business strategy and priorities?
– What is the link between a firms business strategy and its capital budgeting process?
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Software asset management processes?
– What is your it asset management program. is it manual or automated (which vendor)?
– How to get alignment between business strategy and IT infrastructure?
– Is there any existing Software asset management governance structure?
– What should be done in-house and what should be outsourced?
– Are outcomes in line with business strategy?
– What is the overall business strategy?
Central processing unit Critical Criteria:
Co-operate on Central processing unit strategies and report on developing an effective Central processing unit strategy.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Software asset management is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– How do mission and objectives affect the Software asset management processes of our organization?
– Which Software asset management goals are the most important?
Computer network Critical Criteria:
Pilot Computer network adoptions and acquire concise Computer network education.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Software asset management into the services that we provide?
– Is the illegal entry into a private computer network a crime in your country?
– Will Software asset management deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
Discipline Critical Criteria:
Reorganize Discipline strategies and grade techniques for implementing Discipline controls.
– Are the various points of view (in terms of discipline, work experience, and diversity) relevant to the task at hand adequately represented so that informed, intelligent decisions will be made?
– What is the discipline for managing sole-authority data as one logical source with defined updating rules for physical data residing on different platforms?
– With the increasing adoption of cloud computing do you think enterprise architecture as a discipline will become more or less important to us and why?
– What is the discipline for managing replicated data, which is derived from operational sole-authority data?
– Should the dataset be deposited in a national, international or discipline-based data center?
– How will you know that the Software asset management project has been successful?
– Who will provide the final approval of Software asset management deliverables?
– In which discipline will you likely purchase new tools to accelerate DevOps?
– Why has systems engineering emerged as a distinct discipline?
– Are young people majoring in disciplines you need, or not?
– What is and why Disciplined Agile Delivery (DAD)?
– What assets benefit from the discipline of itam?
– How do disciplined agile teams work at scale?
– How does that compare to other science disciplines?
Financial Software Critical Criteria:
Chart Financial Software failures and stake your claim.
– Which customers cant participate in our Software asset management domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Software asset management leader?
ISO/IEC 19770 Critical Criteria:
Investigate ISO/IEC 19770 adoptions and ask questions.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Software asset management in a volatile global economy?
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Software asset management moving forward?
ISO 19770 Critical Criteria:
Check ISO 19770 outcomes and oversee implementation of ISO 19770.
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Software asset management ?
– Are assumptions made in Software asset management stated explicitly?
IT asset management Critical Criteria:
Own IT asset management issues and shift your focus.
– What are the key differences between ITAM IT asset management and ITSM IT service management?
– What processes do we have in place to determine our risk exposure?
– Can you identify all your it hardware and software locations?
– What assets are being used with it (software, components)?
– What are the request tracking needs of our organization?
– What is our policy around the distribution of software?
– How do we determine who is entitled to what software?
– Are we prepared to respond to a software audit?
– Have your assets gone into hiding?
– Why investigate other systems?
– Anything managed by it staff?
– What is it asset management ?
– Which assets need managing?
– What is the configuration?
– Who can initiate changes?
– It assets -what are they?
– What is an it asset?
– Who is using it?
Information Technology Infrastructure Library Critical Criteria:
Brainstorm over Information Technology Infrastructure Library failures and secure Information Technology Infrastructure Library creativity.
– How do we Identify specific Software asset management investment and emerging trends?
– How do we maintain Software asset managements Integrity?
Information technology Critical Criteria:
Audit Information technology issues and diversify disclosure of information – dealing with confidential Information technology information.
– Do the response plans address damage assessment, site restoration, payroll, Human Resources, information technology, and administrative support?
– Does your company have defined information technology risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported to management on a regular basis?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– Think about the functions involved in your Software asset management project. what processes flow from these functions?
– How does new information technology come to be applied and diffused among firms?
– The difference between data/information and information technology (it)?
– Does Software asset management appropriately measure and monitor risk?
– When do you ask for help from Information Technology (IT)?
International Electrotechnical Commission Critical Criteria:
Reason over International Electrotechnical Commission visions and handle a jump-start course to International Electrotechnical Commission.
– What is the source of the strategies for Software asset management strengthening and reform?
– How do we measure improved Software asset management service perception, and satisfaction?
