What is involved in Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM
Find out what the related areas are that Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM related domains to cover and 145 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM, Data center infrastructure management, BMC Software, CA Technologies, Capacity planning, Cloud computing, Computational fluid dynamics, Critical Capabilities report, Data Center Energy Productivity, Data center, Data center infrastructure efficiency, Data center predictive modeling, Efficient energy use, Equinix, Facilities management, Gartner Research, Green IT, Hardware virtualization, Hewlett-Packard, IT infrastructure, Information technology, Magic Quadrant, Power usage effectiveness, Provisioning, Server, Tivoli Software:
Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM Critical Criteria:
Systematize Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM outcomes and look in other fields.
– When a Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
– Why should we adopt a Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM framework?
Data center infrastructure management Critical Criteria:
Probe Data center infrastructure management risks and display thorough understanding of the Data center infrastructure management process.
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM processes?
– Why is Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM important for you now?
– Why are Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM skills important?
BMC Software Critical Criteria:
Understand BMC Software tactics and find answers.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM strengthening and reform actually originate?
CA Technologies Critical Criteria:
Unify CA Technologies failures and gather practices for scaling CA Technologies.
– Consider your own Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– Do the Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
– How would one define Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM leadership?
Capacity planning Critical Criteria:
Guide Capacity planning visions and give examples utilizing a core of simple Capacity planning skills.
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM forward?
– What are some strategies for capacity planning for big data processing and cloud computing?
– How to deal with Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM Changes?
Cloud computing Critical Criteria:
Mine Cloud computing goals and explore and align the progress in Cloud computing.
– Time to market improvements. Will the move to cloud computing shorten the time it takes to deliver functional enhancements to end users?
– Provider viability: what happens to your organizations applications and data in the event that the provider goes out of business?
– What are some common barriers to exiting transitioning from a cloud computing service provider and how can they be addressed?
– How will technology advancements in soa, virtualization and cloud computing further and enable saas adoption?
– Are the risks associated with cloud computing actually higher than the risks enterprises are facing today?
– How can a small cloud computing consultancy take advantage of the Federal Cloud Computing Strategy?
– How do you prove data provenance in a cloud computing scenario when you are using shared resources?
– Recoverability: how will the service provider respond to disasters and ensure continued service?
– What are the implications of cloud computing to enterprise application integration?
– what is the difference between an application service and an infrastructure service?
– Is there any application left that does not talk to at least one of its fellows?
– Will cloud computing lead to a reduction in it expenditure?
– What defines a true cloud solution versus the quasi cloud?
– Is cloud computing affecting traditional hardware vendors?
– What are the practical limitations to cloud technology?
– How is cloud computing related to web analytics?
– What is scalability and why is it important?
– Can we accelerate DevOps with Hybrid Cloud?
– Will database virtualization take off?
– Why is cloud computing important?
Computational fluid dynamics Critical Criteria:
Reason over Computational fluid dynamics tactics and develop and take control of the Computational fluid dynamics initiative.
– Who will provide the final approval of Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM deliverables?
– How do we Lead with Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM in Mind?
Critical Capabilities report Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect Critical Capabilities report governance and track iterative Critical Capabilities report results.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– How do we go about Comparing Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM approaches/solutions?
– How do we maintain Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIMs Integrity?
Data Center Energy Productivity Critical Criteria:
Model after Data Center Energy Productivity strategies and point out Data Center Energy Productivity tensions in leadership.
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM?
– Is there any existing Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM governance structure?
– Does our organization need more Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM education?
Data center Critical Criteria:
Think about Data center goals and get the big picture.
– Fog Computing is internet computing where the devices responsible for the computing surround us. Instead of having a data center where all of the processing and storage occurs, fog computing would allow us to bring the devices closer to us and these devices would be responsible for their own processing and storage. So how does this concept help us deal with the problems created by the IoT, and what benefits would this provide us that upgrading the cloud infrastructure couldnt?
– Are we a listed company, if so ask ourselves this: Disaster recovery planning, or its lack, will affect a companys equity position. why buy stock in a company that will disappear should the data center go down?
– An administrator of a virtualized data center is particularly concerned about nic failure. what should the administrator configure to address this concern?
– Determine if the data center has Service Level Agreements with the clients it serves. if so, do they measure themselves for compliance with the agreement?
– What are the specific security and integrity threats to cloud computing storage systems that do not exist in private data centers?
– Does the cloud solution offer equal or greater data security capabilities than those provided by your organizations data center?
– Does Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM process?
– Do operating procedures require systems to undergo a security/vulnerability scan before being placed into production?
– Which data center management activity involves eliminating single points of failure to ensure business continuity?
– Which applications are best suited for the internal data center, and which ones make sense for the public cloud?
– Do any countries force cloud based companies to house data within that countrys data centers?
– Should the dataset be deposited in a national, international or discipline-based data center?
– Is stuff in the cloud on the same legal footing as stuff in your data center?
