What is involved in Product Development
Find out what the related areas are that Product Development connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Product Development thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Product Development journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Product Development leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Product Development related domains to cover and 163 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Product Development, New product development, Association of International Product Marketing & Management, Best practice, Brand management, Choice modelling, Conceptual economy, Consumer good, Customer requirement, Customer value proposition, Design for assembly, Design for manufacturability, Design for six sigma, Detailed design document, Engineering design, Flexible product development, High-level design, Industrial design, Integrated Authority File, Integrated product team, Market opportunity, Market penetration, Market research, Market share, National Diet Library, Phase–gate model, Pro-innovation bias, Process management, Product Development and Management Association, Product design, Product lifecycle, Product management, Product strategy, Quality function deployment, Requirements engineering, Requirements management, Social design, Soft launch, Stevens Institute of Technology, Supply chain, User-centered design, User experience, Verification and validation, Virtual product development, Voice of the customer:
Product Development Critical Criteria:
Consolidate Product Development outcomes and innovate what needs to be done with Product Development.
– A dramatic step toward becoming a learning organization is to appoint a chief training officer (CTO) or a chief learning officer (CLO). Many organizations claim to value Human Resources, but how many have a Human Resources representative involved in discussions about research and development commercialization, new product development, the strategic vision of the company, or increasing shareholder value?
– The owner of the product development processes in one of the companies stated: there are no product managers named in the company, what should they do?
– What can we do to ensure that all the necessary product development steps are adequately followed under the pressure of being first to market?
– Compare sequential product development and simultaneous product development. what are the advantages and disadvantages of each approach?
– Do those selected for the Product Development team have a good general understanding of what Product Development is all about?
– Project type: what percent of resources should go to new product developments?
– What are we trying to do whilst progressing a product development lifecycle ?
– How should you most effectively invest your product development resources?
– Which step in new product development you think is the most important?
– Do you collaborate with customers for product development and/or innovation?
– Do you collaborate with customers for product development andor innovation?
– What are the steps in the new product development process?
– How can new product development be sped up?
– What are current Product Development Paradigms?
– How can we improve Product Development?
New product development Critical Criteria:
Disseminate New product development tasks and finalize specific methods for New product development acceptance.
– What is the total cost related to deploying Product Development, including any consulting or professional services?
– In what ways are Product Development vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– Is a Product Development Team Work effort in place?
Association of International Product Marketing & Management Critical Criteria:
Disseminate Association of International Product Marketing & Management results and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Association of International Product Marketing & Management.
– In the case of a Product Development project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Product Development project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Product Development project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– What are the usability implications of Product Development actions?
Best practice Critical Criteria:
Contribute to Best practice adoptions and find the essential reading for Best practice researchers.
– Achieving service management excellence is an on-going process. Just as an organization can never have enough sales, so they can never stop paying attention to service assurance. With service management and assurance having such a critical role for CSPs, how can they both achieve optimal service assurance delivery and implement supporting processes to ensure that best practice continues to be observed?
– Is the software and application development process based on an industry best practice and is information security included throughout the software development life cycle (sdlc) process?
– What ITIL best practices, security and data protection standards and guidelines are in use by the cloud service provider?
– Is the use of CCM destined to become an important and requisite audit methodology best practice?
– Does your organization have a company-wide policy regarding best practices for cyber?
– Who would you consider best practice in any or all of the instore sales drivers?
– Are CSI and organizational change underpinned by Kotters change management best practices?
– What best practices in knowledge management for Service management do we use?
– Which is really software best practice to us, CMM or agile development?
– What best practices are relevant to your service management initiative?
– How does big data impact Data Quality and governance best practices?
– What are the a best practices for Agile SCRUM Product Management?
– What are some best practices for managing business intelligence?
– Are Organizational Change managements best practices (eg Kotter) applied?
– Do we adhere to best practices interface design?
– How much does Product Development help?
– Which rules constitute best practices?
