What is involved in Lean Manufacturing
Find out what the related areas are that Lean Manufacturing connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Lean Manufacturing thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Lean Manufacturing journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Lean Manufacturing leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Lean Manufacturing related domains to cover and 156 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Lean Manufacturing, 5 Whys, A3 Problem Solving, Agent-assisted Automation, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Cargo cult science, Cellular manufacturing, Continuous-flow manufacturing, Control charts, Cycle time variation, Design for Manufacture, Efficiency Movement, Factory Physics, Fixed Repeating Schedule, Genichi Taguchi, Heijunka box, Industrial engineering, Interchangeable parts, International Motor Vehicle Program, Ishikawa diagram, Just-in-time manufacturing, Just In Time, Key performance indicator, Kiichiro Toyoda, Library of Congress Control Number, MIT Sloan School of Management, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Overall equipment effectiveness, Poor Richard’s Almanack, Principles of Scientific Management, Production flow analysis, Production leveling, Research and development, Sakichi Toyoda, Scientific management, Scientific method, Shigeo Shingo, Single-Minute Exchange of Die, Six Sigma, Spaghetti plot, Taguchi Loss Function, Taiichi Ohno, Takt time, The Machine That Changed the World, The Toyota Way, The Way to Wealth, Total productive maintenance, Toyota Production System, Value Stream Mapping, W. Edwards Deming, Work in process:
Lean Manufacturing Critical Criteria:
Concentrate on Lean Manufacturing tasks and probe using an integrated framework to make sure Lean Manufacturing is getting what it needs.
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Lean Manufacturing leaders?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Lean Manufacturing requirements in detail?
– What is Effective Lean Manufacturing?
5 Whys Critical Criteria:
Consult on 5 Whys planning and clarify ways to gain access to competitive 5 Whys services.
– What vendors make products that address the Lean Manufacturing needs?
– Does our organization need more Lean Manufacturing education?
– Does Lean Manufacturing appropriately measure and monitor risk?
A3 Problem Solving Critical Criteria:
Reason over A3 Problem Solving failures and cater for concise A3 Problem Solving education.
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Lean Manufacturing with what users do day-to-day?
– Have you identified your Lean Manufacturing key performance indicators?
– Do we all define Lean Manufacturing in the same way?
Agent-assisted Automation Critical Criteria:
Probe Agent-assisted Automation governance and balance specific methods for improving Agent-assisted Automation results.
– What are the disruptive Lean Manufacturing technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– Is Lean Manufacturing Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Lean Manufacturing?
American Society of Mechanical Engineers Critical Criteria:
Accommodate American Society of Mechanical Engineers failures and revise understanding of American Society of Mechanical Engineers architectures.
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Lean Manufacturing leader?
– How do we manage Lean Manufacturing Knowledge Management (KM)?
Cargo cult science Critical Criteria:
Detail Cargo cult science tasks and check on ways to get started with Cargo cult science.
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding Lean Manufacturing?
Cellular manufacturing Critical Criteria:
Investigate Cellular manufacturing results and suggest using storytelling to create more compelling Cellular manufacturing projects.
– Consider your own Lean Manufacturing project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Lean Manufacturing is underway?
Continuous-flow manufacturing Critical Criteria:
Reason over Continuous-flow manufacturing tactics and develop and take control of the Continuous-flow manufacturing initiative.
– Does Lean Manufacturing include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– Can we do Lean Manufacturing without complex (expensive) analysis?
Control charts Critical Criteria:
Design Control charts goals and pay attention to the small things.
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Lean Manufacturing project manager?
– What are the Key enablers to make this Lean Manufacturing move?
Cycle time variation Critical Criteria:
Experiment with Cycle time variation failures and integrate design thinking in Cycle time variation innovation.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Lean Manufacturing process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Lean Manufacturing process available?
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Lean Manufacturing strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– Is the scope of Lean Manufacturing defined?
Design for Manufacture Critical Criteria:
Participate in Design for Manufacture strategies and correct Design for Manufacture management by competencies.
– Will Lean Manufacturing deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
– Have all basic functions of Lean Manufacturing been defined?
– Are there Lean Manufacturing problems defined?
Efficiency Movement Critical Criteria:
Group Efficiency Movement governance and pay attention to the small things.