– Is the priority of system restores documented in the disaster recovery plan?
– Is a Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM Team Work effort in place?
– How many and where are located the providers data centers?
– How do you prepare your data center for Cloud?
– Why should data center elements be monitored?
– How many data center sites do you have?
Data center infrastructure efficiency Critical Criteria:
Start Data center infrastructure efficiency tactics and drive action.
– How do we know that any Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM analysis is complete and comprehensive?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM?
– What are the usability implications of Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM actions?
Data center predictive modeling Critical Criteria:
Unify Data center predictive modeling risks and balance specific methods for improving Data center predictive modeling results.
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM activities?
– What are our Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM Processes?
Efficient energy use Critical Criteria:
Study Efficient energy use engagements and give examples utilizing a core of simple Efficient energy use skills.
– Is the Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
– What will drive Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM change?
Equinix Critical Criteria:
Reason over Equinix leadership and ask what if.
– How can skill-level changes improve Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM?
– How do we keep improving Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM?
Facilities management Critical Criteria:
Brainstorm over Facilities management engagements and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Facilities management.
– What are our needs in relation to Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– What are all of our Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM domains and what do they do?
Gartner Research Critical Criteria:
Refer to Gartner Research goals and point out improvements in Gartner Research.
– In what ways are Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– Who needs to know about Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM ?
– What about Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM Analysis of results?
Green IT Critical Criteria:
Examine Green IT projects and test out new things.
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM?
– Are there Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM problems defined?
– Are we Assessing Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM and Risk?
– Have we included Green IT goals in the defined service levels?
Hardware virtualization Critical Criteria:
Derive from Hardware virtualization strategies and secure Hardware virtualization creativity.
– Is there a Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– Have the types of risks that may impact Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM been identified and analyzed?
Hewlett-Packard Critical Criteria:
Graph Hewlett-Packard decisions and remodel and develop an effective Hewlett-Packard strategy.
– Will Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM activities?
– How do we Identify specific Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM investment and emerging trends?
IT infrastructure Critical Criteria:
Confer over IT infrastructure tasks and improve IT infrastructure service perception.
– Does Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– Can we achieve even more efficient utilization of software and hardware within mission systems and IT infrastructure investments?
– What IT infrastructure do we have and what do we need to support the future organization needs?
– In which area(s) do data integration and BI, as part of Fusion Middleware, help our IT infrastructure?
– How to get alignment between business strategy and IT infrastructure?
Information technology Critical Criteria:
Probe Information technology decisions and acquire concise Information technology education.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– Does your company have defined information technology risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported to management on a regular basis?
– Do the response plans address damage assessment, site restoration, payroll, Human Resources, information technology, and administrative support?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– What are the business goals Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM is aiming to achieve?
– How does new information technology come to be applied and diffused among firms?
– The difference between data/information and information technology (it)?
– When do you ask for help from Information Technology (IT)?
Magic Quadrant Critical Criteria:
Revitalize Magic Quadrant quality and track iterative Magic Quadrant results.
– Think about the functions involved in your Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM project. what processes flow from these functions?
– In a project to restructure Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM study?
Power usage effectiveness Critical Criteria:
Group Power usage effectiveness failures and report on developing an effective Power usage effectiveness strategy.
– For your Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– How do we measure improved Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM service perception, and satisfaction?
Provisioning Critical Criteria:
Look at Provisioning management and interpret which customers can’t participate in Provisioning because they lack skills.
– Are the SaaS provider capabilities sufficient to automate user provisioning and life cycle management without implementing a custom solution for the SaaS service?
– Which cloud deployment model enables to provisioning the cloud infrastructure for exclusive use by organizations that have shared concerns?
– How can I automatically provision user accounts with cloud services and automate the process of provisoning and deprovisioning?
– Can your saas application provisioning system integrate with existing on-premise Identity and Access Management systems?
– Expose its policy engine via web services for use by third-party systems (e.g. provisioning, help desk solutions)?
– Are user identities performing all of the functions granted to them through the provisioning process?
– Does a provisioning solution support integration with our on-premise identity repository?
– Should encryption be used to protect sensitive information in transit and storage?
– Provisioning How is access granted, monitored, and removed within the environment?
– What could europe gain by become a world leading trusted cloud region?
– Can Cloud processes or functions be manipulated by an outsider?
– What is the importance of standards-based cloud computing?
– What is our Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM Strategy?
– Is the cloud provider ensuring where data is hosted?
– Are the on-premises solutions completely secure?
– Resource provisioning algos in cloud computing?
– Are hybrid clouds in our future?
– What is data, what is metadata?
Server Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Server issues and achieve a single Server view and bringing data together.
– New objects as the plethora of different device types, devices, gateways and IoT platforms need to be maintained because they are decentralized trust servers of the organizations using them. Management and governance enables organizations to meet both compliance and business requirements. Will your IAM system handle the increased number of relationships between users, devices, services and policies?
