What is involved in Virtual Desktop Infrastructure
Find out what the related areas are that Virtual Desktop Infrastructure connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Virtual Desktop Infrastructure thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Virtual Desktop Infrastructure journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Virtual Desktop Infrastructure leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Virtual Desktop Infrastructure related domains to cover and 98 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Virtual Desktop Infrastructure, Desktop virtualization, Apple–Intel architecture, Application software, Application virtualization, Citrix XenApp, Cloud computing, Data as a service, Desktop environment, Hardware virtualization, Microsoft App-V, Microsoft Windows, Oracle Corporation, Parallels Desktop for Mac, Remote Desktop Protocol, Remote Desktop Services, Software as a service, Tablet computer, Thin client, VMware Fusion, VMware Horizon View, VMware ThinApp, Virtual PC:
Virtual Desktop Infrastructure Critical Criteria:
Paraphrase Virtual Desktop Infrastructure governance and don’t overlook the obvious.
– And once again, the same issues are being raised: how does the agency reduce support costs for operational applications that are accessed from personal devices?
– What should an organization consider before migrating its applications and operating system to the public cloud to prevent vendor lock-in?
– Is the server registered in the [email protected] tenable/nessus scanning tool for scans to be administered at least once per quarter?
– Which type of attack could enable the installation of a rogue hypervisor and take control of underlying server resources?
– Which hypervisor component is responsible for performing binary translation of instructions that can not be virtualized?
– Which parameter determines the maximum amount of cpu and memory resources that can be consumed by a child resource pool?
– You are asked to create four vlans on a newly installed physical ethernet switch. how should you configure the vlans?
– Which cloud characteristic enables the consumers to use cloud services from a wide range of client platforms?
– Which software allows an administrator to create and publish a service catalogue?
– Which statement is true about a trunk link in a vlan environment?
– Which product provides an application virtualization solution?
– What is a feature of virtual machine file system (vmfs)?
– How is the term recovery point objective (rpo) defined?
– Independence with vdi, who cares what device you use?
– What is the name of the rackspace cloud service?
– Which emc product offers cdp functionality?
– What is a benefit of data striping in raid?
– Which migration strategy is recommended?
– What is a function of a backup server?
– What best describes vm isolation?
Desktop virtualization Critical Criteria:
Understand Desktop virtualization leadership and correct better engagement with Desktop virtualization results.
– How would the developing vdi (vmware) and ddi (citrix) solutions meet the desktop virtualization challenges presented by ringling college?
– In a project to restructure Virtual Desktop Infrastructure outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
– Are assumptions made in Virtual Desktop Infrastructure stated explicitly?
– What are the usability implications of Virtual Desktop Infrastructure actions?
Apple–Intel architecture Critical Criteria:
Conceptualize Apple–Intel architecture quality and find the essential reading for Apple–Intel architecture researchers.
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate Virtual Desktop Infrastructure delivery for example is new software needed?
– Do we have past Virtual Desktop Infrastructure Successes?
– Why are Virtual Desktop Infrastructure skills important?
Application software Critical Criteria:
Extrapolate Application software results and find out what it really means.
– How do you manage the new access devices using their own new application software?
– Are accountability and ownership for Virtual Desktop Infrastructure clearly defined?
– Is the process effectively supported by the legacy application software?
– Why should we adopt a Virtual Desktop Infrastructure framework?
Application virtualization Critical Criteria:
Probe Application virtualization tasks and secure Application virtualization creativity.
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Virtual Desktop Infrastructure project manager?
– Will Virtual Desktop Infrastructure deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
Citrix XenApp Critical Criteria:
X-ray Citrix XenApp adoptions and get going.
– What is the source of the strategies for Virtual Desktop Infrastructure strengthening and reform?
– Do Virtual Desktop Infrastructure rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
– How would one define Virtual Desktop Infrastructure leadership?
– What about disaster recovery?
Cloud computing Critical Criteria:
Canvass Cloud computing failures and adjust implementation of Cloud computing.
– How might we classify current cloud computing offerings across a spectrum, and how do the technical and business challenges differ depending on where in the spectrum a particular offering lies?
– What are the specific security and integrity threats to cloud computing storage systems that do not exist in private data centers?