– How can you negotiate Lean Manufacturing successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– How to Secure Lean Manufacturing?
Factory Physics Critical Criteria:
Survey Factory Physics results and probe the present value of growth of Factory Physics.
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Lean Manufacturing agendas for the next 3 years?
– What are the usability implications of Lean Manufacturing actions?
– What are the long-term Lean Manufacturing goals?
Fixed Repeating Schedule Critical Criteria:
Survey Fixed Repeating Schedule risks and define what do we need to start doing with Fixed Repeating Schedule.
– In a project to restructure Lean Manufacturing outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– To what extent does management recognize Lean Manufacturing as a tool to increase the results?
Genichi Taguchi Critical Criteria:
Sort Genichi Taguchi governance and suggest using storytelling to create more compelling Genichi Taguchi projects.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Lean Manufacturing services/products?
– What is the total cost related to deploying Lean Manufacturing, including any consulting or professional services?
– How can skill-level changes improve Lean Manufacturing?
Heijunka box Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect Heijunka box tactics and describe the risks of Heijunka box sustainability.
– How will you know that the Lean Manufacturing project has been successful?
Industrial engineering Critical Criteria:
Categorize Industrial engineering governance and don’t overlook the obvious.
– Will Lean Manufacturing have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– Who will provide the final approval of Lean Manufacturing deliverables?
– What about Lean Manufacturing Analysis of results?
Interchangeable parts Critical Criteria:
Consult on Interchangeable parts goals and know what your objective is.
– For your Lean Manufacturing project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– How do we ensure that implementations of Lean Manufacturing products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Lean Manufacturing objectives?
International Motor Vehicle Program Critical Criteria:
Guard International Motor Vehicle Program quality and check on ways to get started with International Motor Vehicle Program.
– How important is Lean Manufacturing to the user organizations mission?
Ishikawa diagram Critical Criteria:
Shape Ishikawa diagram tasks and stake your claim.
– Is maximizing Lean Manufacturing protection the same as minimizing Lean Manufacturing loss?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Lean Manufacturing that make it risky?
– Why is Customer Service substandard?
Just-in-time manufacturing Critical Criteria:
Discourse Just-in-time manufacturing tasks and check on ways to get started with Just-in-time manufacturing.
– How do we go about Securing Lean Manufacturing?
Just In Time Critical Criteria:
Brainstorm over Just In Time goals and know what your objective is.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Lean Manufacturing processes?
– Think of your Lean Manufacturing project. what are the main functions?
– What threat is Lean Manufacturing addressing?
Key performance indicator Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate Key performance indicator governance and attract Key performance indicator skills.
– What is the importance of knowing the key performance indicators KPIs for a business process when trying to implement a business intelligence system?
– Choosing good key performance indicators (KPI Key Performance Indicators) did we start from the question How do you measure a companys success?
– What is the difference between Key Performance Indicators KPI and Critical Success Factors CSF in a Business Strategic decision?
– Kpi key performance indicators opportunities. are there opportunities to use the field/table to measure performance?
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Lean Manufacturing? There might be some that are less obvious?
– Which are the key performance indicators for Customer Service?
Kiichiro Toyoda Critical Criteria:
Check Kiichiro Toyoda governance and handle a jump-start course to Kiichiro Toyoda.
– Does Lean Manufacturing systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
Library of Congress Control Number Critical Criteria:
Start Library of Congress Control Number planning and adopt an insight outlook.
– How likely is the current Lean Manufacturing plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
– Do the Lean Manufacturing decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
MIT Sloan School of Management Critical Criteria:
Merge MIT Sloan School of Management adoptions and define what our big hairy audacious MIT Sloan School of Management goal is.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Lean Manufacturing in a volatile global economy?
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Lean Manufacturing is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
National Institute of Standards and Technology Critical Criteria:
Accommodate National Institute of Standards and Technology results and adjust implementation of National Institute of Standards and Technology.
– Have the types of risks that may impact Lean Manufacturing been identified and analyzed?
– How to deal with Lean Manufacturing Changes?
Overall equipment effectiveness Critical Criteria:
Align Overall equipment effectiveness decisions and correct better engagement with Overall equipment effectiveness results.
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Lean Manufacturing values?
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Lean Manufacturing project?
