What is involved in Database Administration
Find out what the related areas are that Database Administration connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Database Administration thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Database Administration journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Database Administration leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Database Administration related domains to cover and 159 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Database Administration, Database forensics, Database machine, Database server, Intelligent database, Database publishing, Database tuning, Client–server model, Distributed computing, Database connection, Database application, Academic certificate, Data Source Name, Computer security, Database abstraction layer, Microsoft Windows, Computer configuration, Database administrator, Database model, Log shipping, Microsoft SQL Server, Computer science, Computer network, Database theory, Database-centric architecture, Entity–relationship model, Database design, Negative database, Associate degree, Relational database management system, Database refactoring, Two-phase locking, Technical support, Information technology, Comparison of database tools, Database preservation, Critical thinking, Operating system, Bachelor’s degree, Database management system, Locks with ordered sharing, Computer data storage, Oracle Corporation, Halloween Problem, System Monitoring, Database caching, Database integrity, Data recovery, Object-relational mapping, Database Administration, Load file, Data migration, Database normalization, Analytical skill, Program optimization, Computer programming, Database virtualization, Database security, Database audit:
Database Administration Critical Criteria:
Deliberate Database Administration projects and point out Database Administration tensions in leadership.
– Rapid application development (rad) techniques have been around for about two decades now and have been used with varying degrees of success. sometimes rad is required for certain projects. but rad can be bad for database design. why?
– Disaster recovery planning, also called contingency planning, is the process of preparing your organizations assets and operations in case of a disaster. but what do we define as a disaster?
– What are our disaster recovery goal prioritazations? Do we want to get the system up as quickly as possible?
– How do we know that any Database Administration analysis is complete and comprehensive?
– Is Database Administration Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
– How do we manage Database Administration Knowledge Management (KM)?
– Who should be called in case of Disaster Recovery?
Database forensics Critical Criteria:
Derive from Database forensics visions and finalize specific methods for Database forensics acceptance.
– What vendors make products that address the Database Administration needs?
– Why is Database Administration important for you now?
– Are we Assessing Database Administration and Risk?
Database machine Critical Criteria:
Map Database machine projects and diversify disclosure of information – dealing with confidential Database machine information.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Database Administration process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Database Administration process available?
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Database Administration leaders?
– How can we improve Database Administration?
Database server Critical Criteria:
Confer over Database server issues and assess and formulate effective operational and Database server strategies.
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Database Administration?
– Are accountability and ownership for Database Administration clearly defined?
– Does the Database Administration task fit the clients priorities?
Intelligent database Critical Criteria:
Deliberate Intelligent database risks and raise human resource and employment practices for Intelligent database.
– Which customers cant participate in our Database Administration domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– What are the disruptive Database Administration technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
Database publishing Critical Criteria:
Mix Database publishing engagements and finalize the present value of growth of Database publishing.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Database Administration product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Database Administration process?
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Database Administration project?
Database tuning Critical Criteria:
Check Database tuning projects and oversee Database tuning requirements.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Database Administration strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– Who sets the Database Administration standards?
Client–server model Critical Criteria:
Own Client–server model strategies and separate what are the business goals Client–server model is aiming to achieve.
– How do mission and objectives affect the Database Administration processes of our organization?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Database Administration opportunities costing us money?
– How do we maintain Database Administrations Integrity?
Distributed computing Critical Criteria:
Reconstruct Distributed computing governance and innovate what needs to be done with Distributed computing.
– To what extent does management recognize Database Administration as a tool to increase the results?
– How will you measure your Database Administration effectiveness?
Database connection Critical Criteria:
Judge Database connection strategies and probe the present value of growth of Database connection.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Database Administration is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– Is Database Administration dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
Database application Critical Criteria:
Accumulate Database application strategies and revise understanding of Database application architectures.
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Database Administration? There might be some that are less obvious?
– Why should we adopt a Database Administration framework?
– What is Effective Database Administration?
Academic certificate Critical Criteria:
Guard Academic certificate visions and frame using storytelling to create more compelling Academic certificate projects.
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Database Administration delivery for example is new software needed?
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our Database Administration agendas for the next 3 years?