– Does the cloud solution offer equal or greater data security capabilities than those provided by your organizations data center?
– For a customer-facing application, is the move to cloud computing expected to increase the number of customers accessing it?
– If the application is used to generate revenue, is the move to cloud computing expected to increase that revenue?
– Is it more economical to move my existing datacenter-hosted service to the cloud, or to keep it in a datacenter?
– Have you considered that incident detection and response can be more complicated in a cloud-based environment?
– There are issues relating to policy and access. if your data is stored abroad whose policy do you adhere to?
– What does it take to become a cloud computing provider, and why would a company consider becoming one?
– How can a small cloud computing consultancy take advantage of the Federal Cloud Computing Strategy?
– What new opportunities are either enabled by or potential drivers of cloud computing?
– what is the difference between an application service and an infrastructure service?
– Which cloud service model encompasses the complete cloud computing stack?
– What is the importance of standards-based cloud computing?
– What are the benefits of cloud computing to consumers?
– What are the usability issues around cloud computing?
– What will cloud computing look like in 5 years?
– Is there a market for developing niche clouds?
– How does BYOD affect security in the cloud?
– Why is cloud computing important?
Data as a service Critical Criteria:
Exchange ideas about Data as a service outcomes and probe using an integrated framework to make sure Data as a service is getting what it needs.
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Virtual Desktop Infrastructure strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– Is maximizing Virtual Desktop Infrastructure protection the same as minimizing Virtual Desktop Infrastructure loss?
Desktop environment Critical Criteria:
Air ideas re Desktop environment tactics and revise understanding of Desktop environment architectures.
– Which customers cant participate in our Virtual Desktop Infrastructure domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Virtual Desktop Infrastructure effort?
Hardware virtualization Critical Criteria:
Reorganize Hardware virtualization planning and check on ways to get started with Hardware virtualization.
– Do we monitor the Virtual Desktop Infrastructure decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– What are all of our Virtual Desktop Infrastructure domains and what do they do?
– How will you measure your Virtual Desktop Infrastructure effectiveness?
Microsoft App-V Critical Criteria:
Give examples of Microsoft App-V leadership and grade techniques for implementing Microsoft App-V controls.
– How can you negotiate Virtual Desktop Infrastructure successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– What are the business goals Virtual Desktop Infrastructure is aiming to achieve?
– What are current Virtual Desktop Infrastructure Paradigms?
Microsoft Windows Critical Criteria:
Do a round table on Microsoft Windows tactics and catalog what business benefits will Microsoft Windows goals deliver if achieved.
– Do those selected for the Virtual Desktop Infrastructure team have a good general understanding of what Virtual Desktop Infrastructure is all about?
– How can the value of Virtual Desktop Infrastructure be defined?
– How to Secure Virtual Desktop Infrastructure?
Oracle Corporation Critical Criteria:
Wrangle Oracle Corporation goals and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive Oracle Corporation decisions.
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Virtual Desktop Infrastructure?
– Are we Assessing Virtual Desktop Infrastructure and Risk?
Parallels Desktop for Mac Critical Criteria:
Coach on Parallels Desktop for Mac management and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Parallels Desktop for Mac.
– What will drive Virtual Desktop Infrastructure change?
– How do we maintain Virtual Desktop Infrastructures Integrity?
– How do we Lead with Virtual Desktop Infrastructure in Mind?
Remote Desktop Protocol Critical Criteria:
Consolidate Remote Desktop Protocol adoptions and suggest using storytelling to create more compelling Remote Desktop Protocol projects.
– Does our organization need more Virtual Desktop Infrastructure education?
– Why is Virtual Desktop Infrastructure important for you now?
Remote Desktop Services Critical Criteria:
Pilot Remote Desktop Services goals and describe which business rules are needed as Remote Desktop Services interface.
– Consider your own Virtual Desktop Infrastructure project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– Which statement is true about remote desktop services (rds)?
– Do we all define Virtual Desktop Infrastructure in the same way?
Software as a service Critical Criteria:
Grasp Software as a service risks and oversee Software as a service requirements.
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Virtual Desktop Infrastructure does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– Why are Service Level Agreements a dying breed in the software as a service industry?