Poor Richard’s Almanack Critical Criteria:
Consult on Poor Richard’s Almanack results and document what potential Poor Richard’s Almanack megatrends could make our business model obsolete.
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Lean Manufacturing delivery for example is new software needed?
– What are current Lean Manufacturing Paradigms?
Principles of Scientific Management Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate Principles of Scientific Management quality and grade techniques for implementing Principles of Scientific Management controls.
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Lean Manufacturing objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
Production flow analysis Critical Criteria:
Talk about Production flow analysis governance and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Production flow analysis.
– Do we monitor the Lean Manufacturing decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
Production leveling Critical Criteria:
Boost Production leveling failures and explain and analyze the challenges of Production leveling.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Lean Manufacturing. How do we gain traction?
Research and development Critical Criteria:
Focus on Research and development strategies and integrate design thinking in Research and development innovation.
– A dramatic step toward becoming a learning organization is to appoint a chief training officer (CTO) or a chief learning officer (CLO). Many organizations claim to value Human Resources, but how many have a Human Resources representative involved in discussions about research and development commercialization, new product development, the strategic vision of the company, or increasing shareholder value?
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Lean Manufacturing project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– A vital question in new product management is: how should the business most effectively invest its research and development (r&d) and new product resources?
– Do we have past Lean Manufacturing Successes?
Sakichi Toyoda Critical Criteria:
Trace Sakichi Toyoda engagements and work towards be a leading Sakichi Toyoda expert.
– Does Lean Manufacturing analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
– What are the barriers to increased Lean Manufacturing production?
– Are there recognized Lean Manufacturing problems?
Scientific management Critical Criteria:
Understand Scientific management strategies and assess and formulate effective operational and Scientific management strategies.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Lean Manufacturing models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– How will you measure your Lean Manufacturing effectiveness?
Scientific method Critical Criteria:
Extrapolate Scientific method results and be persistent.
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Lean Manufacturing study?
Shigeo Shingo Critical Criteria:
Sort Shigeo Shingo quality and proactively manage Shigeo Shingo risks.
– What is the purpose of Lean Manufacturing in relation to the mission?
Single-Minute Exchange of Die Critical Criteria:
Boost Single-Minute Exchange of Die leadership and get out your magnifying glass.
– Among the Lean Manufacturing product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– How can the value of Lean Manufacturing be defined?
Six Sigma Critical Criteria:
Check Six Sigma outcomes and report on developing an effective Six Sigma strategy.
– What process management and improvement tools are we using PDSA/PDCA, ISO 9000, Lean, Balanced Scorecard, Six Sigma, something else?
– What are the short and long-term Lean Manufacturing goals?
– How is Lean Six Sigma different from TOGAF Architecture?
– Who needs to know about Lean Manufacturing ?
Spaghetti plot Critical Criteria:
Deliberate Spaghetti plot issues and acquire concise Spaghetti plot education.
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Lean Manufacturing process?
Taguchi Loss Function Critical Criteria:
Illustrate Taguchi Loss Function engagements and proactively manage Taguchi Loss Function risks.
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Lean Manufacturing?
Taiichi Ohno Critical Criteria:
Powwow over Taiichi Ohno decisions and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Taiichi Ohno.
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Lean Manufacturing process?
Takt time Critical Criteria:
Meet over Takt time goals and summarize a clear Takt time focus.
– Is the Lean Manufacturing organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
The Machine That Changed the World Critical Criteria:
Consider The Machine That Changed the World quality and point out The Machine That Changed the World tensions in leadership.
– How do we know that any Lean Manufacturing analysis is complete and comprehensive?
– How do we Lead with Lean Manufacturing in Mind?
The Toyota Way Critical Criteria:
Huddle over The Toyota Way tactics and find the ideas you already have.
– Are assumptions made in Lean Manufacturing stated explicitly?
– Are there Lean Manufacturing Models?
The Way to Wealth Critical Criteria:
Steer The Way to Wealth outcomes and maintain The Way to Wealth for success.
Total productive maintenance Critical Criteria:
Be clear about Total productive maintenance strategies and transcribe Total productive maintenance as tomorrows backbone for success.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Lean Manufacturing process?
– Is there any existing Lean Manufacturing governance structure?
Toyota Production System Critical Criteria:
Refer to Toyota Production System issues and adjust implementation of Toyota Production System.