Brand management Critical Criteria:
Boost Brand management tasks and devote time assessing Brand management and its risk.
– How likely is the current Product Development plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
– Are we Assessing Product Development and Risk?
Choice modelling Critical Criteria:
Depict Choice modelling failures and finalize the present value of growth of Choice modelling.
– Does Product Development analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
– How do we Improve Product Development service perception, and satisfaction?
– What threat is Product Development addressing?
Conceptual economy Critical Criteria:
Brainstorm over Conceptual economy tactics and customize techniques for implementing Conceptual economy controls.
– Think about the people you identified for your Product Development project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– How can the value of Product Development be defined?
– What is Effective Product Development?
Consumer good Critical Criteria:
Confer over Consumer good projects and budget for Consumer good challenges.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Product Development. How do we gain traction?
– What business benefits will Product Development goals deliver if achieved?
– How is the value delivered by Product Development being measured?
Customer requirement Critical Criteria:
Focus on Customer requirement decisions and know what your objective is.
– Consider your own Product Development project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– Think about the functions involved in your Product Development project. what processes flow from these functions?
– Will the product of the project fail to satisfy customer requirements if the change request is not executed?
– Will the product of the project fail to satisfy customer requirements if a change request is not executed?
– Does it increase the risk that the organization cannot meet its customer requirements?
– Think of your Product Development project. what are the main functions?
Customer value proposition Critical Criteria:
Inquire about Customer value proposition strategies and learn.
– How can you negotiate Product Development successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– Is maximizing Product Development protection the same as minimizing Product Development loss?
Design for assembly Critical Criteria:
Chat re Design for assembly governance and create Design for assembly explanations for all managers.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Product Development project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– How can skill-level changes improve Product Development?
Design for manufacturability Critical Criteria:
Substantiate Design for manufacturability outcomes and frame using storytelling to create more compelling Design for manufacturability projects.
– How do your measurements capture actionable Product Development information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– What are the business goals Product Development is aiming to achieve?
Design for six sigma Critical Criteria:
Audit Design for six sigma failures and improve Design for six sigma service perception.
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Product Development objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Product Development opportunities costing us money?
Detailed design document Critical Criteria:
Track Detailed design document risks and change contexts.
– What is the purpose of Product Development in relation to the mission?
– What will drive Product Development change?
– What are our Product Development Processes?
Engineering design Critical Criteria:
Participate in Engineering design decisions and tour deciding if Engineering design progress is made.
– Is Product Development dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
– Is Product Development Required?
Flexible product development Critical Criteria:
Boost Flexible product development decisions and find out.
– What management system can we use to leverage the Product Development experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– Do we all define Product Development in the same way?
High-level design Critical Criteria:
Read up on High-level design engagements and devote time assessing High-level design and its risk.
– How do we manage Product Development Knowledge Management (KM)?
– Does Product Development appropriately measure and monitor risk?
Industrial design Critical Criteria:
Discourse Industrial design management and get answers.
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Product Development processes?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Product Development effort?
Integrated Authority File Critical Criteria:
Grasp Integrated Authority File leadership and change contexts.
– Can we add value to the current Product Development decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Product Development objectives?
– What is our Product Development Strategy?
Integrated product team Critical Criteria:
Understand Integrated product team tactics and track iterative Integrated product team results.
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Product Development is underway?
– Are accountability and ownership for Product Development clearly defined?
– Does our organization need more Product Development education?
Market opportunity Critical Criteria:
Merge Market opportunity quality and get going.
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Product Development project?
Market penetration Critical Criteria:
Interpolate Market penetration governance and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Market penetration.
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Product Development values?
Market research Critical Criteria:
Test Market research adoptions and prioritize challenges of Market research.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Product Development processes?
– Does the software allow users to bring in data from outside the company on-the-flylike demographics and market research to augment corporate data?
– Is there a Product Development Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– Are there recognized Product Development problems?
Market share Critical Criteria:
Have a meeting on Market share risks and suggest using storytelling to create more compelling Market share projects.