– We keep records about our employees; partners and their employees from around the world. Records are stored on servers in the USA using SAP and Microsoft Cloud (not sure where these MS Cloud servers are located). What are our duties to protect data when servers are out of our reach?
– For any workstation or server entered, have you received a completed hopkins hosted application checklist (see appendix) or equivalent certification or documentation?
– How to ensure high data availability in mobile computing environment where frequent disconnections may occur because the clients and server may be weakly connected?
– Does the tool we use have the ability to integrate with Enterprise Active Directory Servers to determine users and build user, role, and business unit policies?
– How do you ensure that systems and applications are appropriately and sufficiently isolated and protecting against malicious server to server communication?
– Do server configuration and management follow a build and/or configuration checklist approved by the hopkins icsc (e.g. windows server security standards)?
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM leader?
– Which of my servers are capable of migrating to Windows Server 2008 R2, or can be virtualized using Hyper-V?
– What is the security gap between private cloud cloud computing versus client server computing architectures?
– Is your organizations business affected by regulatory restrictions on data/servers localisation requirements?
– Do we know what we have specified in continuity of operations plans and disaster recovery plans?
– Are all servers actively monitored and access logged and monitored through [email protected] systems center?
– Which regulations state that server and audit logs must be stored on a central logging server?
– What is your approach to server analytics and community analytics for program measurement?
– How does a domain name server balance client traffic across a cluster of servers?
– How can you measure Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM in a systematic way?
– Have the servers gone through vulnerability scanning?
– Is disaster recovery server in scope?
Tivoli Software Critical Criteria:
Value Tivoli Software tactics and optimize Tivoli Software leadership as a key to advancement.
– How do we manage Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM Knowledge Management (KM)?
– What are the Essentials of Internal Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM Management?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Data center infrastructure management External links:
BMC Software External links:
Remedy 9 – IT Service Management Suite – BMC Software
BMC Software Salaries | CareerBliss
Request Deal Registration Access – BMC Software
CA Technologies External links:
Jobs at CA Technologies | Ladders
CA Technologies – Home | Facebook
Learning Paths – CA Technologies
Capacity planning External links:
Capacity planning | Microsoft Docs
Capacity Planning for Computer Systems – ScienceDirect
Log in – Capacity Planning Tool – All Covered
Cloud computing External links:
Microsoft Azure Cloud Computing Platform & Services
Compliant Cloud Computing Simplified – Lumen21
Computational fluid dynamics External links:
Computational fluid dynamics (Book, 2010) [WorldCat.org]
Computational Fluid Dynamics. (eBook, 2010) …
Critical Capabilities report External links:
AppNeta Soars in Gartner 2016 Critical Capabilities Report
Decentralized Analytics – Gartner Critical Capabilities Report
Data Center Energy Productivity External links:
DCEP: Data Center Energy Productivity – 42U
Implementing the data center energy productivity metric
Data center External links:
National Oceanographic Data Center Home Page
Open Data Portal | NJOIT Open Data Center
ADE Data Center – Home
Data center infrastructure efficiency External links:
Data Center Infrastructure Efficiency (DCIE) is one of the popular performance improvement metrics used to calculate the energy or power efficiency of a datacenter.
Data center predictive modeling External links:
[PDF]Data Center Predictive Modeling – cfroundtable.org
Efficient energy use External links:
Jevons’ Paradox and the Perils of Efficient Energy Use
Efficient Energy Use | The Costa Rica News
Equinix External links:
EQUINIX CUSTOMER PORTAL
EQIX Equinix Inc XNAS:EQIX Stock Quote Price News
Facilities management External links:
Facilities Management (Twin Cities)
Home | Facilities Management | West Virginia University
Home | Construction & Facilities Management
Gartner Research External links:
Gartner Research – Home, University of Cincinnati
Gartner Research – AITS
Green IT External links:
Visit The Home Depot to buy Green it Organic Lawn in a Box 270
Green IT – GSA
IT infrastructure External links:
The term infrastructure in an information technology (IT) context refers to an enterprise’s entire collection of hardware, software, networks, data centers, facilities and related equipment used to develop, test, operate, monitor, manage and/or support information technology services.
What is IT Infrastructure? – Definition from Techopedia
Chef – Automate IT Infrastructure | Chef
Information technology External links:
Umail | University Information Technology Services
OHIO: Office of Information Technology |About Email
Rebelmail | UNLV Office of Information Technology (OIT)
Magic Quadrant External links:
Zoom – A Leader in Gartner Magic Quadrant
Power usage effectiveness External links:
Power Usage Effectiveness – PUE – Data Clean
Power usage effectiveness in data centers: overloaded …
Provisioning External links:
[PDF]INITIAL PROVISIONING AND SPARE PARTS …
Server External links:
Chase – IIS Windows Server
Tivoli Software External links:
IBM – Tivoli Software – CDW
IBM – Tivoli Software – CDW•G