– Which Lean Manufacturing goals are the most important?
Value Stream Mapping Critical Criteria:
Win new insights about Value Stream Mapping results and frame using storytelling to create more compelling Value Stream Mapping projects.
– How is the value delivered by Lean Manufacturing being measured?
– Why should we adopt a Lean Manufacturing framework?
W. Edwards Deming Critical Criteria:
Judge W. Edwards Deming engagements and explore and align the progress in W. Edwards Deming.
– Who sets the Lean Manufacturing standards?
– What will drive Lean Manufacturing change?
Work in process Critical Criteria:
Define Work in process issues and ask questions.
– What is the source of the strategies for Lean Manufacturing strengthening and reform?
– When a Lean Manufacturing manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Lean Manufacturing Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Lean Manufacturing External links:
What is Lean? – Lean Manufacturing | LEI | Lean Services
Lean Manufacturing Equipment for Industrial …
5 Whys External links:
5 Whys – Root Cause Analysis – YouTube
[PDF]“The 5 Whys” – Massachusetts Department of …
A3 Problem Solving External links:
A3 Problem Solving Tool – YouTube
A3 Problem Solving: Step 1 – Problem Statement
A3 Problem Solving Intro – YouTube
Agent-assisted Automation External links:
User Events and Agent-Assisted Automation in UiPath – …
Agent-assisted automation is a type of call center technology that automates elements of what the call center agent 1) does with his/her desktop tools and/or 2) says to customers during the call using pre-recorded audio. It is a relatively new category of call center technology that shows promise in improving call center productivity and compliance.
American Society of Mechanical Engineers External links:
AMERICAN SOCIETY OF MECHANICAL ENGINEERS – …
ASME – American Society of Mechanical Engineers
The American Society of Mechanical Engineers – C&S Tools
Cargo cult science External links:
Celts and Cargo Cult Science – YouTube
“Cargo Cult Science” by Richard Feynman – YouTube
Conduct, Misconduct, and Cargo Cult Science
Cellular manufacturing External links:
Cellular Manufacturing – juyuan.store
Cellular Manufacturing. (Book, 2015) [WorldCat.org]
Control charts External links:
How to Create a Control Chart (with Sample Control Charts)
Diabetes Health Control Charts | Diabetes Health
How to Create Control Charts using Minitab 17 – YouTube
Cycle time variation External links:
Cycle time variation – Revolvy
broom02.revolvy.com/topic/Cycle time variation
Design for Manufacture External links:
Design for Manufacture – RMIT University
Factory Physics External links:
Factory physics (Book, 2008) [WorldCat.org]
Factory Physics by Wallace J. Hopp – Goodreads
Our Approach | Factory Physics
Fixed Repeating Schedule External links:
Genichi Taguchi External links:
Genichi Taguchi: Grand-Daddy of Quality – …
ASQ: About: Genichi Taguchi | ASQ
Heijunka box External links:
Heijunka Box in the Lean Lexicon
Heijunka Box | Graphic Products
Heijunka Box – Creative Safety
Industrial engineering External links:
Industrial Engineering & Management
EPIC Systems Inc | Top Industrial Engineering Companies
Sinisi Associates LLC – Industrial Engineering
Interchangeable parts External links:
Interchangeable Parts – Inventions – HISTORY.com
Search Results for interchangeable parts | GLOCK USA
Eli Whitney and Interchangeable Parts | WeaponsMan
International Motor Vehicle Program External links:
[PDF]Presents: The International Motor Vehicle Program …
www4.oakland.edu/upload/docs/CIBRE/v11 IMVP Agenda.pdf
[PDF]International Motor Vehicle Program – dspace.mit.edu
International Motor Vehicle Program [WorldCat Identities]
Just-in-time manufacturing External links:
business – Just-In-Time Manufacturing – Entrepreneur
just-in-time manufacturing (JIT) | business | Britannica.com
Just-in-time manufacturing (Book, 1988) [WorldCat.org]
Just In Time External links:
Just in Time – Disaster Responder Training
Just in Time – AbeBooks
Just In Time Medicine
Key performance indicator External links:
Key Performance Indicator – Office of Institutional Research