– What are current Software asset management Paradigms?
International Organization for Standardization Critical Criteria:
Nurse International Organization for Standardization issues and pay attention to the small things.
– What are internal and external Software asset management relations?
– How do we keep improving Software asset management?
Issue tracking Critical Criteria:
Transcribe Issue tracking leadership and raise human resource and employment practices for Issue tracking.
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Software asset management project?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Software asset management effort?
License manager Critical Criteria:
Accumulate License manager projects and spearhead techniques for implementing License manager.
– Is Software asset management Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
Productivity Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect Productivity quality and look in other fields.
– Management buy-in is a concern. Many program managers are worried that upper-level management would ask for progress reports and productivity metrics that would be hard to gather in an Agile work environment. Management ignorance of Agile methodologies is also a worry. Will Agile advantages be able to overcome the well-known existing problems in software development?
– Agile project management with Scrum derives from best business practices in companies like Fuji-Xerox, Honda, Canon, and Toyota. Toyota routinely achieves four times the productivity and 12 times the quality of competitors. Can Scrum do the same for globally distributed teams?
– When we try to quantify Systems Engineering in terms of capturing productivity (i.e., size/effort) data to incorporate into a parametric model, what size measure captures the amount of intellectual work performed by the systems engineer?
– Scrums productivity stems from doing the right things first and doing those things very effectively. The product owner queues up the right work by prioritizing the product backlog. How does the team maximize its productivity, though?
– How do you measure the Operational performance of your key work systems and processes, including productivity, cycle time, and other appropriate measures of process effectiveness, efficiency, and innovation?
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Software asset management processes?
– How do you use other indicators, such as workforce retention, absenteeism, grievances, safety, and productivity, to assess and improve workforce engagement?
– What are the disruptive Software asset management technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– Does Software asset management create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– Is employee productivity degraded because it is too difficult to gain and maintain system access?
– What are strategies that we can undertake to reduce job fatigue and reduced productivity?
– What are the most effective ways for us to improve the productivity of our sales force?
– Have the types of risks that may impact Software asset management been identified and analyzed?
– How many dependences affect the productivity of each activity?
– What are ways that employee productivity can be measured?
– How many external interfaces affect the productivity?
– How many constraints affect the productivity?
– How do we improve productivity?
Security policies Critical Criteria:
Gauge Security policies projects and display thorough understanding of the Security policies process.
– Does the IT Security system require end-users to configure and maintain security policies, security professionals to individually manage policies per host, or is the configuration centrally managed?
– Are information security policies, including policies for access control, application and system development, operational, network and physical security, formally documented?
– Are information security policies and other relevant security information disseminated to all system users (including vendors, contractors, and business partners)?
– How do you ensure that security policies are accurately and fully implemented across the cloud architectures you are using and buying into?
– Are employees required to sign an agreement verifying they have read and understood the security policies and procedures?
– How does the service providers security policies (e.g. contingency planning) differ from that of the organization?
– Are we requesting exemption from or modification to established information security policies or standards?
– Does the firm have appropriate IT security policies governing user access that are effectively implemented?
– Are our employees following the security policies and procedures that are in place such as secure data disposal?
– Are information security policies reviewed at least once a year and updated as needed?
– How do we capture corporate security policies and incorporate them into the system?
– Is the compliance of systems with organization security policies and standards ensured?
– Do Software asset management rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
– Are we complying with existing security policies?
– Who sets the Software asset management standards?
– What threat is Software asset management addressing?
Software as a service Critical Criteria:
Add value to Software as a service results and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive Software as a service projects.
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Software asset management with what users do day-to-day?
– Why are Service Level Agreements a dying breed in the software as a service industry?
– What are our Software asset management Processes?
Software deployment Critical Criteria:
Guide Software deployment adoptions and change contexts.
– Why is Software asset management important for you now?
Software licenses Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Software licenses failures and report on the economics of relationships managing Software licenses and constraints.
– Does Software asset management include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– What implementation technologies/resources (e.g., programming languages, development platforms, software licenses) does the provider support?
– Is there a Software asset management Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– Is Supporting Software asset management documentation required?
Software licensing audit Critical Criteria:
Brainstorm over Software licensing audit leadership and budget for Software licensing audit challenges.