Tablet computer Critical Criteria:
Nurse Tablet computer quality and report on the economics of relationships managing Tablet computer and constraints.
– Can we add value to the current Virtual Desktop Infrastructure decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Virtual Desktop Infrastructure processes?
– How do we go about Securing Virtual Desktop Infrastructure?
Thin client Critical Criteria:
Consolidate Thin client outcomes and triple focus on important concepts of Thin client relationship management.
– Have you identified your Virtual Desktop Infrastructure key performance indicators?
VMware Fusion Critical Criteria:
Use past VMware Fusion engagements and revise understanding of VMware Fusion architectures.
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Virtual Desktop Infrastructure values?
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Virtual Desktop Infrastructure objectives?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Virtual Desktop Infrastructure requirements in detail?
VMware Horizon View Critical Criteria:
Brainstorm over VMware Horizon View decisions and prioritize challenges of VMware Horizon View.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Virtual Desktop Infrastructure in a volatile global economy?
– Is Virtual Desktop Infrastructure Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
VMware ThinApp Critical Criteria:
Pay attention to VMware ThinApp failures and find out what it really means.
– What is the purpose of Virtual Desktop Infrastructure in relation to the mission?
– How do we go about Comparing Virtual Desktop Infrastructure approaches/solutions?
Virtual PC Critical Criteria:
Adapt Virtual PC planning and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Virtual PC.
– Does Virtual Desktop Infrastructure create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Virtual Desktop Infrastructure Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Virtual Desktop Infrastructure External links:
Horizon 7 | Virtual Desktop Infrastructure | VDI | VMware
[PPT]Virtual Desktop Infrastructure – View Document
www.icit.state.ia.us/Members/olsc/uploads/VDI Part I Justify.pptx
Desktop virtualization External links:
Application and Desktop Virtualization – Citrix
MED-V – Microsoft Desktop Virtualization | TechNet
Remote Desktop Virtualization Host
Application software External links:
Title application software Free Download for Windows
wiTECH Diagnostic Application Software Download – …
Citrix XenApp External links:
HQDA Citrix XenApp Application Portal
Citrix XenApp 6.0 | FileMaker Community
Cloud computing External links:
Microsoft Azure Cloud Computing Platform & Services
Cloud Computing and Data Center Infrastructure as a Service
Data as a service External links:
Data As A Service – Pricing | Octoparse
M-DaaS: Master Data as a Service Solution – D&B
[PDF]Oracle Data as a Service for Business
Desktop environment External links:
Lumina Desktop Environment | Exploring and sharing …
Microsoft App-V External links:
Microsoft App-V – Virtual Applications | TechNet
Roel Beijnes | Microsoft App-V and workspace related topics
Oracle Corporation External links:
Remote Desktop Protocol External links:
Understanding the Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP)
Remote Desktop Protocol (Windows) – msdn.microsoft.com
Remote Desktop Services External links:
Using certificates in Remote Desktop Services
Remote Desktop Services – technet.microsoft.com
Remote Desktop Services tools are not functional after …
Software as a service External links:
Enterprise Gamification Software as a Service Platform
Software As A Service – SaaS – Investopedia
Software as a Service | Accenture
Tablet computer External links:
Buy Used and Save: Buy a Used “HP TouchPad Wi-Fi 32 GB 9.7-Inch Tablet Computer” and save 46% off the $149.99 list price.
Yuma 2 rugged tablet computer
Samsung Galaxy Book: Windows Tablet Computer | …
Thin client External links:
WTware for Raspberry Pi — thin client operating system
TER Death Thin Client Page – Death Registration System
HP Thin Client software and OS | HP® Official Site
VMware Fusion External links:
Download VMware Fusion | VMware
VMware Fusion – Official Site
VMware Horizon View External links:
VMware Horizon View
NYCHHC – VMware Horizon View
NYCHHC – VMware Horizon View
VMware ThinApp External links:
Nov 24, 2015 · Free Download VMware ThinApp 5.2.0-3231342 – Create ThinApp packages, accelerate application deployment and …
Virtual PC External links:
Virtual PC | Division of Information Technology
How to Make a ‘Virtual PC’ on Your USB Device (with Pictures)
With Microsoft Virtual PC 2007, you can create and run one or more virtual machines, each with its own operating system, on a single computer.