Data Source Name Critical Criteria:
Ventilate your thoughts about Data Source Name goals and budget the knowledge transfer for any interested in Data Source Name.
– What are our best practices for minimizing Database Administration project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Database Administration project lifecycle?
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Database Administration? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– How likely is the current Database Administration plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
Computer security Critical Criteria:
Infer Computer security leadership and raise human resource and employment practices for Computer security.
– Does your company provide end-user training to all employees on Cybersecurity, either as part of general staff training or specifically on the topic of computer security and company policy?
– Will the selection of a particular product limit the future choices of other computer security or operational modifications and improvements?
– Will Database Administration deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
– Does our organization need more Database Administration education?
Database abstraction layer Critical Criteria:
Track Database abstraction layer outcomes and look at the big picture.
Microsoft Windows Critical Criteria:
Confer over Microsoft Windows governance and overcome Microsoft Windows skills and management ineffectiveness.
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Database Administration does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– How do we Lead with Database Administration in Mind?
Computer configuration Critical Criteria:
Communicate about Computer configuration strategies and test out new things.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Database Administration services/products?
– How can you negotiate Database Administration successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– What are the long-term Database Administration goals?
Database administrator Critical Criteria:
Apply Database administrator failures and plan concise Database administrator education.
Database model Critical Criteria:
Canvass Database model tasks and finalize specific methods for Database model acceptance.
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Database Administration strengthening and reform actually originate?
– What threat is Database Administration addressing?
Log shipping Critical Criteria:
Add value to Log shipping quality and prioritize challenges of Log shipping.
– What are the short and long-term Database Administration goals?
Microsoft SQL Server Critical Criteria:
Scrutinze Microsoft SQL Server adoptions and devote time assessing Microsoft SQL Server and its risk.
– Can Microsoft SQL Server Express be contacted?
– Are there Database Administration problems defined?
– Why are Database Administration skills important?
Computer science Critical Criteria:
Study Computer science management and assess and formulate effective operational and Computer science strategies.
– Do those selected for the Database Administration team have a good general understanding of what Database Administration is all about?
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Database Administration objectives?
– How is the value delivered by Database Administration being measured?
Computer network Critical Criteria:
Huddle over Computer network tactics and shift your focus.
– Can we add value to the current Database Administration decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– Does Database Administration analysis show the relationships among important Database Administration factors?
– Is the illegal entry into a private computer network a crime in your country?
Database theory Critical Criteria:
Review Database theory tasks and separate what are the business goals Database theory is aiming to achieve.
– Have the types of risks that may impact Database Administration been identified and analyzed?
– How do we Improve Database Administration service perception, and satisfaction?
Database-centric architecture Critical Criteria:
Have a round table over Database-centric architecture planning and innovate what needs to be done with Database-centric architecture.
– Is Database Administration Required?
Entity–relationship model Critical Criteria:
Categorize Entity–relationship model issues and pay attention to the small things.
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Database Administration values?
– Is the scope of Database Administration defined?
Database design Critical Criteria:
Accommodate Database design leadership and catalog what business benefits will Database design goals deliver if achieved.
– What about Database Administration Analysis of results?
Negative database Critical Criteria:
Tête-à-tête about Negative database decisions and devote time assessing Negative database and its risk.
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Database Administration moving forward?
Associate degree Critical Criteria:
Incorporate Associate degree leadership and simulate teachings and consultations on quality process improvement of Associate degree.
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Database Administration leader?
Relational database management system Critical Criteria:
Contribute to Relational database management system decisions and look at the big picture.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Database Administration project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– Does Database Administration create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of Database Administration?
Database refactoring Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate Database refactoring risks and figure out ways to motivate other Database refactoring users.
– What are the Essentials of Internal Database Administration Management?
Two-phase locking Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Two-phase locking outcomes and clarify ways to gain access to competitive Two-phase locking services.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Database Administration in a volatile global economy?
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Database Administration strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– What are specific Database Administration Rules to follow?
Technical support Critical Criteria:
Inquire about Technical support risks and summarize a clear Technical support focus.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Database Administration processes?
– What alternatives do the vendors offer for contacting technical support (e.g., email, telephone, online chat, and web-based reporting)?
– If technical support services are included, what is the vendors commitment to timely response?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Database Administration effort?