– Are the calculated sales volumes realistic, taking into account the competitive position, realistic market share, importance of customer problem/pain and stage/maturity of customer needs?
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Product Development is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Product Development strengthening and reform actually originate?
– What drives market share?
National Diet Library Critical Criteria:
Adapt National Diet Library tasks and raise human resource and employment practices for National Diet Library.
– what is the best design framework for Product Development organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
Phase–gate model Critical Criteria:
Track Phase–gate model issues and look at the big picture.
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Product Development strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– Who will provide the final approval of Product Development deliverables?
– Is Supporting Product Development documentation required?
Pro-innovation bias Critical Criteria:
Focus on Pro-innovation bias goals and find out what it really means.
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Product Development ?
– What are internal and external Product Development relations?
– What about Product Development Analysis of results?
Process management Critical Criteria:
Analyze Process management governance and probe Process management strategic alliances.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Product Development process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Product Development process available?
– What process management and improvement tools are we using PDSA/PDCA, ISO 9000, Lean, Balanced Scorecard, Six Sigma, something else?
– What vendors make products that address the Product Development needs?
Product Development and Management Association Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect Product Development and Management Association visions and stake your claim.
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of Product Development?
Product design Critical Criteria:
Map Product design adoptions and spearhead techniques for implementing Product design.
– To what extent has the product architecture and overall product design been developed?
– What are the Key enablers to make this Product Development move?
– How do we Lead with Product Development in Mind?
Product lifecycle Critical Criteria:
Infer Product lifecycle projects and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive Product lifecycle projects.
– Does Product Development include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
Product management Critical Criteria:
Read up on Product management decisions and get the big picture.
– A vital question in new product management is: how should the business most effectively invest its research and development (r&d) and new product resources?
– In marketplace businesses what is the optimal relationship between product management Category Management and marketing?
– What is the optimal relationship between Product Management Category Management and Marketing?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Product Development that make it risky?
Product strategy Critical Criteria:
Air ideas re Product strategy leadership and devise Product strategy key steps.
– How well does the product fit with our product strategy?
– Why are Product Development skills important?
Quality function deployment Critical Criteria:
Accommodate Quality function deployment quality and shift your focus.
– Why is Product Development important for you now?
Requirements engineering Critical Criteria:
Merge Requirements engineering results and suggest using storytelling to create more compelling Requirements engineering projects.
Requirements management Critical Criteria:
Nurse Requirements management results and innovate what needs to be done with Requirements management.
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Product Development moving forward?
– What kind of support for requirements management will be needed?
– How do we go about Securing Product Development?
Social design Critical Criteria:
Be responsible for Social design goals and pay attention to the small things.
– How will you know that the Product Development project has been successful?
Soft launch Critical Criteria:
Transcribe Soft launch goals and know what your objective is.
– Does Product Development systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– How to Secure Product Development?
Stevens Institute of Technology Critical Criteria:
Differentiate Stevens Institute of Technology failures and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive Stevens Institute of Technology projects.
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Product Development with what users do day-to-day?
– Which Product Development goals are the most important?
Supply chain Critical Criteria:
Reorganize Supply chain results and get out your magnifying glass.
– The pharmaceutical industry is also taking advantage of digital progress. It is using IoT for supply chain security in packaging and tracking of drugs. There are new companies using computer chips in pills for tracking adherence to drug regimens and associated biometrics. Using this as an example, how will we use and protect this sensitive data?
– How is the complex digital supply chain -where multiple downstream providers provide services for each other and data residence and transmission points are increasingly obscure -being dealt with from an audit perspective?
– Now that organizations have fine-tuned human performance, supply chain, operations, processes, cycle time, and other targeted areas, how can they continue to improve performance?
– There is a need to determine where value is added in the supply chain what are the expectations of each stakeholder in the supply chain?
– To change the nature of the relationship in the supply chain where should we go and what leverage opportunity could be applied?