– Is Software asset management dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
Software metering Critical Criteria:
Value Software metering adoptions and report on the economics of relationships managing Software metering and constraints.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Software asset management services/products?
– What are the Essentials of Internal Software asset management Management?
– Is Software asset management Required?
Software piracy Critical Criteria:
Experiment with Software piracy planning and track iterative Software piracy results.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Software asset management processes?
– Think of your Software asset management project. what are the main functions?
System Centre Configuration Manager Critical Criteria:
Graph System Centre Configuration Manager quality and mentor System Centre Configuration Manager customer orientation.
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding Software asset management?
– What are the usability implications of Software asset management actions?
– Is the scope of Software asset management defined?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the SAM software asset management Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Software asset management External links:
Software Asset Management | ServiceNow
Software Asset Management, Licensing & Consulting …
Software Asset Management Tool Evaluation | …
Bring your own device External links:
What is BYOD Bring Your Own Device? Webopedia Definition
The Legal Side of Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) – Parr …
[PDF]Bring Your Own Device – Alberta Education
Business Software Alliance External links:
Business Software Alliance – SourceWatch
Business Software Alliance (BSA) Audits by Attorney …
Business strategy External links:
Business Strategy Manager Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
Business strategy (Book, 2015) [WorldCat.org]
AT&T Business Strategy :: Strategic Management
Central processing unit External links:
What is Central Processing Unit (CPU)? Webopedia
Central processing unit
A central processing unit (CPU) is the electronic circuitry within a computer that carries out the instructions of a computer program by performing the basic arithmetic, logical, control and input/output (I/O) operations specified by the instructions. The term has been used in the computer industry at least since the early 1960s.
Computer network External links:
Computer Networks – Journal – Elsevier
Discipline External links:
Lawyer Discipline | North Carolina State Bar
1-2-3 Magic – Positive Parenting | Effective Child Discipline
Positive Discipline | Dr. Jane Nelsen
Financial Software External links:
Eden ERP | Financial Software | Tyler Technologies
C3 HOA Property Management & Financial Software Solution
ISO/IEC 19770 External links:
International standards in the ISO/IEC 19770 family of standards for IT asset management (ITAM) address both the processes and technology for managing software assets and related IT assets. Broadly speaking, the standard family belongs to the set of Software Asset Management (or SAM) standards and is integrated with other Management System Standards.
ISO/IEC 19770 – Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
IT asset management External links:
Flexera – IT Asset Management, Software Monetization, …
IT Asset Management, Disposition & Recycling | Ombligo
Clarabyte – Data Destruction & IT Asset Management
Information Technology Infrastructure Library External links:
[PDF]Information Technology Infrastructure Library – ITIL®
Information technology External links:
New York State Office of Information Technology Services
Information Technology at Purdue
Information Technology Security Consultants | TrustedSec
International Electrotechnical Commission External links:
IEC – International Electrotechnical Commission – …
International Organization for Standardization External links:
ISO – International Organization for Standardization
MDMC – International Organization for Standardization …
ISO – International Organization for Standardization
Issue tracking External links:
System Dashboard – GLI Issue Tracking
System Dashboard – Kapsch Software Issue Tracking System
Issue Tracking Demo
License manager External links:
HP Software License Manager
Productivity External links:
Orchard Medical Consulting – Getting you back to productivity
Microsoft Office | Productivity Tools for Home & Office
5 Dynamics – Human Performance System For Team Productivity
Security policies External links:
IT Security Policies | IT Help Desk
Online Security Policies | Principal
Using security policies to restrict NTLM traffic
Software as a service External links:
Software as a Service – Banking Solutions | FinReach
What is SaaS? 10 FAQs About Software as a Service
Software as a Service | Accenture
Software deployment External links:
Software Deployment Testing – University of Nevada, Reno
AprelTech – Software Deployment
Software licenses External links:
PRTG’s Software Licenses and Price List
UAB – Information Technology – Software Licenses
Available Software Licenses | The City College of New York
Software metering External links:
How to Create Software Metering Rules in Configuration Manager
Software Metering – Configuration Manager | Microsoft Docs
Software piracy External links:
What Is Software Piracy? | Techwalla.com
How Piracy Affects You – Software Piracy Protection