Information technology Critical Criteria:
Rank Information technology issues and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive Information technology projects.
– Consider your own Database Administration project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– Do the response plans address damage assessment, site restoration, payroll, Human Resources, information technology, and administrative support?
– Does your company have defined information technology risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported to management on a regular basis?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– In a project to restructure Database Administration outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– How does new information technology come to be applied and diffused among firms?
– The difference between data/information and information technology (it)?
– When do you ask for help from Information Technology (IT)?
Comparison of database tools Critical Criteria:
Revitalize Comparison of database tools engagements and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive Comparison of database tools projects.
– Have all basic functions of Database Administration been defined?
– Are there Database Administration Models?
Database preservation Critical Criteria:
Weigh in on Database preservation risks and frame using storytelling to create more compelling Database preservation projects.
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Database Administration activities?
– Are assumptions made in Database Administration stated explicitly?
Critical thinking Critical Criteria:
Prioritize Critical thinking issues and assess and formulate effective operational and Critical thinking strategies.
– what is the best design framework for Database Administration organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
Operating system Critical Criteria:
Analyze Operating system projects and assess and formulate effective operational and Operating system strategies.
– If the firewall runs on an individual host for which all users are not trusted system administrators, how vulnerable is it to tampering by a user logged into the operating system running on the protected hosts?
– In a virtualized data center, guest operating system kernels were modified to eliminate the need for binary translation. which compute virtualization technique was used?
– What should an organization consider before migrating its applications and operating system to the public cloud to prevent vendor lock-in?
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Database Administration is underway?
– What operating systems are used for student computers, devices, laptops, etc.?
– What operating system does your computer use?
– Is unauthorized access to operating systems prevented?
Bachelor’s degree Critical Criteria:
Inquire about Bachelor’s degree tasks and probe the present value of growth of Bachelor’s degree.
Database management system Critical Criteria:
Meet over Database management system adoptions and ask questions.
– What database management systems have been implemented?
– Do we have past Database Administration Successes?
Locks with ordered sharing Critical Criteria:
Sort Locks with ordered sharing failures and define Locks with ordered sharing competency-based leadership.
– Is maximizing Database Administration protection the same as minimizing Database Administration loss?
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Database Administration with what users do day-to-day?
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Database Administration processes?
Computer data storage Critical Criteria:
Distinguish Computer data storage decisions and handle a jump-start course to Computer data storage.
– In the case of a Database Administration project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Database Administration project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Database Administration project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– Will Database Administration have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
Oracle Corporation Critical Criteria:
Be responsible for Oracle Corporation management and describe the risks of Oracle Corporation sustainability.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Database Administration workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– Is there a Database Administration Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
Halloween Problem Critical Criteria:
Generalize Halloween Problem leadership and probe the present value of growth of Halloween Problem.
– What is the purpose of Database Administration in relation to the mission?
– How to deal with Database Administration Changes?
System Monitoring Critical Criteria:
Ventilate your thoughts about System Monitoring leadership and research ways can we become the System Monitoring company that would put us out of business.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Database Administration processes?
Database caching Critical Criteria:
Trace Database caching planning and customize techniques for implementing Database caching controls.
– Do we all define Database Administration in the same way?
Database integrity Critical Criteria:
Adapt Database integrity engagements and finalize specific methods for Database integrity acceptance.
– Do the Database Administration decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
– Is Supporting Database Administration documentation required?
Data recovery Critical Criteria:
Understand Data recovery tasks and raise human resource and employment practices for Data recovery.
– What is the most competent data recovery service in the us?
Object-relational mapping Critical Criteria:
Bootstrap Object-relational mapping outcomes and describe the risks of Object-relational mapping sustainability.
– Think of your Database Administration project. what are the main functions?
– What is our Database Administration Strategy?
Database Administration Critical Criteria:
Illustrate Database Administration leadership and ask questions.
– How do we Identify specific Database Administration investment and emerging trends?
Load file Critical Criteria:
Shape Load file governance and sort Load file activities.
– What business benefits will Database Administration goals deliver if achieved?
– What are internal and external Database Administration relations?