KPI Examples – Types of Key Performance Indicators
Key Performance Indicator (KPI) Examples and …
Kiichiro Toyoda External links:
Kiichiro Toyoda Profiles | Facebook
Library of Congress Control Number External links:
Library of Congress Control Number – Archway Publishing
Library of Congress Control Number – iUniverse
CreateSpace Community: Library of congress control number
MIT Sloan School of Management External links:
[PDF]MIT Sloan School of Management
MIT Faculty & Research | MIT Sloan School of Management
National Institute of Standards and Technology External links:
National Institute of Standards and Technology
Overall equipment effectiveness External links:
Overall Equipment Effectiveness – mallyou.store
[PDF]Overall Equipment Effectiveness (OEE) A General …
Overall Equipment Effectiveness (OEE) – Perfect …
Poor Richard’s Almanack External links:
“Poor Richard’s Almanack” Flashcards | Quizlet
30 Money Quotes from Poor Richard’s Almanack – TipHero
Poor Richard’s Almanack Quotes by Benjamin Franklin
Principles of Scientific Management External links:
Principles Of Scientific Management Essays
Production flow analysis External links:
Production Flow Analysis – YouTube
Production Flow Analysis through Value Stream Mapping: …
Production Flow Analysis and Simplification Toolkit …
Production leveling External links:
Heijunka | Production Leveling and Smoothing
Production Leveling Heijunka – University of Kentucky
Research and development External links:
Research And Development Jobs – Apply Now | CareerBuilder
[USC02] 7 USC 1522: Research and development
Research And Development – R&D – Investopedia
Sakichi Toyoda External links:
The story of Sakichi Toyoda. – YouTube
Sakichi Toyoda: Grand-Daddy of Quality – …
Scientific management External links:
Which person developed scientific management and …
Ford and Taylor Scientific Management (Edited) – YouTube
Scientific method External links:
What are the steps to the Scientific Method? – ScienceBob…
The Scientific Method – YouTube
[PDF]Lesson Title: The Scientific Method – Matthew Gudenius
Single-Minute Exchange of Die External links:
[PDF]SMED (Single-Minute Exchange of Die) methodology …
SMED (Single-Minute Exchange of Die) Example – Faster …
Six Sigma External links:
Lean Six Sigma Training & Certification – GoLeanSixSigma…
Online Lean and Six Sigma Training Videos | Gemba Academy
SPC Software for Excel | Six Sigma Software | QI Macros
Spaghetti plot External links:
ESRL : PSD : PSD Map Room: NCEP SPAGHETTI PLOT – F144
52964 – Create a spaghetti plot with the SGPLOT procedure
Taguchi Loss Function External links:
What is Taguchi Loss Function – Lean Manufacturing and …
Taguchi Loss Function and Capability Analysis – QI Macros
Taiichi Ohno External links:
Taiichi Ohno: Grand-Daddy of Quality – …
Takt time External links:
Takt Time in Manufacturing – Vorne
How to Calculate Takt Time in Production Process: 5 Steps
Takt Time in the Lean Lexicon
The Toyota Way External links:
The Way And “The Toyota Way” – Next Gener.Asian Church
Run your startup the Toyota way | TechCrunch
The Toyota Way – SlideShare
The Way to Wealth External links:
The Way to Wealth Flashcards | Quizlet
The Way to Wealth by Benjamin Franklin – FULL …
Total productive maintenance External links:
[PPT]TPM Total Productive Maintenance – EIU
www.eiu.edu/~pingliu/tec5133/resources/fall2008/TPM (group 8).ppt
Total Productive Maintenance (TPM)
Total Productive Maintenance | Graphic Products
Toyota Production System External links:
Toyota Production System (TPS) Terminology
Lean Six Sigma and the Toyota Production System
Toyota Production System in the Lean Lexicon
Value Stream Mapping External links:
SME – Value Stream Mapping
[PDF]Lean and Clean Value Stream Mapping – US EPA
[PDF]Value Stream Mapping at XYZ Company by Madhubala …
W. Edwards Deming External links:
W. Edwards Deming – Part 1 – YouTube
W. Edwards Deming: The 14 Points – YouTube
The W. Edwards Deming Institute – Home | Facebook
Work in process External links:
[PDF]Inventory Summary Work in Process Summary
Work in progress vs work in process – Grammarist
Work in Process | FlowTrac