– Does Supply Chain Integration Mediate the Relationships between Product/Process Strategy and Service Performance?
– How can sluggish supply chains be empowered by IoT to make them more transparent and responsive?
– What makes cloud computing well suited for supply chain management applications?
– What are the roles of suppliers and supply chain partners in CRM?
– Do any suppliers in the supply chain have a dominating position?
– How do we go about Comparing Product Development approaches/solutions?
– Do your supply chain relationships tend to be longeror shorter-term?
– What and where are the value changes in the supply chain?
– What is our current position within our supply chain?
– What does the supply chain do with product data?
– In HW, SW & Services we source from a global supply chain?
User-centered design Critical Criteria:
Detail User-centered design tactics and define User-centered design competency-based leadership.
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Product Development delivery for example is new software needed?
– Does the Product Development task fit the clients priorities?
User experience Critical Criteria:
Illustrate User experience governance and look at it backwards.
– What do you think the world of enterprise software delivery will look like in ten to fifteen years (take into account practices, technology, and user experience)?
– How can I avoid duplication of identity, attributes, and credentials and provide a single sign-on user experience for my users?
– Where does User Experience come from, what does it add to the software development process and what methods are available?
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Product Development leader?
– What is the difference between information architecture and user experience design?
– What are the potential impacts to user experience by using a cloud-based service?
– What are the problems when integrating Agile Development and User Experience?
– Agile-User Experience Design: With or Without a Usability Expert in the Team?
– What is the difference between customer experience and user experience?
– What are the best-practices for creating a good User Experience?
– What does User Experience do?
– What is User Experience?
Verification and validation Critical Criteria:
Start Verification and validation engagements and finalize specific methods for Verification and validation acceptance.
– What are the Essentials of Internal Product Development Management?
– Who sets the Product Development standards?
Virtual product development Critical Criteria:
Collaborate on Virtual product development goals and look at it backwards.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Product Development into the services that we provide?
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Product Development activities?
Voice of the customer Critical Criteria:
Accelerate Voice of the customer quality and ask what if.
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Product Development Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Product Development External links:
KEK | Industrial Design + Product Development
Invention Design, Product Development & Licensing | …
i3 Product Development – Official Site
New product development External links:
New product development (Book, 1986) [WorldCat.org]
New Product Development Center
Best practice External links:
[PDF]ALTA BEST PRACTICE POLICIES Our Pledge – Title …
www.titlecorockies.com/PDF/Best Practices Pledge 2014m .pdf
Best Practices — Attorneys Title I North Carolina
[PDF]Best Practices 2013
Brand management External links:
Atlanta, GA Marketing and Brand Management – Vehicle Media
IDEATION | Creative Brand Management
The InSite Group – Your Brand Management Experts
Conceptual economy External links:
Winning Lessons for Entrepreneurs in the Conceptual Economy
Consumer good External links:
iShares U.S. Consumer Goods ETF | IYK
Boytone Electronics and Consumer Goods
ARY Inc. Consumer Goods
Design for assembly External links:
[PDF]Design For Assembly – chinaview.store
[PDF]Design For Assembly – ostore.store
Design For Assembly – massmoca.store
Design for manufacturability External links:
Design for Manufacturability (eBook, 2014) [WorldCat.org]
[PDF]Design For Manufacturability – yuanbao.store
[PDF]Design For Manufacturability – Sheet Metal Guidelines
Design for six sigma External links:
Design for Six sigma (Book, 2003) [WorldCat.org]
Design for Six Sigma | HANSER eLibrary
[PDF]Design For Six Sigma (DFSS)
Engineering design External links:
Engineering Design & Testing – ED&T Engineers
High-level design External links:
[PDF]ITS Graphical Report Maker High-Level Design
Industrial design External links:
Home | TXS INDUSTRIAL DESIGN
Home | School of Industrial Design | Georgia Tech
Industrial Design | Appalachian State University
Integrated Authority File External links:
MEDLARS indexing: integrated authority file
Integrated product team External links:
Integrated product team
An Integrated Product Team (IPT) is a multidisciplinary group of people who are collectively responsible for delivering a defined product or process. IPTs are used in complex development programs/projects for review and decision making. The emphasis of the IPT is on involvement of all stakeholders (users, customers, management, developers, contractors) in a collaborative forum.