Data migration Critical Criteria:
Drive Data migration risks and develop and take control of the Data migration initiative.
– The process of conducting a data migration involves access to both the legacy source and the target source. The target source must be configured according to requirements. If youre using a contractor and provided that the contractor is under strict confidentiality, do you permit the contractor to house copies of your source data during the implementation?
– Data migration does our organization have a resource (dba, etc) who understands your current database structure and who can extract data into a pre-defined file and format?
– With the traditional approach to data migration, delays due to specification changes are an expected (and accepted) part of most projects. does this sound familiar?
– Data migration are there any external users accounts existing and will these user accounts need to be migrated to the new lms?
– How do we ensure that implementations of Database Administration products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– Does Database Administration analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
– Are there data migration issues?
Database normalization Critical Criteria:
Revitalize Database normalization issues and point out improvements in Database normalization.
– Who will provide the final approval of Database Administration deliverables?
Analytical skill Critical Criteria:
Mix Analytical skill goals and balance specific methods for improving Analytical skill results.
– Is the Database Administration organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
Program optimization Critical Criteria:
Read up on Program optimization tasks and balance specific methods for improving Program optimization results.
Computer programming Critical Criteria:
Recall Computer programming tasks and get answers.
– Does Database Administration systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Database Administration that make it risky?
Database virtualization Critical Criteria:
Trace Database virtualization adoptions and look in other fields.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Database Administration models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– Will database virtualization take off?
Database security Critical Criteria:
Think carefully about Database security visions and assess and formulate effective operational and Database security strategies.
– How can the value of Database Administration be defined?
Database audit Critical Criteria:
Test Database audit goals and work towards be a leading Database audit expert.
– What are all of our Database Administration domains and what do they do?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Database Administration Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Database forensics External links:
[PDF].at Database Forensics securityresearch
Database machine External links:
Database machine procurement (Microform, 1992) …
Advanced Analytics and Database Machine Learning – Vertica
Oracle Exadata Database Machine Documentation
Database server External links:
Securing Your Database Server
Intelligent database External links:
Intelligent Database – Posts | Facebook
What is intelligent database? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Database publishing External links:
database publishing – Wiktionary
Where to Find Database Publishing Wizard for SQL 2008
Database Publishing Company [WorldCat Identities]
Database tuning External links:
MySQL Optimizer » Database tuning
Distributed computing External links:
[DOC]COURSE TITLE: Distributed Computing Systems
Distributed Computing – Springer
[PDF]Introduction to Distributed Computing
Database connection External links:
Troubleshooting Server and Database Connection …
How To Create a Database Connection from an ASP Page …
Database application External links:
PRESCRIBE Online Database Application
Welcome – Central Supplier Database Application
Academic certificate External links:
Academic Certificate – BCTC
Untitled | Academic Certificate | Academic Degree
Pre-professional Health Academic Certificate Program
Data Source Name External links:
What is Data Source Name (DSN)? Webopedia Definition
Unable to create Data Source Name (DSN) using Group …
Computer security External links:
Best Computer Security | Security Software Companies| …
GateKeeper – Computer Security Lock | Security for Laptops
Computer Security | Consumer Information
Microsoft Windows External links:
Creating a Password Reset Disk in Microsoft Windows …
Computer configuration External links:
MTM Software – Detect Computer Configuration …
Computer Configuration Check – Tribridge
Database administrator External links:
[PDF]CLASS TITLE: DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR – …
[PDF]Title: Database Administrator Reports To: Director …
Database Administrator Jobs – Apply Now | CareerBuilder
Database model External links:
Database Model – TimeSnapper
Log shipping External links:
How to: Remove Log Shipping (Transact-SQL)
What is SQL Server log shipping?
How to configure security for SQL Server log shipping
Microsoft SQL Server External links:
Update Center for Microsoft SQL Server
Microsoft SQL Server Support | UpSearch
Computer science External links:
Computer Science | School of Engineering
UIC Computer Science
MyComputerCareer | Computer Science | IT Jobs | …
Computer network External links:
What is a Computer Network? Webopedia Definition
Computer Networks – Journal – Elsevier
Database theory External links:
Five Normal Forms in Relational Database Theory – …
Database Theory and Practice for Actuarial Analysis – …
Database-centric architecture External links:
[PDF]LNCS 8277 – A Database-Centric Architecture for …
“Database-centric architecture” on Revolvy.com
Database design External links:
[PDF]Title: Database Design – UDC CSIT
Custom Internet Database Design-Build Engineering …
Negative database External links:
Negative database IDs in SQL Server – Stack Overflow
Associate degree External links:
Relational database management system External links:
NoSQL Relational Database Management System: …
RDB: a Relational Database Management System
Database refactoring External links:
Walkthrough: Apply Database Refactoring Techniques
Two-phase locking External links:
Concurrency Control: Two-phase Locking Protocol – …
[PDF]Two-Phase Locking (2PL) – Kent State University
two-phase locking protocols Flashcards | Quizlet
Technical support External links:
Life Fitness Technical Support – Welcome
Information Builders Technical Support Center
Symantec Enterprise Technical Support
Information technology External links:
Box @ IU | University Information Technology Services
OHIO: Office of Information Technology |About Email
Comparison of database tools External links:
Comparison of database tools | Open Access articles | …
Comparison of Database Tools | Comparison Database …
Database preservation External links:
[PDF]Database Preservation Case Study: Review
openpreservation.org/system/files/Database archiving review.pdf
Critical thinking External links:
Critical Thinking – Welcome – Routledge
What I Learned In Critical Thinking – Home
Operating system External links:
Which Windows operating system am I running? – …
KAR Management Operating System (MOS) – Login
Find Out Which Operating System Is on My Computer …
Bachelor’s degree External links:
Bachelor’s Degree in Public Health – Capella University
Database management system External links:
Petroleum Database Management System (PDMS)
Database Management System | Lucidea
10-7 Operating System, Database Management System, …
Locks with ordered sharing External links:
Locks With Ordered Sharing | Locks Ordered Sharing
Locks with ordered sharing – Revolvy
broom02.revolvy.com/topic/Locks with ordered sharing
Computer data storage External links:
Computer Data Storage Options – Ferris State University
Lecture 16 | Computer Data Storage | Computer Programming
Oracle Corporation – The New York Times
Oracle Corporation: NYSE:ORCL quotes & news – Google …
Halloween Problem External links:
The Parade Problem/The Halloween Problem | Peg + Cat
SML Movie: Bowser Junior’s Halloween Problem! – YouTube
peg + cat-S1E26: THE HALLOWEEN PROBLEM – YouTube
System Monitoring External links:
System Monitoring and Oversight
Database caching External links:
DATABASE CACHING UTILIZING ASYNCHRONOUS LOG-BASED REPLICATION
Database integrity External links:
SQL Database Integrity Check – Free Tool | IDERA
Event ID 257 – System Catalog Database Integrity
DB L10: Database Integrity Flashcards | Quizlet
Data recovery External links:
Data Recovery Services | Kroll Ontrack, LLC
Professional Data Recovery Services | DataTech Labs
Object-relational mapping External links:
[PPT]Object-Relational Mapping – Arizona State University
Database Administration External links:
SEC.gov | Audit of Database Administration
Technology Services / Database Administration Staff
Load file External links:
“Could not load file or assembly …
Data migration External links:
Health Data Archiver | EHR Data Migration, EMR Storage
Data Migration Specialist Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
What is Data Migration? Webopedia Definition
Database normalization External links:
[PDF]Lab 4 Database Normalization Exercises* CS474 …
An Introduction to Database Normalization — Mike …
[PDF]DATABASE NORMALIZATION – Center for …
Analytical skill External links:
ASDI: Analytical Skill Development Institute – Home | Facebook
Program optimization External links:
Program optimization (Book, 1976) [WorldCat.org]
Computer programming External links:
Gwinnett Technical College- Computer Programming
Computer programming | Computing | Khan Academy
Coding for Kids | Computer Programming | AgentCubes online
Database security External links:
Trustwave Database Security Products
Database Security Best Practices – technet.microsoft.com
Database Security Chapter 5 Flashcards | Quizlet
Database audit External links:
Database Audit Results – SC Report Template | Tenable™
Database Audit Specifications (General Page)
Database Audit and Protection (DAP) – Gartner IT Glossary