Integrated Product Team – dau.gdit.com
Integrated Product Team (IPT) – U.S. Army PM PNT – …
Market opportunity External links:
What is Market Opportunity? definition and meaning
The Market Opportunity for Machine Learning/Deep …
Market Opportunity | Aprecia
Market penetration External links:
Ansoff Matrix – Market Penetration Strategy
Market Penetration – Pollo Tropical
Market Penetration – Commentary Magazine
Market research External links:
Market Overview & Stock Market Research | Scottrade
1Q | Instant Mobile Marketing / Market Research
Research Now: Online Market Research Company
Market share External links:
Market Share Reports in Title Insurance – HDEP …
Title Market Share
Title Market Share
National Diet Library External links:
Online Gallery | National Diet Library
National Diet Library law. (Book, 1961) [WorldCat.org]
Pro-innovation bias External links:
Pro-innovation bias – Revolvy
Pro-Innovation Bias – Sparkonit
In diffusion of innovation theory, a pro-innovation bias is the belief that an innovation should be adopted by whole society without the need of its alteration. The innovation’s “champion” has such strong bias in favor of the innovation, that he/she may not see its limitations or weaknesses and continues to promote it nonetheless.
Process management External links:
Sales Process Management | ProspectStream
HEFLO BPM | Business Process Management
BP3 | Business Process Management
Product Development and Management Association External links:
Cincinnati Product Development and Management Association
Product design External links:
Chilid: Hi-end Web Product Design & Frontend Development
ModernFuelDesign shop | Innovative product design
Focus Product Design
Product lifecycle External links:
Agile Product Lifecycle Management
Agile Product Lifecycle Management
Agile Product Lifecycle Management – MyPepsiCo
Product management External links:
Sequent Learning Networks – Product Management …
ProdPad | Product Management Software
The Black Box of Product Management
Product strategy External links:
Excellent Company | Brand | Communications | Product Strategy
Chapter 12: Product Strategy Flashcards | Quizlet
Partial Product Strategy Mr Mault’s Class – YouTube
Quality function deployment External links:
what is QFD? (quality function deployment) – IMPACture
QFD Online – Quality Function Deployment
Quality function deployment (QFD) — A means for …
Requirements engineering External links:
Requirements Engineering: Processes and Techniques …
CiteSeerX — Requirements Engineering
Requirements management External links:
Requirements Management Software – Capterra
Requirements Management Policy – RPM-2 RPM-2
Social design External links:
Social Design Sydney — designing for social outcomes
DSI / Social Design
InWithForward – a social design organization
Soft launch External links:
Lost Longinus N.Sp | SOFT LAUNCH VS HARD LAUNCH! ? …
Stevens Institute of Technology External links:
Support The Stevens Fund – Stevens Institute of Technology
Stevens Institute of Technology
Stevens Institute of Technology – Forbes
Supply chain External links:
Logistics, Supply Chain Management and Order …
ArrowStream | Rethink Your Supply Chain
St. Charles Trading, Inc. | Global Supply Chain Management
User-centered design External links:
What is User-Centered Design | IGI Global
[PDF]User-Centered Design – University of Pittsburgh
User-Centered Design (UCD) Process Description
User experience External links:
Google User Experience Research
Cooper | A user experience design and strategy firm
User Experience | UX Design Tools | Optimal Workshop
Virtual product development External links:
Voice of the customer External links:
Customer SONAR™ | Tune in to the Voice of the Customer
How To Succeed with a Voice of the Customer (VoC) Program
[PDF]THE VOICE OF THE CUSTOMER. – mit.edu